Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard)

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #21  
As mentioned, Rim Guard prices are all over the place. Depends on where you live. Rim Guard in my area is $3.70 a gallon and I have to bring tractor to dealer and leave it for the day. If I could have got the Washington price of $1.50 a gallon I'd have used that. I couldn't so I went with -20* Windshield Washer fluid.

Same for me! Local truck tire place wanted $250 to load all 4 tires on my MF GC2600 after I brought them in! :eek: I didn't even bother asking for the on-site price. Needless to say -20* wally world washer fluid for $1.97/gallon is what I ended up doing. Bonus for me is the wife did all the work at wally world for me! :D Then one of the kids helped me open jugs and dump them in the bucket over a weekend. Already had buckets and submersible pump so just had to buy a 3ft hose and adapter. Saved myself at least $150. I would have paid more for Rimguard if I could have bought it and filled myself, but everywhere I looked it said "dealer only" and delivered to them in bulk tanks. I didn't have something to put 30 gallons of fluid in to bring home, so that wasn't really an option.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #22  
Same for me! Local truck tire place wanted $250 to load all 4 tires on my MF GC2600 after I brought them in! :eek: I didn't even bother asking for the on-site price. Needless to say -20* wally world washer fluid for $1.97/gallon is what I ended up doing. Bonus for me is the wife did all the work at wally world for me! :D Then one of the kids helped me open jugs and dump them in the bucket over a weekend. Already had buckets and submersible pump so just had to buy a 3ft hose and adapter. Saved myself at least $150. I would have paid more for Rimguard if I could have bought it and filled myself, but everywhere I looked it said "dealer only" and delivered to them in bulk tanks. I didn't have something to put 30 gallons of fluid in to bring home, so that wasn't really an option.

Don't know if I mentioned it before but dealer would not sell Rimguard to me by the gallon. Only they can fill the tires. Just my rears would have cost over $275. plus tax.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #23  
Don't know if I mentioned it before but dealer would not sell Rimguard to me by the gallon. Only they can fill the tires. Just my rears would have cost over $275. plus tax.

I seem to remember that you could have 250 gals or some such quantity shipped on a pallat from the factory in aplastic tank of some kind. I went the Rim Guard route but luckily found a dealer with a fair price who did it as I was transporting my tractor between Alabama and KY. I only needed about 110 gals.

Had it in about a year and to me it is a no brainer. Stuff is heavy as Cal chloride and has no dangers that I am the least concerned about. Works in tubeless tires. Just drove my new tractor to the dealer and he pumped it in while I went and had a hamburger. Bill was $300 and change.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #24  
I seem to remember that you could have 250 gals or some such quantity shipped on a pallat from the factory in aplastic tank of some kind. I went the Rim Guard route but luckily found a dealer with a fair price who did it as I was transporting my tractor between Alabama and KY. I only needed about 110 gals.

Had it in about a year and to me it is a no brainer. Stuff is heavy as Cal chloride and has no dangers that I am the least concerned about. Works in tubeless tires. Just drove my new tractor to the dealer and he pumped it in while I went and had a hamburger. Bill was $300 and change.

I only needed 78 gallons. I did contact RimGuard and they told me I'd have to get it from one of their dealers. They gave me the local dealers name (only one within 50 miles). Cost was $100 too high for me. $100 buys a lot of diesel.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #25  
I only needed 78 gallons. I did contact RimGuard and they told me I'd have to get it from one of their dealers. They gave me the local dealers name (only one within 50 miles). Cost was $100 too high for me. $100 buys a lot of diesel.

Seems like pretty inexpensive counter-weight/ballast compared to OEM wheel weights. With shipping - handling/installation, final cost is often more than $2 per pound.

If the rimguard weighs more than water (8lbs/gal), say 10lbs per gallon, that would mean an equal priced gallon of rimguard would be worth $20.00/gallon.

AKfish

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #26  

When I saw it was delivered to dealers in bulk tanks I didn't even think about asking if they would sell by the gallon for me to pump in myself. Partly due it not being packaged for resale, partly due to me not having any sort of container to transport it in.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #27  
Seems like pretty inexpensive counter-weight/ballast compared to OEM wheel weights. With shipping - handling/installation, final cost is often more than $2 per pound.

If the rimguard weighs more than water (8lbs/gal), say 10lbs per gallon, that would mean an equal priced gallon of rimguard would be worth $20.00/gallon.

AKfish

I put 80lbs in each rear tire for $40 with washer fluid. It'll take another $16 for the front. So around $50 total with tax. That's $200 less than the dealer wanted for rim guard (before tax), and I don't have to mess with putting the tractor on blocks for a day while I drive the wheels to the dealer and pick them up after work before coming home to wrestle them out of the truck bed and back onto the tractor. Or load it up on a trailer and hope they'll fill them while on the tractor. It sounded like they needed me to take them off though based on their email response. That was a no brainer for me. I'm not even going to count the $8 for the fill adapter as I'll use that to save other people money by doing the same for them. ****, I can even fill my buddy's lawn mower tires to help him get more traction on his hills. Something he never would have thought about, but now I can help him do it for the cost of a few bottles.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #28  
The point people seem to be missing here is
1: If you bring a set of new tires bought elsewhere to a tire shop to be mounted and filled, they are going to charge you more for mounting, than if you had bought the tires from them.
2: Comparing Windshield Washer fluid to Rimguard as a wheel weight is like comparing Apples to Oranges. Apples and Oranges are both fruit, but not the same. Windshield Washer Fluid and Rimguard and both weights but not equal amount per gallon. Water is 8.34lbs/gal and windshield washer fluid is almost identical, Rimguard website says it is 10.7 to 11.0lbs/gal. Rimguard states their product costs $0.28/lb and washer fluid works out to $0.24/lb. So if your goal is to get as much weight in your tires as possible, you loose with washer fluid and have not saved too much money on a per pound basis.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #29  
The point people seem to be missing here is
1: If you bring a set of new tires bought elsewhere to a tire shop to be mounted and filled, they are going to charge you more for mounting, than if you had bought the tires from them.
2: Comparing Windshield Washer fluid to Rimguard as a wheel weight is like comparing Apples to Oranges. Apples and Oranges are both fruit, but not the same. Windshield Washer Fluid and Rimguard and both weights but not equal amount per gallon. Water is 8.34lbs/gal and windshield washer fluid is almost identical, Rimguard website says it is 10.7 to 11.0lbs/gal. Rimguard states their product costs $0.28/lb and washer fluid works out to $0.24/lb. So if your goal is to get as much weight in your tires as possible, you loose with washer fluid and have not saved too much money on a per pound basis.

I think you're missing my point.

Rimguard's guide lists these fill amounts:
26x12-12 8.3 gallons @ 88.8 lbs
18x8.5-8 3 gallons @ 32.1 lbs

I filled each of my rears with 10 gallons of washer fluid for 83 lbs. Lets assume I can only fit an extra 1 gallon in the front instead of 2 like the rear, above what Rimguard says. That's 33.2 lbs, or the same as Rimguard if the dealer does it "by the book."

So you're saying it's worth an extra $200 for 17.6 lbs? That's ridiculous. :laughing: I did both rear tires in 20 minutes with equipment cobbled together in my basement after watching 1 youtube video. So where is the extra $200? You can't tell me it takes the dealer, with professional equipment and no bottles to open and pour, 3x as long to charge a full $60-$80 hour's worth of labor. Even if they did that leaves $170 for materials that I paid $50 for. Still seems like a waste of money.

Now, if the Rimguard dealer pumps more fluid in than Rimguard recommends, that helps a little. Or if the added cost involved mounting new tires. However, my quote involved me doing labor to remove wheels from the tractor to bring them 30 miles away. So my time, plus gas, plus the inconvenience of blocking the tractor to take all 4 wheels off to pay $200 for only 17 extra pounds makes it not even worth considering. I have well over 17lbs in scrap metal laying around if I *really* need to add that much onto the tractor. :D My wife weighs more than 17lbs more than I do, and even with her driving we still had traction issues. So 17lbs is not a deal breaker for me. ;)

Another changing factor would be if I could buy rimguard by the gallon and pump it in myself. If I could buy it, even at double the price of WWF it would be worth paying the $80 for 20 gallons for the rear, and $16 for the front. It would be less than half the cost of the dealer doing it, and provide a marginal increase in weight. Since that's not an option, Rimguard is out in my book.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #30  
Can you even buy RG by the gallon/55 gallon barrel? I wouldn't mind using it, but I'm not taking my tractor +200 miles - one way - to the nearest dealer for it. Now, if I could pick up a barrel or two and install it myself, then it's just a matter of the next time I'm up in KY or thereabouts.