Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire?

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #21  
Just finished up my main gates and laid out the fence perimeter. I'll need 4 rolls of wire. Planning to get all the gates in first. I have 6 of them.

Attachments

• IMG_3491[1].JPG
    IMG_3491[1].JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3492[1].JPG
    IMG_3492[1].JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3493[1].JPG
    IMG_3493[1].JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 36
   / Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #22  
You also need to find a good crimper to connect each roll of fencing. To me, this is the thing I hate the most. My crimper does the job, but I hate using it. I put two sleeves on the top and bottom wire, and a single sleeve on the other wires.

View attachment 839350
What type of crimp and crimper do you use?

All the best,

Peter

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #23  
I started out with Red Brand 2x4 horse fence in 200 foot rolls. I was getting them from Lowes for $240 a roll, plus 10% off for my military discount. It's good fencing. Then when everything became hard to find in 2020, I bought whatever I could find, wherever it was sold. Tractor Supply and Atwood's would get a roll or two, and I would buy it as fast as I could. Prices shot up to $330 a roll for OK Brand, which I paid. In the last year, supply has gotten better, but it's still hit or miss if it's in stock at my local stores, or if I have to drive half an hour to an hour to get what I want. Lowes hasn't had much for fencing until recently, and their prices went up to $360 a roll for 200 feet of Red Brand, but OK Brand is down to $299 at Atwood's and Tractor Supply. I just looked online and Tractor Supply is on sale for $269 a roll. I'm buying OK Brand, and except for the red paint, it's the same thing as Red Brand.

I stretch 4 point high tensile barbed wire from corner post to corner post to lay out my wood posts every 100 feet, and my T posts every ten feet. I set all my wood posts in concrete. I've pulled enough wood posts out of the ground with and without concrete to know there is a significant difference with concrete.

I'm not a fan of H bracing. Every H brace is only as strong as it's diagonal bracing. I'm using 2 inch galvanized pipe set in concrete for my diagonal bracing. On long runs, I'll put diagonal braces on my wood posts every 200 feet.

I'm using a Man Saver T post pounder to get all my T posts in the ground. It's really impressed me, and at the end of the day, I'm not dead tired or sore.

If you don't have one, be sure to buy a Clip Bender. I wore my first one out and bought another right away. When I wear this one out, I'll buy another. Nothing works like it does, and once you've used it, you wont' use anything else.

Those clip bender tools are a big help
You also need to find a good crimper to connect each roll of fencing. To me, this is the thing I hate the most. My crimper does the job, but I hate using it. I put two sleeves on the top and bottom wire, and a single sleeve on the other wires.

View attachment 839350
i just put the two vertical end wires together, then double back the horizontal wires to loop the two together and then wrap the horizontal wire back on itself for each horizontal wire. No crimp sleeves needed.

Last edited:
   / Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #24  
Anyone ever use the Baekert T-post clips? They have a special tool that goes in your cordless drill that does the twisting.

Baekert T-post clips

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #25  
Just finished up my main gates and laid out the fence perimeter. I'll need 4 rolls of wire. Planning to get all the gates in first. I have 6 of them.
Only my main gate will be pipe panel. The others are just old school posts hinged with wire on one end and latched with wire on the other. Not sure what the official name is for it, but most ranches back home use them. Much cheaper than buying many gates.

@EddieWalker. My wife found some place around Greenville (iirc) that sells discounted fencing. Given the size of our project and the low-intensity need (mostly for dogs and discouraging trespassing), we are OK if it's not perfect. I don't think the stretcher bar is worth the $100+ to me. You probably have a lot more feet to do than me. I think I may try the shorter posts, but soil is sandy loam, so it may not work for me.

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #26  
I used Red Brand Eversharp. 665 T-145 steel posts and 28 rolls of barbed wire. I have 80 acres. 1320 x 2640. After 40+ years the wire is still strong as ever and the barbs are still sharp as razors. I've never heard of the other brand you mentioned.

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #27  
Here's another tool that is super handy!!!! On my corners, I staple every line, and I do the top and bottom line twice. On my line posts, which are every 100 feet, I put in 5 staples. I'm using OK Brand barbed staples, but any barbed staple is gonna be the same.

Something that surprised me is how important a comfortable hammer is. I have an older, solid wood handled hammer that I thought I would dedicate to fencing and keep it with all my fencing stuff. Mostly a couple of buckets with everything I need in them to install fencing. After day of pounding staples, my forearms where screaming. It became harder and harder just to pick up the hammer. Eventually, I just couldn't take it anymore. The next day, I used my Bostik rubber handled hammer that I keep in my truck for jobs that I'm doing. It's lighter, easier to swing, and the rubber handle absorbs the shock of hitting the staples. Night and day improvement!!!!!

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #28  
Only my main gate will be pipe panel. The others are just old school posts hinged with wire on one end and latched with wire on the other. Not sure what the official name is for it, but most ranches back home use them. Much cheaper than buying many gates.

@EddieWalker. My wife found some place around Greenville (iirc) that sells discounted fencing. Given the size of our project and the low-intensity need (mostly for dogs and discouraging trespassing), we are OK if it's not perfect. I don't think the stretcher bar is worth the $100+ to me. You probably have a lot more feet to do than me. I think I may try the shorter posts, but soil is sandy loam, so it may not work for me.
Do they sell 2x4 Horse fencing? I have cattle, horses and small Nigerian Pygmy goats. The only fence that works for all my animals, and hopefully keeps out the coyotes and wild hogs is the most expensive fence out there. If the price is better, it might be worth driving an hour to Greenville!!!!!

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #29  
Do they sell 2x4 Horse fencing? I have cattle, horses and small Nigerian Pygmy goats. The only fence that works for all my animals, and hopefully keeps out the coyotes and wild hogs is the most expensive fence out there. If the price is better, it might be worth driving an hour to Greenville!!!!!
That stuff is great, but it’s only sold in 100’ rolls and very expensive. I have it on my horse pen, but it’s too costly for perimeter fencing.

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #30  
Here's another tool that is super handy!!!! On my corners, I staple every line, and I do the top and bottom line twice. On my line posts, which are every 100 feet, I put in 5 staples. I'm using OK Brand barbed staples, but any barbed staple is gonna be the same.

Something that surprised me is how important a comfortable hammer is. I have an older, solid wood handled hammer that I thought I would dedicate to fencing and keep it with all my fencing stuff. Mostly a couple of buckets with everything I need in them to install fencing. After day of pounding staples, my forearms where screaming. It became harder and harder just to pick up the hammer. Eventually, I just couldn't take it anymore. The next day, I used my Bostik rubber handled hammer that I keep in my truck for jobs that I'm doing. It's lighter, easier to swing, and the rubber handle absorbs the shock of hitting the staples. Night and day improvement!!!!!
Might want something like this on your Christmas list....