Belt Tensioner

/ Belt Tensioner #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I have a Ford 917 flail mower. Over the years I have had to adjust the belt tension semi regularly.

I have been spoiled by the serpentine belts in automotive applications in that they have automatic tensioners.

I wonder if an automotive belt tensioner could be adapted to my 917 flail mower?

/ Belt Tensioner #2  
No reason it couldn’t be adapted, but I have a 917H with the spring tensioner, other than lacking the serpentine belt, the tensioner is just a large, clunky version. Also, I use my flail two to three times a year for about five hours each time, but don’t tension the belt, but every two or three years.

/ Belt Tensioner
I didn’t know a 917h had a spring tensioner can you post a picture of it?

/ Belt Tensioner #4  
You are right, no spring. Don't know what I was thinking, but it could be added very simply

Getting old and confused. 😕

/ Belt Tensioner
I wonder if an automotive valve spring would work?

Last edited:
   / Belt Tensioner #7  
Maybe a pair of them or a long spring.

/ Belt Tensioner #8  
A spring for a screen door just cut to size

willy

/ Belt Tensioner #9  
All of the 917s I have owned, had a spring under the adjusting nut. I used whatever I could find, but the stiffer the better. A valve spring would work.

/ Belt Tensioner
All of the 917s I have owned, had a spring under the adjusting nut. I used whatever I could find, but the stiffer the better. A valve spring would work.
The two 917 flails I have owned did NOT have a spring. The manual I have does not show a spring.

If one has been added to yours, can you post a picture of it?

Attachments

• Belt Adjustment Ford 917.PNG
    Belt Adjustment Ford 917.PNG
    141.6 KB · Views: 91