Belt Tensioner

/ Belt Tensioner #11  
Sorry, I no longer own a 917, and upgraded to a 918. The spring would be under the adjusting nut and the jam nut would be used to lock the adjusting nut. The bracket the rod runs through should be moved to the left, which would allow room for the spring, washer(s) and double nuts. A nylon grommet for the rod to ride in is another option.

/ Belt Tensioner #12  
belt-adjustment-ford-917-png.827339

This is how mine is as well.

They already knew how to make automatic tensioners by then but figured it might remind people there are grease zerks in there too. As it would happen, snugging the belt is a lot easier than changing a bearing.

/ Belt Tensioner
Sorry, I no longer own a 917, and upgraded to a 918. The spring would be under the adjusting nut and the jam nut would be used to lock the adjusting nut. The bracket the rod runs through should be moved to the left, which would allow room for the spring, washer(s) and double nuts. A nylon grommet for the rod to ride in is another option.
Thanks

Your description of how it was done makes sense and is what I was thinking would have to be done to add a spring.