Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #1  

Novice Brit

Bronze Member
Suffolk UK (no land) Charente France (with land)
Tractor
JD 2032R
Hi All,

Last year my lawn was visited by some very large wild boar, leaving large holes all over it, making it very difficult to mow. I am shortly to be buying compact tractor (my first) and wonder what attachment you guys think would be best for sorting this out without totally destroying the grass? The lawn area is around 2/3 acre and approx a half has been dug up.

I am thinking of a box blade or possibly landscape rake but wonder if anyone agrees or has a better suggestion. The box blade will obviously make things more level but could be at the expense of the grass, the rake will be kinder to the grass but probably won't do such a good job of levelling?

Thanks in advance

Dave

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #2  
If half of it is dug up then it is easier to rework the whole thing than to try to patch it. BTDT. It is difficult to fill in so many spots and have any uniformity to the lawn when finished. I have tried this several times on customer lawns in years past, now I either fix it all or pass on the job. Several of the jobs I passed up have come back and I have tilled the whole lawn and replanted with good results.

Might be a good time if you pursue this to use a land plane grader scraper to smooth out the seedbed before planting and rolling. If you have experience with a box blade you can use it too.

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar
If half of it is dug up then it is easier to rework the whole thing than to try to patch it. BTDT. It is difficult to fill in so many spots and have any uniformity to the lawn when finished. I have tried this several times on customer lawns in years past, now I either fix it all or pass on the job. Several of the jobs I passed up have come back and I have tilled the whole lawn and replanted with good results.

Might be a good time if you pursue this to use a land plane grader scraper to smooth out the seedbed before planting and rolling. If you have experience with a box blade you can use it too.

Thank you jenkinsph, did wonder about starting again (wasn't sure of the best way though) and suspect you are right but had seen a youtube video of an individual box blading and leaving what look like sufficient grass to regrow. Although probably half the lawn has been affected there is decent lawn between the holes of that half so thought it might be worth a shot at saving first. Additionally I wasn't going to go for a tiller just yet (finance driven), although did have plans to in the future as do want to plant half an acre or so of produce. I had no plans to go for a roller, maybe if I can become slick with the box blade I can get away with not having one even if i have to start from scratch?

I have never used a tractor before in my life let alone a box blade so I'll probably make a right mess but guess I have to learn sometime and sounds like I have nothing to lose as I'll probably have to bite the bullet and do it properly (your way) anyway.

Cheers

Dave

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #4  
I have a good Landscape Rake. Certainly it will move soil but the tines will also tear the lawn. Probably not much net gain.

You will not be able to do tasks requiring fine control adjustment until you get quite a few hours practice. I am afraid a complete rework is the best solution.

Be sure to get a soil test.

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #5  
Around here, the preferred attachment for boar is the .30-06 , I suppose that in Europe, a shotgun with slugs would suffice.
That's speaking on the preventative side. For the fix, I would recommend a box blade as they can be adjusted to do minimal damage to the turf and
just cut off the tops of the high spots...and...you wouldn't want to finish it all at once...that's why you have a tractor.:thumbsup:

I have a good Landscape Rake. Certainly it will move soil but the tines will also tear the lawn. Probably not much net gain.

You will not be able to do tasks requiring fine control adjustment until you get quite a few hours practice. I am afraid a complete rework is the best solution.

Be sure to get a soil test.

Thank you Jeff,

Suspect i am going to struggle with everything tractor related at first but boy am I excited:).

Hope i will be far more proficient though when the lawn is back in shape but suspect it will take me long time to get right!

Funny you mention soil testing as I bought a decent kit but have been very slack and haven't used it yet, will do though.

Cheers again

Dave

Around here, the preferred attachment for boar is the .30-06 , I suppose that in Europe, a shotgun with slugs would suffice.
That's speaking on the preventative side. For the fix, I would recommend a box blade as they can be adjusted to do minimal damage to the turf and
just cut off the tops of the high spots...and...you wouldn't want to finish it all at once...that's why you have a tractor.:thumbsup:

:laughing:
Cheers Spiros, No gun yet, need to go on a course to obtain a license in France and my French needs to be more proficient yet but will get there. I do have visions of a boar supplying barbecue meat (bautiful meat) but just accept the holes in the garden as part and parcel of a property in rural paradise:).

I am going to attempt to use a box blade on rough spots but expect I will make a right hash of it and that the ultimate solution will be as earlier posters have suggested but you have given me more confidence to at least try.

Cheers

Dave

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #8  
Fact is that once visited, you will be visited again.

If you intend to plant a large garden, then a landscape rake will serve you well in preparing that soil, so consider getting one sooner rather than later.

Read up on hog control methods...they cannot be eradicated, only controlled. Texas is a hotbed of feral hogs in the US.

Control Techniques for Feral Hogs « Texas Natural Wildlife

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/

Less expensive way to control Texas' feral hog population may come from Australia - Caller-Times

http://feralhogs.tamu.eCoping with Feral Hogsdu/

Fact is that once visited, you will be visited again.

If you intend to plant a large garden, then a landscape rake will serve you well in preparing that soil, so consider getting one sooner rather than later.

Read up on hog control methods...they cannot be eradicated, only controlled. Texas is a hotbed of feral hogs in the US.

Control Techniques for Feral Hogs ォ Texas Natural Wildlife

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/

Less expensive way to control Texas' feral hog population may come from Australia - Caller-Times

http://feralhogs.tamu.eCoping with Feral Hogsdu/

Thanks texasJohn,

Sounds like I have some fencing work to do:-(. Will add a post hole digger to wish list!

I might be lucky though. As in most of France there is a lot of hunting that goes on locally and my 'offenders' may have been eaten already! I haven't been in France since late December but the neighbours haven't mentioned a recurrence and the 'tear-up' was the first the neighbours had known in 20 years so keeping fingers crossed but sure i am going to have to add fencing skills to the many things I am going to need to learn - all good fun:).

thanks for all the links, currently need to do some work but will have a read this evening.

Best rgds

Dave

Thanks texasJohn,

Sounds like I have some fencing work to do:-(. Will add a post hole digger to wish list!

I might be lucky though. As in most of France there is a lot of hunting that goes on locally and my 'offenders' may have been eaten already! I haven't been in France since late December but the neighbours haven't mentioned a recurrence and the 'tear-up' was the first the neighbours had known in 20 years so keeping fingers crossed but sure i am going to have to add fencing skills to the many things I am going to need to learn - all good fun:).

thanks for all the links, currently need to do some work but will have a read this evening.

Best rgds

Dave

Oh, forgot to add, Landscape rake on the the list with Flail mower and box blade for first purchases, thanks......