Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #11  
You won't be able to fence hogs out...doesn't work...but a fence will show you where they are entering the property...makes a good place to put a wire snare.

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar
You won't be able to fence hogs out...doesn't work...but a fence will show you where they are entering the property...makes a good place to put a wire snare.

Cheers again texasJohn,

You are making me hungry, more visions of a hog on the barbecue:). Firm believer in every cloud has a silver lining, the scales of life nearly always balance out. Will definitely have a read of your earlier links this evening and looking forward to it.

Best rgds

Dave

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #13  
I would try and figure out what kind of grub/plant the boars were digging for and make sure I got rid of that so it didn't happen again. I'm in the camp of you will probably further ahead by redoing larger areas verses spot repair. Easier and faster in the long run. Good luck!

I would try and figure out what kind of grub/plant the boars were digging for and make sure I got rid of that so it didn't happen again. I'm in the camp of you will probably further ahead by redoing larger areas verses spot repair. Easier and faster in the long run. Good luck!

Cheers Deerherd,

Interesting re what the boars were digging for as there was a lot of feed in the woods, fallen chesnuts, wall and hazlenuts but the areas they dug up most were those areas I had endeavoured to get under control. I took over land that had mostly been neglected for a long time. The lawn suffered most followed by areas I and family had cleared of brambles, wild grassland was little touched. What they were after is certainly not obvious to me but probably would be to someone with more country experience. Unfortunately I only saw the diggings a couple of months after the event.

Yes virtually resigned to re-doing the lawn completely but will have some 'practice' with the box blade before i do:).

Thanks again

Dave

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #15  

he's got garden plans....he's gonna have them come back, when he least expects it. They are nocturnal, hard to be where they are with effective control method in place, takes careful planning. See links in my post.

Hogs are omnivorous, eat carrion, live fawns, nuts, grubs , you know, omnivorous!!!:pig:

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #16  
The box blade. If your working sod it's best to import dirt and spread/level it. Then over seed. The box blade should have gauge wheels to get a proper job.

Cultivating the lawn and starting over will be the best way to go.

Wild hog --- trichinosis.

/ Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #17  
:laughing:
Cheers Spiros, No gun yet, need to go on a course to obtain a license in France and my French needs to be more proficient yet but will get there. I do have visions of a boar supplying barbecue meat (bautiful meat) but just accept the holes in the garden as part and parcel of a property in rural paradise:).

I am going to attempt to use a box blade on rough spots but expect I will make a right hash of it and that the ultimate solution will be as earlier posters have suggested but you have given me more confidence to at least try.

Cheers

Dave

Curious what other uses you have for the box blade and rake?

I use all of these mentioned attachments and get good results out of them. For a novice a box blade has the longest learning curve when attempting to get a good finish. I use a box blade more often when I need to change grade on a field, for instance when I need to reshape areas requiring a cut and fill. If you need to make larger cuts and move the dirt into low areas to make corrections the box blade is a good choice.

Where I need to perform smoothing tasks where the dirt is moved a minimal distance such as you describe a land plane grader scraper(lpgs) or fel bucket is my choice. I use a fel bucket when it is a small job because it is handy and or available without the need to change rear implements. The lpgs is much easier to use on larger areas, does a good job of smoothing over bumps and holes and is an easy attachment to utilize for a novice. Most people use a lpgs to smooth driveways and gravel roads, I find that they are also good for smoothing lawn and field areas too.

I use landscape rakes primarily when I need to collect surface debris and perform minor smoothing. Great tool to have when you need to do clean up tasks. I find I use them more when starting a job and need to clear the debris such as sticks, vegetation and surface rocks that deter finish grading. While you can use them to smooth a field they are not as good for this as a lpgs which is more precise.

I find that having top and tilt for the 3 ph is very beneficial, particularly for box blade work. I would buy the tnt before any of the secondary use implements on my list.

If it were me and starting from scratch I would buy a tractor with fel, landscape rake if there is lots of surface debris, lpgs and a tiller. I would consider whether I could get by with steel posts and simple post driver for the fencing and hold out for a hydraulic auger buy or rent when needed. A seeder or broadcast spreader is another useful tool, depending on the need you may be able to get by with a walk behind while getting started. I am fortunate to have a good variety of implements to work with but I did build these up over the years. If money is tight you really need to think about which implements are the most useful and save you the most time and labor.

Here are a few pics of the implements I use the most for lawn and pasture smoothing and grading along with a post hole digger. While I have a large and small landscape rake, box blade, tiller, lpgs, and seeder the ones pictured get the most use.

Attachments

• Butch W  new lawn work 004.jpg
    Butch W new lawn work 004.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 81
  • X749 and PSR 003.jpg
    X749 and PSR 003.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 113
  • X749 and PSR 004.jpg
    X749 and PSR 004.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 3pt harrow 8' 005.jpg
    3pt harrow 8' 005.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 90
  • PA30 002.jpg
    PA30 002.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 54
   / Best attachment for levelling out lawn dug up by wild boar #18  
I have never used a tractor before in my life let alone a box blade so I'll probably make a right mess but guess I have to learn sometime and sounds like I have nothing to lose as I'll probably have to bite the bullet and do it properly (your way) anyway.

Cheers

Dave

Always keep in mind - IT'S JUST DIRT, YOU CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER PASS IF IT ISN'T TO YOUR LIKING :)

The box blade. If your working sod it's best to import dirt and spread/level it. Then over seed. The box blade should have gauge wheels to get a proper job.

Cultivating the lawn and starting over will be the best way to go.

Wild hog --- trichinosis.

Cheers Egon,

Will look out for gauge wheels.

re Trichinosis, you are just trying to spoil my barbecue vision:)......

Best

Dave