Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area?

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #11  
If you decide to use asphalt millings, I've got 300 cubic yards, free, if you load it, and of course, haul it. And I agree with others - the hot sun will pack it hard.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #12  
Just did that exact project with recycled asphalt. Got 4 truck loads delivered to me free! The stuff is the BOMB.
I love it. Will never use recycled concrete again.
Did I mention it’s delivered for free?

I did rent a vibratory roller to compact it real tight and smooth.
1 day $250.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #14  
I’d use the same gravel that’s on your driveway. Gravel is about the cheapest material that provides suitable results.
If it's just cars n pickups, that's what I would do too.
Spray some round-up if you have it and spread the gravel around.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #15  
Just did that exact project with recycled asphalt. Got 4 truck loads delivered to me free! The stuff is the BOMB.
I love it. Will never use recycled concrete again.
Did I mention it’s delivered for free?

I did rent a vibratory roller to compact it real tight and smooth.
1 day $250.
Can you post pics of the finished compacted recycled asphalt? Curious how it looks compared to a regular asphalt driveway.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #16  
Can you post pics of the finished compacted recycled asphalt? Curious how it looks compared to a regular asphalt driveway.
I have recycled concrete & other than a few funky colored "rocks" mixed in you can't tell it from road base. Apparently their magnet wasn't working or working well & I'm still finding bits of metal in there years later. Some bits of clay tiles, plastic or painted concrete in there. Strangely some round blue glass pebles show up occasionally.

The material packs in as well as road base & looks fine. The occasional trash, mostly the metal that can kill tires makes me unhappy. If it were cheaper I'd think about it again. But around here it's the same price as real rock roadbase.

Put down geotextile (heavy duty woven landscape fabric) down before you put rock on it. Otherwise the rock eventually gets pushed down into the dirt/mud & dissapears. How fast it disappears depends on your soil & moisture.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #17  
Crushed concrete is the lowest cost here. I've used it and liked it.
I have used both recycled concrete and recycled asphalt. Concrete is very dusty and remains so for its life. The asphalt as previously stated will warm under the sun and will become a solid mass again and is cleaner..

I have geotextile mat under my drive to cure the potholes that always showed up. Its been over 10 years on the drive and its as solid today as 10 years ago. Of course you have to put a 6" layer of material on top of the geotextile fabric. The stuff is now sold at big box stores: https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?sf_categoryHierarchy=&search=geotextile

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #18  
I’d use the same gravel that’s on your driveway. Gravel is about the cheapest material that provides suitable results.
Agree with 4570. I did this "exact" same project at my vacation home [side parking area maybe 20x30ft] and pondered the wide bunch of options mentioned here. Recycled blacktop packs well, makes a more durable long term surface and does a great job over top of some firm base. However, it will always mismatch your existing gravel. Your orig post plan is right. After clearing down to solid under surface, backfill with any cheap coarser gravel available (not over 2") and pack that down with your tractor or whatever heavier machine you can find or borrow. 30x30 is not big so this is not going to take long. Once the base is firm, rained on a couple times and repacked, I'd use crusher run 3/4" gravel which makes a very good parking area, is usually the most common material at gravel plants and should look like your main drive when done. 'Crusher run' has enough loose gravel dust in between the stones that it packs well and makes a smoother surface long-term. In my central WV source that gravel is $19/ton and $40 extra per truckload to "tailgate it" distributing it over you area. I think 12 to 15 tons is about right for your 30x30 though construction folks near you should be able to give you a better estimate. You will need a FEL on your BX or some kind of means to do smoothing and palcement of the gravel even if the delivery truck does the tailgating to spread it for you.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #19  
Another thought is that for the few hundred bucks it costs for a cheap one, it may be worth getting yourself a plate tamper. It will do a very nice job of packing everything, and you'll find it's something you end up using all the time once you have one.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #20  
Recycled asphalt is great stuff, but nearly impossible to find in my area.
They truck it back to the mix plant, and use it in new asphalt.

This guy has some.