Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area?

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #21  
Can you post pics of the finished compacted recycled asphalt? Curious how it looks compared to a regular asphalt driveway.
Here is one I did. It continues to
PXL_20210603_172907724.jpg
PXL_20210604_145922351.jpg
PXL_20210604_213713674.jpg
PXL_20210605_160641679.jpg
together for a few months after laying it down but there are always some loose rocks on top. To compare to regular asphalt is a little unfair as it cost 4 to 5 times as much as recycled. The recycled asphalt is the best reasonably priced/cheap driveway I've found. No it's not as good as new hot asphalt or concrete but for the price it's pretty awesome.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #22  
I have heard of complaints when using “millings” as driveway material. That they always remain gummy and stick to shoes and are tracked inside of the house. Friend had this issue had to pour large concrete parking areas outside of house & shop to prevent tracking. He regretted the 20 tri axle loads that made up his driveway

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #23  
I have heard of complaints when using “millings” as driveway material. That they always remain gummy and stick to shoes and are tracked inside of the house. Friend had this issue had to pour large concrete parking areas outside of house & shop to prevent tracking. He regretted the 20 tri axle loads that made up his driveway
I have heard of complaints when using “millings” as driveway material. That they always remain gummy and stick to shoes and are tracked inside of the house. Friend had this issue had to pour large concrete parking areas outside of house & shop to prevent tracking. He regretted the 20 tri axle loads that made up his driveway.

That sucks but it isn't something I ve seen from the two suppliers I use.(and I do a decent amount of these each year) The stuff is actually dry and dusty when being put down and has to be watered to compact properly.

Just like anything I'm sure they're are different qualities of product. I pay a little extra for what they call "fine milled and screened".

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #24  
I pull off my driveway and park wherever on my lawn. Spring and summer photos of my lawn. Summer gets mighty dry around these parts.

IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_0184.jpeg

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #25  
Where recycled really pays off is when you have moderate or steep inclines.
Once the sun 'cooks' or re fuses the recycled you avoid wash outs from rain storms.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #26  
Another thought is that for the few hundred bucks it costs for a cheap one, it may be worth getting yourself a plate tamper. It will do a very nice job of packing everything, and you'll find it's something you end up using all the time once you have one.

A plate tamper isn’t heavy enough to do anything beyond what you could do by just rolling it back and forth with your truck or tractor. And they’re expensive. $5-600 for a very bottom of the barrel to a couple grand.

Last edited:
   / Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #27  
Once the sun 'cooks' or re fuses the recycled you avoid wash outs from rain storms.
Ya. My BiL got recycled asphalt 10 or 12 years ago. Spread by hand and didn't pack other than driving on it and the sun fused it hard enough that it passes for just poured asphalt. Still going strong.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #28  
I agree about the post stating the virtues of recycled asphalt. I used it on our driveway and it has held up pretty nice. We have a short incline that was graded wrong to begin with and always would rut out ever time. I laid the millings on there a little thicker and regraded the best I could. After the sun fused it together we have had zero problems with it rutting out. I can get it gate spread for $300 a load.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #29  

Sand spread on top will pack in and eliminate tracking.

/ Best "cheap" materials for gravel parking area? #30  
Good isn't cheap and cheap isn't good.

Stone numbers are a regional thing it seems so many don't follow the lingo.

But you are also in Ohio, so what I say will make sense to you.

Typical drive in Ohio is base with 8" or so of 1's and 2's. Then top that with 3-4" of 304's. This will lock the base 1-2's together and make a smooth hard surface.

At this point you can just leave it, and after a rain or two it will be like concrete. Or you can top with a 1" cost of either 8's or 57's.

The 8's and 57's are usually $3-$4 a ton more than the 1-2's and 304's. Mostly because of demand because that is what everyone topcoats with