Best Implement to build a dirt road?

/ Best Implement to build a dirt road? #11  
I don't know about conditions where you live but where I am it is best not to disturb the natural soil. The roots of the grass on your road will help hold it together when it is wet. Once you disturb the path grass by blading you create a perfect mud hole option. That's not necessarily bad if you like mudding on your ATV.

/ Best Implement to build a dirt road? #12  
After some logging on my property, I picked off the branches and slash, then took after it with disc and a drag. Seeded it, and now maintain it with a rotary cutter.

/ Best Implement to build a dirt road? #13  
So many variables - how often you need to use it, what will you be driving on it, type of soil. .. . For me, on a drive way - I think a nice crown is really important - sheds the water. At least a bit of a ditch on each side - does not have to be that deep. I have both a box blade and grader blade and use both, but I like the grader blade angled to throw up gravel and build a crown. Of course, you may not plan on having any gravel if it is not regularly needed for access.

But again - it depends a lot on the variables... and as stated you may not want to disturb the dirt too much.

/ Best Implement to build a dirt road? #14  
I have found a heavy box blade with hydraulic rippers and a top n tilt kit works great for grading and shaping as well as snow removal. Also works great for a counterweight doing FEL work and with a receiver hitch can be useful for moving trailers and dragging things.

/ Best Implement to build a dirt road? #15  
I found the best way to keep a trail open is to tear it up with an ATV.

/ Best Implement to build a dirt road? #16  
After 8 years I bet he has it figured out.

/ Best Implement to build a dirt road? #18  
Hire a skilled operator on a cat to build the bed with a crown like beowolf says above. Ditches for drainage on both sides if possible. If you have any really mucky places consider road fabric WF2 12.5 ft. x 432 ft. Polypropylene Black Woven Stabilization Fabric-2-125-432 - The Home Depot under gravel. If you have watched gravel disappear into mud you will know why.

If you gravel it then use a rake to distribute the gravel and maintain the crown. No crown (drainage) means potholes in your future.

My driveway is nearly a mile long and I give it about an inch of gravel every year and a blade never touches it. Just the rake. I distribute toward the center one month and the next month or so I distribute to the outside. The rake allows it to fall evenly as I move. KEEP THE CROWN ONCE YOU GET IT!

About everyone coming up my driveway comments on it. I even get the mail delivered to my house if it won't fit in my box as the delivery gal says ours is the only driveway without a mud hole.

/ Best Implement to build a dirt road? #19  
I found a York rake to be invaluable for the final leveling and working various grades of stone. I found an older one with adjustable rear casters, Safire and dozen blade.
The Safire and blade also help break loose the smaller imbedded stones, and smooth out the contour prior to stone, then it was all rake.
3 tools in one

Got it used for 600

/ Best Implement to build a dirt road? #20