best log splitter for 1500 - 1800?

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800?
Is a 12 second cycle time a big upgrade versus 15 or 18? I don't know how much this would impact a casual user and if it is as important as the force (22 or 35 ton etc). Thanks for the feedback!
Also by the way - anyone order something from TSC because you did not want one that was sitting out for too long? Did you just get one that sat outside somewhere else? I keep all my stuff inside so I dont want to get a new toy and have it be in rough shape.

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #12  
I got a 27 ton troy bilt with the Honda engine last winter and absolutely love it. Very quiet motor, quieter than the Subaru or the Briggs. It will do some serious work, I have put 12 hour days on it and it has never failed me once. I have split probably around 30 cord with it, maybe more. It will split anything I throw at it, it splits through 25" rounds like a hot knife on butter. It splits knotty oak very well too. I probably use it vertically 70% of the time and horizontal 30% of the time for small rounds. Lately I have been using it for about 1 hour a night, no problems at all. :thumbsup: Very happy owner. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    401.8 KB · Views: 441
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 324
   / best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #13  
Those are nice chunks of Doug fir. Mine often have 4"+ knots. My very old former rental splitter rated at maybe 16 tons splits them, but it works at it. 24"+ logs without knots it just plows right thru.

Bachtold brand, made in the midwest, mostly well designed, but as I said, very heavily used. I replaced the engine about 5 years ago when the original wore out. The valve has gotten tired and won't auto retract the ram so I plan to replace the valve this fall.

One design problem is that it is made for someone about 5'5", so at 6'2", I have to bend over a lot. So make sure the rail height is appropriate for you.

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #14  
I rented one from this company a few weeks ago and wow is it ever good, way too much splitter for the occasional user but if you do in the 4 to 5 plus cords a season then I would highly recommend one of these models, it can easily keep up with two people, a little noisy but all gas engines make noise... if you could find one in a rental yard to try for a day you will be hooked...
A wee bit over your budget though:)

Manufacturers of high quality, custom engineered wood splitters, log splitters and wood chippers. | Split-Fire Sales Inc. Quality Built. High Performance. | Split-Fire - Your Best Choice

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #15  
I got this one 30 Ton Log Splitter w/ 9 HP Engine from HF 4 yrs ago for $995 it was on sale and I had a coupon it is now $1700 ($1360 with a 20%off coupon)

It will split horizontal or vertical. I have always used it in vertical mode. Very Very powerful (30 Ton) if the hydro pump has gone to 2nd stage more then 10 time I would be surprised.

Mine came with a Subaru motor, very happy with it. Starts easy runs great and I only run it at about %50 throttle.

We cut and split about 4 cord (+ or -) or red oak every year. We burn 24" logs and this will split up to 25"

My neighbour and I have half shares in the exact same model.(different Country) He has a back problem so uses it in the vertical position while I use it horizontal. Use the FEL to lift wood to the deck height so there is no lifting involved.
Only problem is the positioning of the operating lever. Steadying the log with one hand and operating the lever with the other puts a kink in my back that gets a bit tiresome after a couple of hours. might have to look at some form of extension :)

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #16  
My neighbour and I have half shares in the exact same model.(different Country) He has a back problem so uses it in the vertical position while I use it horizontal. Use the FEL to lift wood to the deck height so there is no lifting involved.
Only problem is the positioning of the operating lever. Steadying the log with one hand and operating the lever with the other puts a kink in my back that gets a bit tiresome after a couple of hours. might have to look at some form of extension :)

I had the same problem with the back because most splitters are made for short people. I built two ramps 6" high that I roll the splitter onto. Then by putting the logs in the FEL bucket set to the same height as the splitter there is no lifting of anything except ready to stack split wood.

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #17  

I have always used it in Vertical position while I sit on a milk crate.

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #19  
For me, in the vertical it's as simple as findin the right size of a cut-off to sit on and split it last..........I typically do the 36 to 18 inch diameter oaks and hickory slabs on the vertical. Once below 18 or so inches I lift them up and set them on the tailgate of my RTV which I back up to the edge of the splitter on the horizontal and use it as a table/work surface and then toss the splits on up to stack in the RTV for transport............

Currently am working on a 38" diameter red oak with twin trunks at 12'. So far have over 30 slabs that I am working on the vertical. Slabs are cut typically around 18" so they are easier to manipulate on the ground.............Still have 10 feet of stump/trunk to work through and at least 100 feet of branches.........

Leo left a path across my place here in NW Georgia with at least 5 trees on my place like the above example...........God bless........Dennis