best log splitter for 1500 - 1800?

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #21  
Even though it is one less engine to maintain, I don't recommend a tractor mounted splitter at all. I like leaving my splitter either out in the woods and I split while loading up the FEL bucket, or I leave the splitter by the wood stack, and I bring the rounds to the splitter in the FEL, then cut and stack.

While my 27 ton splitter with Honda engine works great (got it from Lowe's for about $1k 5 years ago), my father in law has a 22 ton splitter that works equally well. If I put crotch wood on my splitter, it will actually cut the sideways grain (albeit slowly).

Here are a few pictures. These are smaller rounds here, but I've split as big as 36" in the vertical position. Another trick I use sometime is using the backhoe with thumb to lift the big rounds. :thumbsup:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2011-08-13 17.59.28.jpg
    2011-08-13 17.59.28.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 2,330
  • 2011-08-13 18.31.50.jpg
    2011-08-13 18.31.50.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 1,377
  • 2011-08-13 18.16.03.jpg
    2011-08-13 18.16.03.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 1,638
   / best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #22  
Even though it is one less engine to maintain, I don't recommend a tractor mounted splitter at all. I like leaving my splitter either out in the woods and I split while loading up the FEL bucket, or I leave the splitter by the wood stack, and I bring the rounds to the splitter in the FEL, then cut and stack.

Which is what I do with my tractor powered hydraulic log splitter. Some tractor log splitter have legs. Mine would certainly need to be hooked up to the 3PH to be safely used but it was easy to connect/disconnect.

Since my splitter is built into a bench, I leave it near where we process the firewood. I bring the logs to where I process and stack the cord wood. The splitter stays in the same area. I have only moved it twice.

I can haul quite a few logs on the pallet forks to get them out of the woods.

Later,
Dan

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #23  
Which is what I do with my tractor powered hydraulic log splitter. Some tractor log splitter have legs. Mine would certainly need to be hooked up to the 3PH to be safely used but it was easy to connect/disconnect.

Later,
Dan

Hi Dan,
True, you can leave the 3PH splitter there. But, it is really hard to lift the bucket up level with the bed of the splitter and stack wood into it (as I've shown in my picture) while the splitter is attached to the tractor.

It may not even be an issue for some people, and others might not think of using the bucket in this manner. All I can say is that using the bucket has really saved my back.

Each to his own.

Regards,
-Steve

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #24  
I am going to get one of these soon and I have been thinking about the 22 or 35 ton units from TSC (Huskee?). Any others to consider? Just me and a neighbor using it sporadically but some of the trees are pretty big. I have about 40 decent size trees that I need to split right off the bat then just maintenance.

Thanks!

We purchased a Wallenstein WX540 portable log splitter and have used it on walnut. Love the vertical position as the heavier ones can easily be split from the ground to more manageable sizes. It works very well and we are pleased with the performance.

WX500 Series Wood Splitters - Wallenstein

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #25  
Hi Dan,
True, you can leave the 3PH splitter there. But, it is really hard to lift the bucket up level with the bed of the splitter and stack wood into it (as I've shown in my picture) while the splitter is attached to the tractor.

It may not even be an issue for some people, and others might not think of using the bucket in this manner. All I can say is that using the bucket has really saved my back.

Each to his own.

Regards,
-Steve

Using the bucket just seems like it would be very slow.

In my case, if our soil is wet, you do not drive the tractor, unless you want to make a big mess. What has saved my back is building the splitter into a bench that allows me to stand upright without bending over. I spent a long hot, humid summer splitting wood over a log splitter. Never again.

Getting the round up to the table is somewhat easy. I angle some 8' foot long Tposts on the bench so I can roll/scoot the rounds to the top of the bench. I only have to do this with big, heavy rounds. One day I will make a permanent ramp of some kind. I have the idea of using the splitter ram to move a cable which would lift up the rounds. :laughing: Not sure if that would really work but it sounds good. :D

What gets my back is stacking the cord wood. :eek:

Later,
Dan

/ best log splitter for 1500 - 1800? #26  
I do the same as Steve I set my splitter up with the stack behind me lay a couple logs out so i get the perfect distance between the tractor front wheels and the splitter. Set the bucket at the same height as the splitter. Big stuff when split the first time 1/2 just rolls back into the bucket. As it is split to size I just turn and stack. No lifting of any heavy pieces. Placing the bucket on the ground the chunks are just rolled in. The real big stuff I have a set of wood rails I place the logs on that are the same height as the splitters foot when in the vertical position. Then I use the tractor if really big to slide it into position, the rails keep it level so again no lifting. If the tree is a far distance from my stack I have a trailer that I haul everything out to the tree then set up and throw the wood on the trailer as it is split, one more step but not that bad.