Best Nut or thread locking devices

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices
The issue with threadlocking compounds is... The Chinese have invaded the market with counterfeit products. There is only one true threadlocker and that is Henkel Loctite.
I’m thankful for your post. I tried some other red thread locking compounds (price) that failed. Loctite red has been near impossible for me to break without heat. I didn’t want to be a “brand” fanboy, but 2 other off brands baited me by price.It‘s just not worth saving 5 or 10 bucks and having a major problem down the line. Your post has reminded me not to be such a cheapskate too often.
I suppose it’s ok in some areas, but not critical areas.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #52  
download.jpeg

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #53  
This is becoming an educational thread for me. :unsure: I might need to try and find a better supplier for acetone. I can’t buy bulk, as my metal paint cabinet is full.
If you don't mind hanging out in the nail polish area, you can get 100% acetone nail polish remover at Walmart for about $3 for 16 ounces. A bit cheaper than at Lowes from what I saw. It is the Onyx brand. Or you can order online.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #54  
The issue with threadlocking compounds is... The Chinese have invaded the market with counterfeit products. There is only one true threadlocker and that is Henkel Loctite.
I always thought @MossRoad was a true threadlocker :)
Is Henkel Loctite a mod here?

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #56  
I remember my dad doing something like that when I was a kid. It seemed like, after torquing a nut, he would take a punch and dimple a thread on the bolt? I can’t remember the exact process for sure. After getting yelled at for not holding the flashlight correctly, it would cause me to loose interest in the project he was working on. :rolleyes:
I've done that as well but lock tite or a nylon crown nut is easier.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #57  
I always thought @MossRoad was a true threadlocker :)
Is Henkel Loctite a mod here?
Henkel is the parent company that owns Locktite and produces the various formulations. The Chinese have jumped on that bandwagon lately. Easy to tell the difference too. The Chinese stuff is a lot cheaper but the formulations are questionable.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #58  
I've done that as well but lock tite or a nylon crown nut is easier.
The issue with any Nyloc nut is, once used and the insert is deformed by the threads, the nut looses it's locking ability to a great extent. Basically single use nuts. I prefer Castellated nuts and cross drilled fasteners myself.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #59  
Henkel is the parent company that owns Locktite and produces the various formulations. The Chinese have jumped on that bandwagon lately. Easy to tell the difference too. The Chinese stuff is a lot cheaper but the formulations are questionable.

Chinese stuff tends to be thin like water from what I've seen. Locktite is thick and stays put.

Rocksett and Vibra-Tite are decent alternatives if you can't or don't want to use Locktite brand. Rocksett is particularly good for larger thread diameters.

The issue with any Nyloc nut is, once used and the insert is deformed by the threads, the nut looses it's locking ability to a great extent. Basically single use nuts. I prefer Castellated nuts and cross drilled fasteners myself.

Castle nuts with safety wire are about as good as you can get. And yeah, nylocs are too cheap to use twice.....

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #60  
Chinese stuff tends to be thin like water from what I've seen. Locktite is thick and stays put.

Rocksett and Vibra-Tite are decent alternatives if you can't or don't want to use Locktite brand. Rocksett is particularly good for larger thread diameters.

Castle nuts with safety wire are about as good as you can get. And yeah, nylocs are too cheap to use twice.....
Who here is using Castle nuts with safety wire? I'd guess .001 of the people reading this thread. All my nylon cap nuts are grade 5 or 8. Is that what you mean by cheap?