Oil & Fuel Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar)

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #21  
Well ,I'm kinda into that sort of thing.:drool: Looking at how there made,what materials were used etc,.I've had a fram fail , some of the by pass valves are weak . When this happens , the oil isn't filtered If you were to ask in the oil thread. I wouldn't be the only 1 that has cut open an oil filter;)

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #22  
i agree were not talking about total catastropic failure of the thing blowing out at top rpm and ruining the engine or plugging up to starve the engine, were basically taliking about dirty oil bypassing the filter media or the drainback valve not fuctioning 100% and allowing unfiltered oil to pass with or without some amount of clean oil taking with it the contaminents that a filter should remove causing minor wear each time it occurs, over time minor adds up. This dirty oil adds addional wear ontop of usual running. How you prove this, i got no idea but just that some are better than others just by looking so on the micron level you have to wonder an i protecting the best i can?

I am also not saying that NAPA is worse than HOye i dont know but hoye has had theirs designed for the specs in the book, NAPA maybe has or maybe its close enough and the thing will thread on, i dont know, im not an engineer. A side note if you have a say fram blow out on you causing catastrophic oil failure fram has a warrenty itself against this type of stuff, but if they do not list your tractor as a sutible application your out of luck cause they never approved it for that, and there is no way to prove that the thing was bypassing that i know of so forget that. Id like to think that hoye would help me out to some degree if one of their "made for my tractor" filters failed and caused damage.

-Nate

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #23  
Why would anyone want to cut open an oil filter? I have used probably hundreds, of all brands, and never had a bad one. Have you?

Believe it or not but Yes we have. Back then I had better things to do than worry about Oil changes. It was yrs. ago but we was notified by or supplier the manufactuer recomended us not to use a certain filter for a possible problem. They sent us replacements and did not ask for them back. The more I thought about that and what happened I have to say that Ken is right. They were Fram with the same problem. Have to give them credit The oil pressure would show fine but a problem was in the filtration. Moved those D_ _ things around supply room for yrs. the Shop Owner was to cheap to through them out. Personaly I'm not cutting up a filter but do watch my pressure gauge if I have one. I don't put many Hrs. a yr. on my 2000 and only a have a trouble light which you know as well as I do that if it comes on most likely it's to late. So I make sure to keep good Oil and Filter in it.

Carey

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #24  
Napa filter = made by Wix = good

Fram filter = made by acme filter co = ????

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #25  
Napa filter = made by Wix = good

Fram filter = made by acme filter co = ????

ACME makes quality stuff !! Ask Wiley Coyote !!:laughing: He kept them is business for years

When I use the NAPA filters I always use the Gold series

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #27  
i always thought it was allied signal (which was honneywell company). But anyway the changes that i had seen have taken place in the last 3 months to the fram filters that i got at walmart or orileys cant remember? There is obviously a lag time to sell all the old filters off before new appear on shelves so my guess is that it could not have been more than a yr ago?

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #28  
can you guys buy baldwins over there (USA) as thats where they are made so i would imagine the quality is good.

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #29  
can you guys buy baldwins over there (USA) as thats where they are made so i would imagine the quality is good.

Yep, Run them & fleetguard on my dodge

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar)
Still seams strange that the guy at Advance Auto says that for tractors, everyone always buys Fram. One might think this for the same reason that Fram is so popular -- marketing; but why just for tractors?

I'm guessing the Purolator Pure One is going to be too restrictive since it is supposed to filter more at the micron level; but then all these oil filters are also supposed to maintain a certain flow.

So maybe a good quality filter, with a good efficiency rating, and then just keep an eye on the oil color to determine when to change the oil.

It would be nice to hear more about HOW those filters offered by Yanmar dealers are so well matched to what the Yanmar tractor needs.
Maybe just a mater of how many hours between oil changes is recommended in their manual?

I've read that some rinse out the oil pan with a little diesel. I'm guessing they then rinse out the diesel with a little fresh oil.
Does this sound dangerous to anyone else?
If I pulled the oil pan to check the screen, would I also need to replace its gasket?

Lots of great info.
Thanks