Oil & Fuel Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar)

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #31  
Oil color on a diesel won't tell you anything. As soon as you change it & run it. the new oil will be black in a very short time The only way I know of to tell if the oil is good / no good is through UOA

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #32  
Has anyone ever heard of problem with a Yanmar caused by to the quality of oil, or filter?

I don't mean someone who ruined an engine by overheating, or running out of oil, or even found a lot of diesel in the crankcase of a ruined engine, but simply lubrication-caused problems.

I think lubrication problems are very rare, and also that given modern lubricants, these older YM Yanmars can tolerate a broad range of maintenance practices considering the limited annual hours that most of us put on.

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar)
Oil color on a diesel won't tell you anything. As soon as you change it & run it. the new oil will be black in a very short time The only way I know of to tell if the oil is good / no good is through UOA
Thanks for confirming that. I thought this seemed to happen the last time I changed it (my first time with diesel), and just figured it was a bad filter or something. I had always done this color watching with my gas pickup.

Wonder if this color change would take longer with a filter known for efficiency at lower micron size?

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #34  
Wonder if this color change would take longer with a filter known for efficiency at lower micron size?

No .I use a high quality synthetic fiber media filter on my diesel truck. After oil change oil is black.. Soot... Again, color has nothing to do with the life of the oil gas or diesel

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #35  
No .I use a high quality synthetic fiber media filter on my diesel truck. After oil change oil is black.. Soot... Again, color has nothing to do with the life of the oil gas or diesel

the oil in my YM2001 never gets sooty, ever. it does turn a darker gold but never black...788 hours

Now I had a JD755 that would turn the oil black after the first start...unknown hours, guessing into the 3+ thousand

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #36  
i got a ym2000 and 3 (tractor) hours after the oil change it looks dirty golden, but not that sooty black paint colored deisel oil that were used too. At least not like that old mercedes diesel i use to drive (1980 model 300d) That thing would be jet black after at startup after an oil change and let run till filter filled up and cheched for leaks and shutdown, say 2 minutes. The oly time you could see golden oil in it was if you filled it after a change and pulled the dipstick and then it would have a dark streak on it from the oil that clung to it after draining.

-nate

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #37  
I have found a flush is required to keep it from getting back black really fast but techinally I think that is a waste of money.

One thing I now do on all engines (well not the push mower) is pour in new oil 4 oz at the time with the plug still removed until is looks the color of the NEW oil being added.

A diesel that has not been changed in years will still have a lot of the black stuff in oil passages but as noted the color of diesel oil really does not denote dirty oil. If it is not getting black it is not doing its job. :)

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #38  
If it is not getting black it is not doing its job. :)

Or the tractor is taken care of and oil changed at proper intervals during its life. No reason the oil should be SOOT after 1 start. If so it needs flushing as you describe.