best old Cub to look for

/ best old Cub to look for
Thanks for all the great information alot to think about.I really like the Super GT's.Not sure when i will find one?I don't see many for sale around here that goes for all CC and when you do they are over priced imo.I don't ever see any older ones at my dealer either.Even if they did get one it would be way over priced. they have been great and i do all my buisness with them.But their used stuff is pretty high.I also check craigslist every 3 days or so.Not sure now is a great time to buy something i don't need.

Thanks again ps i live in iowa

/ best old Cub to look for #12  
It sounds to me like you are trying to keep the price (and repairs!) down. SGT's are great but they tend to hold their value, for one in good shape you'll have to pay the price, especially for a diesel. The turning radius is also a bit wider on a SGT as compared to the same vintage in a regular garden tractor version.

So your intended use will be a bit of mowing, maybe a blade (I'm assuming snow?), and towing a sprayer. For great value I'd go with a 129 or 149, there are a lot of them around, sell fairly cheap, and easy to work on. That would be my choice, hope this helps!

David

/ best old Cub to look for #13  
What is your price range for what you are looking for?

It sounds to me like you are trying to keep the price (and repairs!) down. SGT's are great but they tend to hold their value, for one in good shape you'll have to pay the price, especially for a diesel. The turning radius is also a bit wider on a SGT as compared to the same vintage in a regular garden tractor version.

So your intended use will be a bit of mowing, maybe a blade (I'm assuming snow?), and towing a sprayer. For great value I'd go with a 129 or 149, there are a lot of them around, sell fairly cheap, and easy to work on. That would be my choice, hope this helps!

David
Hi Dave i got off the track with the SGT's if i fond a great deal i would pull the trigger.But that said i don't see it in the near future.

I agree with your advise on the 129 or 149's.In fact i called a guy tonight that has 2, one for $600 and one for $700.(Same guy i made a thread about "122 cub worth it").1 of the 149 has a rebuilt engine.Has a 1250 (talked about in other thread) i asked about the rubber engine mounts he said they were good and he goes throw all the stuff he sell.He also has a 1862 for sale $2200.
He says the 149's are in good shape.Its a hr or better trip to take a look do you think its worth a look for that $$$.
Thanks Dave ps i was getting advise from you last year when i was looking for a Cub GT and that worked out great thanks again.(04 3235 60"deck 49 hours at the time $2500)

What is your price range for what you are looking for?
I was hoping to stay under $500, but that maybe hard to do?But i'm no hurry and i can wait for a great deal.The economy is not good and this may not be a great time for this but if i find what a like i may go for it?

/ best old Cub to look for #16  
The guy you are speaking to about the 149's, 1250, 1862 - When he says the 1250 iso mounts are "good" it makes me wonder if you can trust him. Are they good because he replaced them, or are they good because he says so? I haven't owned one, but from my reading it sounds like pretty much all the Quietline series needs those mounts replaced, someone else chime in if I'm wrong.

$600 to $700 for a 149 is OK, but it has to be in excellent working order with a good mower deck for it to be worth that, bring it home, turn the key and go. Any amount of rust, controls out of adjustment, very loose steering, etc. and I'd keep looking.

I think I remember the posts about the other tractor last year, I haven't been on this site in quite a while so funny you are looking again.

/ best old Cub to look for #17  
Unless the iso mounts were replaced new (not used) in the last year or so, I would be automatically suspicious. BTW, there is an engine rail modification that can be done to add a cross bar stiffener to extend the life of the iso mounts. Also, they can be replaced with steel mounts if you're willing to put up with some vibration.

If I saw a 149 and a 1450 in the same mechanical condition for the same price, I'd pick the 149 to never have to fool with those iso mounts, the side panels, and the muffler boxes on the 1450 series.

We don't have too many of the Cub super garden tractors around here. Seems like Cub Cadet took the market down that path and then Kubota came along and grabbed the market with the B5200/B6200/B7200....

/ best old Cub to look for #18  
All this talk about old Cubs makes me want to find one, don't get me wrong, I like my 2542 and Sc2400 but one can never have too many toys! (I miss my old Cub 86) I agree with 2manyrocks and would also rather have the 149 over the 1450...although if it were me I'd look for the more rare 169. If I could find a decent 169 it will probably end up in my garage...just don't tell my wife.

/ best old Cub to look for #19  
The guy you are speaking to about the 149's, 1250, 1862 - When he says the 1250 iso mounts are "good" it makes me wonder if you can trust him. Are they good because he replaced them, or are they good because he says so? I haven't owned one, but from my reading it sounds like pretty much all the Quietline series needs those mounts replaced, someone else chime in if I'm wrong.

$600 to $700 for a 149 is OK, but it has to be in excellent working order with a good mower deck for it to be worth that, bring it home, turn the key and go. Any amount of rust, controls out of adjustment, very loose steering, etc. and I'd keep looking.

I think I remember the posts about the other tractor last year, I haven't been on this site in quite a while so funny you are looking again.[/QUOte

NAPA has front end bushings that are even better than OEM. Work great for ISO mounts. A lot cheaper too..

/ best old Cub to look for #20  
Having owned and repaired CC's for close to thirty years it is MHO that one should steer clear of hydros. Get a stick shift. They are almost indestructible. I am currently down to a 1200, 1250 and a 1960 original in addition to the 2542.

I wish I knew how many cubic yards of dirt the Original pushed for me over the years. I moved the dirt blade to the 1250 this last week. It is a tad harder working the implement lever and hydro lever at the same time. May have to move it to the 1200..

Anyway you can't beat old iron CC's. The Kohlers are cheap to rebuild using Stens parts. I have used them since they came out and they are great quality parts.