best old Cub to look for

/ best old Cub to look for #21  
How much fabrication did you have to do to move your dirt blade from your original to your 1250? I'd like to see a picture of what you did.

When you mentioned working the implement and hydro lever at the same time, I thought I share this.

I think we had an original. It had the 7 hp kohler and the toothed belt on the deck. I remember it going a lot further on a tank of gas than the later model IH Cubs. About 1998, I bought and rebuilt a 1250. Old habits must die hard, because my mind keeps going back to wanting to use the clutch and the manual lift --

Last edited:
   / best old Cub to look for #22  
Rocks moving the blade was a chore but once I knew it wouldn't install like the Original it got easier. Using the Original attachments made it hard but I didn't want to fab from scratch. Might do that later. I still have some fine tuning to do but it is usable. I'll wait for warmer weather to do that. Global warming is kicking butt here in the deep south.

I'll see if I can get some pics today. If I can't get the hang of it on the 1250 I'll move it to the 1200. Same frame so it will be easy.

The actual HP of the Original was a squeak under 7 but that's what they called it. I wore the original engine slap out and short blocked it about 25 years ago. It hasn't been started in years. Hate to part with it though. We been through a lot together..

/ best old Cub to look for #23  
Old habits must die hard, because my mind keeps going back to wanting to use the clutch and the manual lift --

I don't miss the clutch, mowing with a hydro is great. I do agree that the manual lift was easier for mowing, I found I could go over rocks and lift and lower very close to the front and back, the hydro lift isn't as easy to time.

I plowed with my John Deere 214 and gear drive. Shifting really can get old on repetetive back and forth like that, again I love the easy movement of a hydro.

/ best old Cub to look for #24  
Here's the pics rocks, I think..Everything is rough. Will make a new lift rod. I just bent the Originals rod to fit.

Attachments

• 1250 dirt blade 001.jpg
    1250 dirt blade 001.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 1250 dirt blade 002.jpg
    1250 dirt blade 002.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 1250 dirt blade 003.jpg
    1250 dirt blade 003.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 307
   / best old Cub to look for #25  
I had no idea that the blade from an Original would fit that close on the wide frame series. Thanks.

/ best old Cub to look for #26  
Rocks the brackets that the blade mounts to on the Original jut out. Also I did have to bend out the two top attach points to fit the wide frame mule drive. I have to rework the 1200 carb and then I will move the blade to it. The hydro is too hard to manage with both controls on the same side.

/ best old Cub to look for
The only reason iam adding to this old post is because i stated it a few years back.
I google 1882 and it came up so i thought it would be ok to add on.
I still have the 3235, i sold the gt1554. but i have added a 782 and a 1872.Tomorrow iam going to maybe add a 1882 to the herd.