Best older farm dozer

/ Best older farm dozer #1  

mlcole

Tractor
John Deere 3032 , John Deere 300B, Case 485, Long 610, Stiener 420, 3 Gravelys, BCS 830, Yamaha Rhino 700, Duetz Allis Riding Mower
I’m looking for a older farm dozer , I understand that all older dozers are going to require some tlc. My land is a little hilly and I need something that can clean off old logging roads that were cut in 1980s. What brand is best , I have a budget around $10,000 price range. I found a nice international 500 dozer for $6000 but people said to stay away from internationals because of parts issues. I also hear John Deere 350 was better. What about case 310 models anyone ever used one. Which brand has best brakes. Thanks

/ Best older farm dozer #2  
JD or cat , case probable easier to get parts for , You can still gets parts for IH but might take more work to find them...

/ Best older farm dozer #3  
I’m looking for a older farm dozer , I understand that all older dozers are going to require some tlc. My land is a little hilly and I need something that can clean off old logging roads that were cut in 1980s. What brand is best , I have a budget around $10,000 price range. I found a nice international 500 dozer for $6000 but people said to stay away from internationals because of parts issues. I also hear John Deere 350 was better. What about case 310 models anyone ever used one. Which brand has best brakes. Thanks

Bigger might be better .......but not huge!

/ Best older farm dozer #4  
310 is on the small side, as for old dozers, I'm not fond of the 350 deere either. I chose the 450 Case, mostly because if it sits a while between uses, there's no clutches to get stuck and need replacement like the old deere models. BUT, when it comes to dozers, finding a deal, NEVER is!!

Spend some money and get one in good shape, or don't get one at all, including a Case 450!! Absolutely take someone with you to look at a dozer who KNOWS what they are looking at, and can run one!! AND that means, knows how to run it, not drive it around looking like they know how to run it!!

BTW, make sure NOT to buy any Case with the rod throwing 188 diesel, find a later one with the excellent 207 diesel!

SR

/ Best older farm dozer #5  
Don't be afraid of the Dressers. My father has a TD8 and we can get parts easily, in fact the local Cat dealer has the best pricing. I like the TD8 size. Like a low track D4. Never ran a JD or case dozer, but they seem plentiful.

SR brings up a great point. Bring a dozer expert and listen to what they say.

/ Best older farm dozer #6  
Over the years while growing up and later we had a couple of doziers and track loaders. We did a lot of work on our farm with these machines, but we also did a lot of work on the machines as well. I enjoyed running these machines. Working on them, not so much. If I were in the market for a dozier today, Cat would be my first choice, then probably John Deere. Unless you really like working on heavy equipment instead of using it, I would suggest at least doubling you budget to get yourself into a better machine. I would also suggest unless you have the experience to evaluate a machine, take someone with you that does (even if you have to pay them).

The other option is to rent a machine or just hire the work done. Just my :2cents:

/ Best older farm dozer #7  
What do you guys think about a 1947 International TD-9?

/ Best older farm dozer #9  
I'd hire out. You are looking at probably $75 to $100 per machine hour. An experienced operator can probably do anything you need done on your 14 acres and them some in less than a week.
You get the most bang for your buck by planning carefully. Lay out the whole project and have it down in your head and on paper clearly before you even get the first quote. If you think you need ditching, culverts, etc have that down before you start.
For your $10,000 machine budget I think you could easily hire out the work and cover cost for gravel, culverts, rip rap and all to get some nice roads laid out right the first time. A good operator on a good machine is worth every penny.

/ Best older farm dozer #10  
What do you guys think about a 1947 International TD-9?

That was the first dozier that I ever ran (about 42 years ago). Maybe not the exact same year but same model. Starts on gasoline, runs on diesel which meant twice the components to maintain. All manual everything.