Best older farm dozer

/ Best older farm dozer #11  
I am just getting mine running now.

Went through the carb yesterday, checked the distributor but didn't find any points there. So I need to find a book on the magneto. I think I can get a TD-9 book at JenSales but I don't know what will be in it.

It was running as of about 5 years ago. I have some dozer work so its time to freshen it up.

/ Best older farm dozer #12  
I知 looking for a older farm dozer , I understand that all older dozers are going to require some tlc. My land is a little hilly and I need something that can clean off old logging roads that were cut in 1980s. What brand is best , I have a budget around $10,000 price range. I found a nice international 500 dozer for $6000 but people said to stay away from internationals because of parts issues. I also hear John Deere 350 was better. What about case 310 models anyone ever used one. Which brand has best brakes. Thanks

It is my opinion that "the best older farm dozer" is the one that somebody else owns.

/ Best older farm dozer #13  
What do you guys think about a 1947 International TD-9?

That was the first dozier that I ever ran (about 42 years ago). Maybe not the exact same year but same model. Starts on gasoline, runs on diesel which meant twice the components to maintain. All manual everything.

My BIL bought that vintage TD-9,, to remove stumps from ~10 acres,, I ran it 90% of its use,,,

I broke 1ST gear so many times, I could replace the gear in under 3 hours, and that included going to get the gear,,
The gear cost $35,, that was about 1973,,,,

Oh, yea,, how the gear broke,,
when pushing a stump, sometimes I would build a ramp, so the machine was aimed down towards the stump,,
If you let the machine get any roll, then hit the stump,, the gear would break as the machine was sending the operator over the control levers!! :laughing:

:D

/ Best older farm dozer #15  
Brings back memories. When I was a kid we had an old JD 40 dozer. It was not very big but boy would that thing work!!! Way too old a machine but my point is even a small dozer can do an amazing amount of work.

We must have been lucky because I do not recall it needing much in repairs and we had it for 15 years.

Good advice about hiring the work done. We had 140+ acres so it saw a lot of use. I cannot envision enough work to justify owning a dozer if you already have a tractor. It takes time to get good with one. I was never able to match my dad's skill.

/ Best older farm dozer #16  
My dad bought a JD 40 when I was a kid, that's the dozer I learned on... Dad had to work on it a LOT, but I ran it a lot too.

SR

/ Best older farm dozer #17  
Micole you said your place is a little hilly, take that and an "old dozer" (worn under carriage) and you have a perfect recipe for throwing tracks. Not fun at all and it will happen when your machine is in the worst possible position and access to it. SR's advice on a spending more to get a good machine is good but I can also agree with hiring it out but I'd never want to get in the way of a guy getting a dozer to play on. Has the idea of renting a machine (only) crossed your mind? Kinda the best of both worlds, you get a modern machine and get to play without the ownership worries. :thumbsup:

/ Best older farm dozer #18  
Quote " Absolutely take someone with you to look at a dozer who KNOWS what they are looking at, and can run one!! AND that means, knows how to run it, not drive it around looking like they know how to run it!!

I did that!
(Back then) HD6 dozer was $4000. at a Cat dealer.
I went to the HD local dealer who charged me $40/hr to do an inspection.
He discovered a few 'snags' quoted about $ 1000. to repair.
So I said, I'll take it at your price providing U do repairs.
OK, yours said Cat dealer and OK said the HD dealer (Mussins).
Well it all worked out as one week later the dozer was delivered to my back door and all repaired.

I drove/operated that dozer for 3/4 years and did all that I wanted and then sold it off for the same $4000. that I paid for it. (LOL, after I earned more than 3-4X what I paid for it.)

I used to also urge aircraft buyers to hire a licensed mechanic B4 buying an airplane. (I'm/was an AME) so I simply practiced what I preached.
Paid off big time for me.

Moral of the story is; Don't be proud, pay a few $$'s and get an expert!
It might be the best $$'s you'll ever invest.

/ Best older farm dozer #19  
^^^^^^^^What he said !!!!

/ Best older farm dozer #20  
I know where a TW20G is sitting for $8K in northern MN. 13,000 hours. Pads are worn with about an 1" left (break out the 7018 rod), but the pins appear to be new.