Best older farm dozer

/ Best older farm dozer #31  
We had IHC TD14s (one with dozer blade, one without) growing up. I used the one without blade to farm 300 acres, I could pull disk/packer/drill/packer in one pass (8' wide). It still took a couple weeks to plant 300 acres (only ran during daylight). It was a 1942 model with something like 5000 hrs on it, engine was fresh, had to start with crank sometimes. I was just a kid that loved the open 4" stack and knew all the sounds including when one of the track rollers was low on oil.

/ Best older farm dozer #32  
If you have to own one, I recommend CAT equipment. I have purchased all the manuals and new parts I needed for fixing up my CAT 955L from ebay and amazon, at great prices. I only had to go to my local CAT dealer once for fluid when I changed the final drive. All the pedal bearings, shift linkage rod ends, and filters came from online, much cheaper than the dealer, and they came new in CAT packaging. I don't have experience with other brands, but I've been happy with my CAT experience.

I spent $8k on my 955L, and it got me a machine that needed some fixing up. If you can double your budget, it would get you a much better machine from what I see in my local market.

But overall, the best plan is renting if you can time your work with the weather and take the time off work to go after it and get it done. These machines are a gamble, and one major repair from being a huge loss to your wallet.

/ Best older farm dozer #33  
I have a dozer, but totally agree that in most instances, renting one might be a better choice. I have a family member that insists on buying one, but he’s not the type of person that likes to work on anything. His budget is under $10K.

/ Best older farm dozer #34  
I have a dozer, but totally agree that in most instances, renting one might be a better choice. I have a family member that insists on buying one, but he’s not the type of person that likes to work on anything. His budget is under $10K.

If your family member actually buys a dozer for "under $10K", he is one sadly misguided individual who is about to learn a hard economic lesson.

/ Best older farm dozer #35  
5 years ago paid 10k for JD350c and so far very pleased... it was originally a water district dozer bought by a water district employee who was downsizing when I bought it... maybe just lucky?

/ Best older farm dozer #36  
If your family member actually buys a dozer for "under $10K", he is one sadly misguided individual who is about to learn a hard economic lesson.

Exactly! That’s why I keep telling him to rent one. I hope he listens or yours truly will be the one working on it.

/ Best older farm dozer #37  
RECENTLY LOOKED AT A 1980'S JD450E THAT A FRIEND SAID WAS IN NICE SHAPE FOR 12K. I WAS A HEAVY EQUIP. MECHANIC AND OPERATOR FOR YEARS SO I KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR--ON OLDER EQUIP ANYWAY. I WAS NOT IMPRESSED. THE TRACK BUSHINGS WERE WORN DOWN ALMOST TO THE PINS AND THE SPROCKET WERE WORN PRETTY GOOD. I DIDN'T BOTHER TO LOOK ANY FARTHER. TO PUT NEW TRACKS, SPROCKET AND ROLLERS ON IT WOULD HAVE MADE THE VALUE MUCH LESS THAN WHAT I WOULD HAVE HAD INVESTED.

/ Best older farm dozer #38  
I have owned several IH TD-9's over the years and too small for what you want to do. --- I currently have and use an IH 250-c-series III crawler loader and it will do some serious destruction if you want to.
Too many cat and deere people pushing their brand!
My uncle had a 1950 Cat D-7-3t and I ran it for him. It was a good dozer too ---a bit on the small size but we did a lot of heavy work with it,---just took longer!
D-6 c will do a lot of work too.
on a final note----for $10,000 you wont come close to getting a dozer big enough or in decent enough shape to do what you want to do.

/ Best older farm dozer #39  
I have owned several IH TD-9's over the years and too small for what you want to do. --- I currently have and use an IH 250-c-series III crawler loader and it will do some serious destruction if you want to.
Too many cat and deere people pushing their brand!
My uncle had a 1950 Cat D-7-3t and I ran it for him. It was a good dozer too ---a bit on the small size but we did a lot of heavy work with it,---just took longer!
D-6 c will do a lot of work too.
on a final note----for $10,000 you wont come close to getting a dozer big enough or in decent enough shape to do what you want to do.

SO TRUE !!!!!