best operating RPM?

/ best operating RPM? #22  
FWIW,
I run my 1720 @ 2100-2200 RPM's with my 6' RFM. Seems to like that speed and the mower does a better job with those RPM's to get better dispersion of the grass clippings.

/ best operating RPM?
thanks for everyones "opinions", just wanted to see where everyone runs their machine. I agree with a "sweet spot" in any diesel. I drive a six wheel standard trany line truck for a our utility company, sweet spot about 2300, my F250 powerstroke, sweet spot 2100-2300, and my tractors' sweet spot is 2100. just my opinion and yes i am biased so don't try to change my opinion;)

/ best operating RPM? #24  
This isn't about autos and trucks, and tractors don't have automatic transmissions.
I don't come here to argue. You have read my thoughts.
Enjoy your tractor.

It is largely about diesel engines and some generalities apply.
SOME tractors have other than manual transmissions.
You DID come here to argue, you appear to have retreated,
fortunately with more than you brought.
You're welcome (-:

/ best operating RPM? #25  
I admit to having embarrassed a former DUMB boss in front of a LARGE group meeting when he came out with that stupid line about everyone having an opinion and the body part.

I replied that I didn't care to share his and I had NO interest in him EVER attempting to share mine.

/ best operating RPM? #26  
I replied that I didn't care to share his and I had NO interest in him EVER attempting to share mine.

That's a good one!

There may be pro's and con's to certain rpm levels but the only motivation for the auto industry to keeping rpms down is for emissions. Period.

Another major factor is a mechanically injected diesel. It will not have a very broad range of a "sweet spot" like a modern electronically controlled truck diesel.

/ best operating RPM? #27  
That's a good one!

There may be pro's and con's to certain rpm levels but the only motivation for the auto industry to keeping rpms down is for emissions. Period.

Another major factor is a mechanically injected diesel. It will not have a very broad range of a "sweet spot" like a modern electronically controlled truck diesel.

I wouldn't say the only reason to keep the revs down is ONLY for emissions. What about fuel consumption, noise, and wear and tear on the engine? The thermostat will keep the engine up to temp so I don't buy that for being a reason to run the engine any harder than need be to get the job done regaurdless if it's a tractor or truck.
JMHO

/ best operating RPM? #28  
Not to discount nature of gasoline and diesel that have a different combustion
characteristic and soot build up in case of diesel fuel, but I do tend to agree the engine temp stays almost constant due to action of t-stat. if I run my tractor anywhere from 1500 to 1900 rpm the temp needle stays right in the middle. When I run my engine between 2100-2400 and under much heavier load then the the needle creeps up a bit above the middle.

JC,

/ best operating RPM? #29  
you appear to have retreated,
fortunately with more than you brought.
You're welcome (-:

You give yourself far too much credit.
I have simply decided that your opinions and attitude are of no importance to me.
There is a wonderful tool here known as an ignore list. You have qualified for mine.

/ best operating RPM? #30  
Tractor motors, whether gas or diesel, are designed for their best fuel efficiency at 540 PTO rpm, which is what I think the OP was asking.

Many posts in the discussion seems to be centered around who peed on the corner of the barn last.