Best option for the 3rd function

/ Best option for the 3rd function #11  
Does anyone here use the spring protector kit they have? I would like the quick connects hard mounted to the loader arm, figure they could be tucked out of the way better and less likely to snag when using something besides the grapple.

I use the quick connect bracket with no problem. I would not want to be trying to pull quick connects off or putting them on with a mount the moves. I have a spring mount for hoses on the auger (see earlier pic). With the grapple the hoses hang behind the grapple - right where I want them. When I'm not using these connections the bracket is well out of harms way.

/ Best option for the 3rd function #12  
Does anyone here use the spring protector kit they have? I would like the quick connects hard mounted to the loader arm, figure they could be tucked out of the way better and less likely to snag when using something besides the grapple.

Are you referring to this? Tractor hose reroute kit

If so I have one on my hay grapple and it is great. Keeps the needed slack out of harms way when operating my hay grapple.

Attachments

• 0705151334.jpg
    0705151334.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 221
   / Best option for the 3rd function
I use the quick connect bracket with no problem. I would not want to be trying to pull quick connects off or putting them on with a mount the moves. I have a spring mount for hoses on the auger (see earlier pic). With the grapple the hoses hang behind the grapple - right where I want them. When I'm not using these connections the bracket is well out of harms way.

Thats why I was asking about the spring kit, all the pics I saw of the kit the lines at the end were just lose. I was hoping the kit had a bracket the quick connects mounted in that bolted to the loader itself.

Are you referring to this? Tractor hose reroute kit

If so I have one on my hay grapple and it is great. Keeps the needed slack out of harms way when operating my hay grapple.

Thats the kit I was asking about, in case there was nothing to hold the hose ends still when I was using the bucket. I hadnt thought of using one on the attachment itself, may get one for my grapple just in case.

Well its been a week of research on what 3rd function to get. Still leaning to the wr long setup so i guess tomorrow Ill see if they can swing one over this way. Something I havent read about......and glad I havent, are any problems with the kit. Must be a very reliable unit, I hope so.

/ Best option for the 3rd function #14  
Thats why I was asking about the spring kit, all the pics I saw of the kit the lines at the end were just lose. I was hoping the kit had a bracket the quick connects mounted in that bolted to the loader itself.

Thats the kit I was asking about, in case there was nothing to hold the hose ends still when I was using the bucket. I hadnt thought of using one on the attachment itself, may get one for my grapple just in case.

Well its been a week of research on what 3rd function to get. Still leaning to the wr long setup so i guess tomorrow Ill see if they can swing one over this way. Something I havent read about......and glad I havent, are any problems with the kit. Must be a very reliable unit, I hope so.

Look into getting the mounting bracket that attaches to the loader arm. If you go with a spring mount on the grapple just keep in mind that with the grapple you're likely to have stuff over the top from time to time. Best to keep the lines behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 134
   / Best option for the 3rd function #15  

This is a pic of the bracket from the WRLong web site.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 254
   / Best option for the 3rd function #16  
I chose a diverter over a third function but my advise will be the same.

Buy the valve and method of actuation of your choice (button, lever, etc).

Get it mounted. Then measure and order hoses appropriately.

Universal kits are made to work on many things. By virtue of being universal, the kit isn't specifically Taylor's to tour machine. You will be limited on where you can mount the valve, might have hoses that are longer than needed and have to tie up, might get extra un needed fittings, etc.

Mount the valve where you want, get only the fittings you need, and measure for hoses to be the exact length you need :2cents:

/ Best option for the 3rd function
I chose a diverter over a third function but my advise will be the same.

Buy the valve and method of actuation of your choice (button, lever, etc).

Get it mounted. Then measure and order hoses appropriately.

Universal kits are made to work on many things. By virtue of being universal, the kit isn't specifically Taylor's to tour machine. You will be limited on where you can mount the valve, might have hoses that are longer than needed and have to tie up, might get extra un needed fittings, etc.

Mount the valve where you want, get only the fittings you need, and measure for hoses to be the exact length you need :2cents:
That actually sounds simple enough. Couple questions though. What valve should I get? And why go with a diverter? I have seen a few others go with them, just curious what the advantage is.

/ Best option for the 3rd function #18  
Diverter gives the ability to feather the opening and closing of the grapple. The same way you can feather raising/lowering and dump/curl of the bucket. Because you are using the same valve/joystick. But instead of operating the loader.....with a push off a button you are diverting the fluid to the grapple.

Where as a electric over hydraulic third function it's all or nothing. Some say they can get good flicking the switch on and off to simulate feathering.

Downside to the diverter.... whatever function you tie into (diverter from) you can use that function at the same time you are opening and closing the lid. So 2 function at a time max.

/ Best option for the 3rd function #19  
That actually sounds simple enough. Couple questions though. What valve should I get? And why go with a diverter? I have seen a few others go with them, just curious what the advantage is.

Unless your tractor just won't support it (e.g. Power Beyond) you are going to be happier with true 3rd function to allow for simultaneous operation of the controls.

/ Best option for the 3rd function #20  

First off - I'm not trying to toot my own horn or come off as an expert because I'm not. A lot of these guys have forgotten more about hydraulics than I'll ever learn, BUT ... please go back to my earlier response in this thread and go read the write-up I put together on my 3rd function.

I did exactly what LD1 is suggesting (and I don't regret it) but it does come with some minor pitfalls you need to be aware of up front & avoid (learn from my mistakes & ignorance instead of your own ;) )

Rather than try to reinvent the wheel on Diverter vs 3rd function, I found an older thread discussing the two that I think you will also find helpful.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/375923-third-function-dirverter-valve-vers.html

Best of luck with whatever you choose.