Best portable sodering iron / pencil

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Greetings everyone.

Went to do a bit of soldering and found out my old Weller pencil had bit the dust. Cracked power cord etc. It was only a bit over 50 years old. Can anyone recommend another good one for the occasional odd jobs. I would like it to be portable for use outside like fixing trailer wiring or use to do outside wiring like I will need for my third function install. I usually use the uncovered crimp clamps, solder, then cover with heat shrink tubing. Had too many crimp connections go bad without soldering.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks - Keith

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #2  
Greetings everyone.

Went to do a bit of soldering and found out my old Weller pencil had bit the dust. Cracked power cord etc. It was only a bit over 50 years old. Can anyone recommend another good one for the occasional odd jobs. I would like it to be portable for use outside like fixing trailer wiring or use to do outside wiring like I will need for my third function install. I usually use the uncovered crimp clamps, solder, then cover with heat shrink tubing. Had too many crimp connections go bad without soldering.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks - Keith
I recently replaced the one I'd used for decades with a new Weller that was on the shelf at the local hardware...was reasonably priced and like a lot of newer tools it has built in LED subject lights...helps to see...

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #3  
I've used a butane soldering iron for the past 10+ years. Got it from Radio Shack. It works very well. I don't often solder on trailers or cars unless it's a circuit board or broken solder joint.

I buy heat shrink filled crimp connectors from Parts Express. Been using them for probably 6-7 years and haven't had a single failure. (Make sure you use a ratcheting crimper meant for insulated terminals).

Use them on boat trailers, car trailers, auxiliary truck lighting, etc. I love them. Especially since I'm the guy who puts a nice crimp on something to reconnect a broken factory joint, but almost always forget the shrink tubing! Having it integrated to the crimp connection is perfect.

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil
   / Best portable sodering iron / pencil #5  
Weller WES51. Excellent tool

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #6  
I find very little that can't be soldered with the trusty old dual heat Weller gun. I actually have two.

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #7  
I've used a butane soldering iron for the past 10+ years. Got it from Radio Shack. It works very well. I don't often solder on trailers or cars unless it's a circuit board or broken solder joint.

I buy heat shrink filled crimp connectors from Parts Express. Been using them for probably 6-7 years and haven't had a single failure. (Make sure you use a ratcheting crimper meant for insulated terminals).

Use them on boat trailers, car trailers, auxiliary truck lighting, etc. I love them. Especially since I'm the guy who puts a nice crimp on something to reconnect a broken factory joint, but almost always forget the shrink tubing! Having it integrated to the crimp connection is perfect.
Butane all the way for me. I can take it anywhere. I may have the same one. Got mine at radio shack 10 yeasts ago as well.

/ Best portable sodering iron / pencil #9  
I also have used a dual wattage Weller iron for years... My "go to" wiring tool.