Posthole Digger Best PTO Post Hole Digger?

/ Best PTO Post Hole Digger? #21  
No push-back from me on the above-mentioned brands, but take a good look at what you are using it for. I got a used TSC (speeco) unit with a 12" auger for $200. I have had no issues other than shearing some bolts (my issue, not the PHD).

Some will say you will have headaches if you don't buy top of the line. I say you can buy a lot of ibuprohen (or attachments) with the $1000 you will save.

I think a big part of what you purchase depends on your location, the availability of said implement in your area, how often said implement may get used, Your time restraints, other conditions. Lots of different things to consider before plunking down that hard earned cash.

/ Best PTO Post Hole Digger? #22  
The OP mentioned 3 different people/tractors using it and I am sure over time tractor trading will come up. I would go with the heaviest unit I could find. This way you only go through this one time. Ken Sweet

/ Best PTO Post Hole Digger? #23  
The gerabox is 3 times as big on these older models plus, the shear weight of the HD construction helps in digging the hole. I saw a 12 incher dig through a 3-5 inch aspault highway. No problem! The also hold their value batter than any digger. We have a used one now for $895. Probably more than it sold for new. I have seen the older units bring $1200 at auction. Ken Sweet
I got 950 at a poorly attended auction today for a twelve year old Danuser G20/40 with a nine and a twelve inch auger. The unit had the usual paint chips but still had the shaft guard.

I had paid 895 for the digger with the nine inch auger when I bought it. Added a seven inch extention to get a four foot hole for another fifty bucks. The twelve inch auger cost me about 250. Boiled down to 250 bucks for twelve years of use. Not bad.

/ Best PTO Post Hole Digger? #24  
I got 950 at a poorly attended auction today for a twelve year old Danuser G20/40 with a nine and a twelve inch auger. The unit had the usual paint chips but still had the shaft guard.

I had paid 895 for the digger with the nine inch auger when I bought it. Added a seven inch extention to get a four foot hole for another fifty bucks. The twelve inch auger cost me about 250. Boiled down to 250 bucks for twelve years of use. Not bad.

You did alright. What auction did you run it through? Ken Sweet

/ Best PTO Post Hole Digger? #25  
ive got an old wore out danuser PH digger that weve had for 50yrs or more.here last year we bought a BH PHD.an it has the bear claw it,an it diggs a hole fast.i also priced the belltec hydro digger at $4600 3yrs ago.when we bought the BH PHD new it cost i think $900 for the digger an 9in auger along with a 12in auger.since it had been on the lot for a good while we saved $900.

/ Best PTO Post Hole Digger? #26  
I've got an older Kubota-branded PHD that I picked up used last year. Made in the US by somebody, I forget who it was exactly.

A little paint and some new bearings and it was good to go. I'll say this, my L3400 WILL NOT bend the boom on this one. I've had it quite solidly anchored under a tree root, and it laughed at the tractor trying to pull it out of the hole.

Sean

Attachments

• DSC00275.jpg
    DSC00275.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 510
  • DSC00274.jpg
    DSC00274.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 501
   / Best PTO Post Hole Digger? #28  
No push-back from me on the above-mentioned brands, but take a good look at what you are using it for. I got a used TSC (speeco) unit with a 12" auger for $200. I have had no issues other than shearing some bolts (my issue, not the PHD).

Some will say you will have headaches if you don't buy top of the line. I say you can buy a lot of ibuprohen (or attachments) with the $1000 you will save.

I've got a chance to buy a used speeco for 250. it is laying in pieces on a barn floor so not sure if that is a good deal. owner says it was rarely used, the 12" auger looks like it very little wear.

How much are these new? the only numbers on it are PD24-07-41 and 280P anyone know if these numbers mean anything?

JB.

/ Best PTO Post Hole Digger? #29  
I have a Speedco that's 8 or 9 years old and I'm thinking it was between $400 and $500 new. We've done hundreds of holes setting fence posts with it, but it really gets only occasional use. We have clay soil with few rocks, and for that kind of use, it's been OK. If we had tougher conditions or needed to use it more often, it would make sense to go with one of the better quality ones that have been mentioned.

/ Best PTO Post Hole Digger? #30  
new speecos run 400-650 plus auger costs. They assemble real easily. go to their site and view manuals. Change the oil and you'll be ready to go. mine is probably 8 years old and used alot. i finally had to break down and replace the 8" auger.