Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #1  

xsf18cdf

Tractor
JD1025, Kubota L6060HSTC
Looking for ideas ref type of seeder, not about type of grass- already have type going to use. Bermuda is so fine and dust-like it seems the broadcast would not be as effective even mixing with sand or corn meal.

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #2  
For this type seed, I use a drop spreader and mix the seed with dry lime, pelleted lime or fertilizer. Ken Sweet

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #3  
Another cheap option that seed companies sell for spreading fine seed is rice hulls. Mix the seed with the rice hulls and it allows fine seed to spread with either seeder type. Most of the large grass seed distributors sell the rice hulls online for very cheap.

Last edited:
   / Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc
Aaah ok...just mix it in a fresh cement mixer? - I have one that I've used in the past for mixing other amendments and that's all its for.

That's for both of you....haha

For this type seed, I use a drop spreader and mix the seed with dry lime, pelleted lime or fertilizer. Ken Sweet
The one on your site looks perfect. I'll check back in when I get back from this contract- I'm in Iraq right now.

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #6  
The one on your site looks perfect. I'll check back in when I get back from this contract- I'm in Iraq right now.
Does no one in your area sprig grass ? Down here Coastal Bermuda is almost 100% sprigged.

Does no one in your area sprig grass ? Down here Coastal Bermuda is almost 100% sprigged.
Its not coastal Bermuda (Texas Tough+ Blend) and I'm trying to not pay anyone to do this because that puts me at the mercy of their schedule and usually the bigger jobs win out. This will be the second time its been seeded- the first time was beautiful but I was away on contract and my wife (city girl) left the critters to eat on the pasture all winter and destroyed it. I've got a pretty good system as far as timing goes. Its me doing it solo now though. The only question is will I be doing it with the Kubota or will I have the LS by then.

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #8  
Its not coastal Bermuda (Texas Tough+ Blend) and I'm trying to not pay anyone to do this because that puts me at the mercy of their schedule and usually the bigger jobs win out. This will be the second time its been seeded- the first time was beautiful but I was away on contract and my wife (city girl) left the critters to eat on the pasture all winter and destroyed it. I've got a pretty good system as far as timing goes. Its me doing it solo now though. The only question is will I be doing it with the Kubota or will I have the LS by then.
Can you share your system for overseeding an existing pasture? My 6 acres of horse pasture got overgrazed real bad last year and this year the drought has been awful. Right now, I have Beef Builder annual rye out, to help hold it all through the winter and give me something to disk in. Another rain and it should start popping.

In the spring, I'm planning to overseed with Buckaroo Blend Bermuda Grass. Currently, looking at tilling/seeding options and considering my strategy. I have a disk harrow, chain harrow and broadcast spreader and hoping to make do with that. But I'd rent an overseeder (If I can find one to rent) if that's going to give better results.

I am going to light/shallow disc (my pasture is straight sugar sand over 12ft deep) add some lime and nitrogen, seed, cultipack and then put a light straw mulch. Last time I has beautiful wispy grass that was nearly 3ft tall before I could get it cut. I contract overseas and am away often but I am retiring so I will be able to take care of it more appropriately.

Oh forgot...I use Texas Tough + which is a blend of cool and warm, drought resistance types of bermuda and could not be more pleased with it. I do apply it a lot heavier than the instructions say, but my soil is not the best.

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #10  
How many acres are you doing and how are you putting out the straw mulch? Sounds like you have ideal soil for Bermuda with that deep sand. I'm on black clay which has its challenges for growing just about anything.