Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc
5.5ac and was going to try a manure spreader. I'm south of you in Weatherford.

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #12  
I'm hoping to time it that I disk in the bermuda seed right as the rye starts to die back. Hopefully acts as a mulch of sort. I'll send out some soil samples later this winter and work on adding whatever amendments before planting time.

Good luck with your efforts. We'll have to share our results and see if we have anything we can add to the tribal knowledge for future efforts.

Yes, of course. Take care.

GH

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #14  
Its not coastal Bermuda (Texas Tough+ Blend) and I'm trying to not pay anyone to do this because that puts me at the mercy of their schedule and usually the bigger jobs win out. This will be the second time its been seeded- the first time was beautiful but I was away on contract and my wife (city girl) left the critters to eat on the pasture all winter and destroyed it. I've got a pretty good system as far as timing goes. Its me doing it solo now though. The only question is will I be doing it with the Kubota or will I have the LS by then.
I understand not wanting to be at other peoples mercy, I have never heard of this Texas Tough + Blend. Are you going to cut this for hay? Or just let animals graze it?

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #16  
I'm not familiar with how fine Bermuda seed is but I use 2 different methods for sowing clover and alfalfa, and timothy seed. For the clover and alfalfa I use the Seed~Easy spreader to spread the seed, it just can't be too windy. For timothy seed I use the Toro 93 slit seeder for ground contact because it's usually sown in mid-Sept. It's only 4' wide, but instructions say it can be used up to 7 mph so you can scoot right along. It takes about 2-1/2 hrs. to do my 4 acre hayfield.

I gave $100 for the slit seeder at a school surplus auction. The had no use for it after installing astro-turf. Around here certain equipment dealers rent them for around $200 a day. Beats putting $6-7K in an implement you only use at more once a year. Both do a great job in their own right. Just some food for thought.

Attachments

• DSC00368.JPG
    DSC00368.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC00638.JPG
    DSC00638.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 39
I'm not familiar with how fine Bermuda seed is but I use 2 different methods for sowing clover and alfalfa, and timothy seed. For the clover and alfalfa I use the Seed~Easy spreader to spread the seed, it just can't be too windy. For timothy seed I use the Toro 93 slit seeder for ground contact because it's usually sown in mid-Sept. It's only 4' wide, but instructions say it can be used up to 7 mph so you can scoot right along. It takes about 2-1/2 hrs. to do my 4 acre hayfield.

I gave $100 for the slit seeder at a school surplus auction. The had no use for it after installing astro-turf. Around here certain equipment dealers rent them for around $200 a day. Beats putting $6-7K in an implement you only use at more once a year. Both do a great job in their own right. Just some food for thought.
Thanks! This seed type is fine- not quite talcum but almost a powder.

Thanks for responding. I am going to see if I can find a used seeder in good working order when I get back in town.

G

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #18  
You can probably also check places that rent equipment I'd rather spend a couple hundred dollars to see if it will even work than tie a good bit more up in a piece of equipment and not work as planned.

You might even try contacting your local Extension Office. Here they have a no till drill you can rent for like $15 an acre and they deliver to your door. Part of the taxes you pay are providing for that service whether you use it or not.

/ Best seeder for bermuda grass- drop v broadcast, etc #19  
I'm going to look around and see if I can find a rental. I have a pretty good "in" with the local Kubota dealer. He might even know a customer that has one I can rent.

You can probably also check places that rent equipment I'd rather spend a couple hundred dollars to see if it will even work than tie a good bit more up in a piece of equipment and not work as planned.

You might even try contacting your local Extension Office. Here they have a no till drill you can rent for like $15 an acre and they deliver to your door. Part of the taxes you pay are providing for that service whether you use it or not.
Great idea...hadn't even thought about that.
Thanks!

G