Best set-up?

/ Best set-up? #1  

Song Dogger

Tractor
Bobcat ToolCat 5610G (2019)
Newbie here, looking for the best fit for my situation.

I currently use a John Deere 3046r (46 HP) utility tractor with a 7 rear blade to plow snow on a 1-mile well-crowned gravel road with huge borrow ditches. The rear blade doesn't have the height or the reach, so I'm forced to ride the ditch edge to try to get the windrows into the ditches. Still, over time, the windrows narrow the road and I'm forced to push them into the ditch with my loader bucket - position at an angle, push to the ditch, back up, repeat over and over. Steering is part of the problem. The back tires have LaClede V-bar tire chains, but chains on the front could tear up hydraulic hoses on sharp turns. I've tried filling my bucket with rock for added steering traction, but it's not much help. Bottom line, I've slid into and got stuck in those ditches more than I care to admit. I've not tipped yet, but man, it's been close.

Other things I do with the tractor - hauling/spreading piled materials, grapple hooking downed trees, rotary mowing, towing, rear blading, and landscaping. I'll use my rear mounted Lorenz snow blower only when necessary, because slowly driving backwards for hours and replacing shear pins is time consuming. So, other than the snow plowing/blowing issues, this tractor handles my tasks pretty nicely.

Here's what I'm debating for the optimum set-up. I won't say money is no object, but if there's real and significant improvement on snow removal, maybe I can rationalize the expense.

Option 1) Skid steer - I consider this overkill, and I'm not fond of how they tear up the ground. I do little digging, dozing, or loading trucks. My lighter duty tasks doesn't seem to warrant one, plus I'd have to replace my adequate PTO implements with more expensive, heavier duty ones.

Option 2) Current tractor - add a Boss HTX V-Plow attached to the frame (see attached photo). It's 7-1/2 feet wide and lighter weight, under 500 lbs (made for 1/2 ton pickups). Boss's undercarriage for this tractor has to be removed (11 bolts) to mount the front-end loader, which I need every 2-3 weeks for horse manure and/or snow. Not convenient, but the plow does add some reach, it clears my tire path (as opposed to a rear blade), and the added front weight might improve steering. But, if I still go into the ditch, it could damage the lightweight plow and I wouldn't have my loader to inch my way out. The ability to chain front tires would be nice, but not sure how much it'd help those small tires.

Options 3) Upgrade tractor - trade for a 4 or 5 series tractor. Problem is, even my John Deere rep says the snow plowing improvement would be minimal. He say there's more weight but bigger tires, so minimal improvement in tractive effort. And, he says the blade could be wider but so is the tractor, resulting in little gain in reach. Maybe he's trying to sell me a skid steer.

Option 4) Bobcat ToolCat 5610 - never saw one, and can only judge by what I've read and watched on the web. It seems like a good fit between a compact tractor and a skid steer. I can keep my PTO implements, add a V-plow with more reach outside the wheel width, add a front-mounted snowblower if necessary, and rent hydraulic attachments for odd jobs. The extra weight (twice my tractor and more than my pickup) and chains all around should help traction and steering, maybe keep me out of the ditch more, or more able to crawl out if I get in. With more control, maybe I can plow faster and move snow further. The lower center of gravity means less ground clearance, but should also reduce the "pucker factor" of tipping.

Is the choice obvious, or is my zeal for gadgetry and ignorance of the ToolCat clouding my logic??

Boss on 3046r.jpg

/ Best set-up? #2  
A lot of use have gone to FEL mounted(ex-pickup) used snow plows;I found six last week at one place.Don't need the lift cylinder or lights
just the angle cylinders.Going this route you can convert a used plow to the JD quick disconnect and switch easily between implements.
I have less than $300 in mine.It extends out far enough to do what you are trying to do.

Attachments

• 100_0818.jpg
    100_0818.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 353
   / Best set-up?
A lot of use have gone to FEL mounted(ex-pickup) used snow plows;I found six last week at one place.Don't need the lift cylinder or lights
just the angle cylinders.Going this route you can convert a used plow to the JD quick disconnect and switch easily between implements.
I have less than $300 in mine.It extends out far enough to do what you are trying to do.

Considered it, not out of the question for a trial considering the low cost. Your loader is a tad bigger than my H165. I have read a lot of battles about whether it overstresses the loader arms, especially edge loads with the blade so far out front with even more torque the further it sticks out to the side. JD wouldn't even recommend Frontier's loader-attached-blade, let alone a large truck plow. Still, a lot of folks do it...

/ Best set-up? #4  
Considered it, not out of the question for a trial considering the low cost. Your loader is a tad bigger than my H165. I have read a lot of battles about whether it overstresses the loader arms, especially edge loads with the blade so far out front with even more torque the further it sticks out to the side. JD wouldn't even recommend Frontier's loader-attached-blade, let alone a large truck plow. Still, a lot of folks do it...
As long as the trip springs are working you should be o.k.;I also added a cross over relief valve;been using mine for ten years with no problems.

/ Best set-up? #5  
A lot depends on how much snow you get. I have a long road like that and we get about 100" of snow where I am. I plow as wide as I can to start the season and only have a constraining ditch on one side. I need to be able to throw the snow back and up over the banks as they gain height. The only way I can do that is with the speed of a truck mounted plow. If your ditches are deep enough so that your snow banks won't get to high and then start closing in when you can't throw the snow over them then a slower speed truck plow on a tractor can work great. Like a HLA plow or build one with the blade in close to the SSQA plate. If you have been managing with a rear blade on a mile long road I am guessing but not sure, not knowing your tractor or snow conditions, that you would be fine with a front mounted tractor plow. My tractor plow can actually push harder on the banks to move them back than my chained up and balasted one ton truck but I can't go fast enough to really throw the snow back. The tracor is a 56 hp M5640 and weighs over 7000 lbs. Chained on all 4 teres with a 7 1/2 foot plow.

P1190179.JPG

This was an end of the season 18" storm with heavy wet snow. Pic and short video clip my wife took.

P1190361.JPG

SSQA Setback Snow Plow - YouTube

gg

Last edited:
   / Best set-up? #6  
Blowers are great for deep snow, or cleaning up high berms. They do not excel on gravel, but with oversized skid shoes it's certainly workable.
For my infrequent blizzard events I run an HLA plow up front with a blower on the rear.

/ Best set-up?
I'm liking the loader mounted blade more and more, especially if I upgrade my tractor/loader. My cabless 3046r weighs less than 3000 lbs (w/o attachments), so deeper snows push me around as much as I push them, especially when I leave a skiff of snow to keep the gravel on the road. I'm ready to upgrade anyway for a cab, might as well get more tractor. As for blowers, maybe an inverted is the way to go with a heavier tractor chained all around.

/ Best set-up? #10  
Song Dogger keep in mind when or if buying a new tractor that weight is your friend. But it comes from more than just the tractor. My 7000 lbs is not all bare bones tractor. It breaks down like this: tractor 3860 lb, loader 1235 lb, loaded 16.9 X 28 rear tires 1500 lb, plow and SSQA frame 400 lb, winch on 3ph 500 lb, and tire chains a couple hundred or so more.

gg