Best subcompact for the money

/ Best subcompact for the money #71  
I'm tired of buying riding lawn mowers that don't last because they are built cheap and still cost an arm and a leg. I'm thinking of buying a subcompact tractor to mow the property and use it for light tractor work.

What are the best ones for this purpose and for the best bang for the buck?
I have a 2007 Kioti and it still works perfect. Now I don't know about these new ones with all the electronic B.S. that no one needs these days.

/ Best subcompact for the money
I have a 2007 Kioti and it still works perfect. Now I don't know about these new ones with all the electronic B.S. that no one needs these days.
That's one of the reasons the TYM engine looks so good, they don't use a ECM.

/ Best subcompact for the money #73  
And you think a SCUT will be better? I doubt it. Check these out. TSM Class
No intent here to start a orange vs blue vs green. But I was faced with this same problem 15 years ago when we purchased a small farm in TN. I needed to be able to mow the lawn and clear brush etc. so I oped for a small BX series Kubota. I like the small tractor for it virsatility. I can mow, bush hog, rock rake, plow, scrape the drive all with one machine. I used the $5k cost of a zero turn towards a small tractor to get for me was the best bang for the buck. I have been very pleased with my choice of Kubota. The 5 foot mowing deck is still on its first serpentine belt now 10 years old!!

I think it really boils down to jobs to be done VS money to do it. Personally when I win the lottery I'm going with a back hoe , 2 tractors one big one small, AND a zero turn. :). Oh yes a new barn. Wouldn't want all that stuff to sit outside.

/ Best subcompact for the money #75  
I mow very steep slopes with a zero turn mower. If you are confident and smart about it, you can do just as much as the Cub Cadet steering zero turn or a 4WD Scut, and be faster. You just need to understand a couple of key points - the zero turn will go uphill very well, but has poor control coming down, and has a limit to sidehilling because of course the casters can't be held straight ahead. I'm no fan of Cub Cadet because although some of what they have built is quality, a lot is poor quality. Cub Cadet has poor resale because of this, and their primary reputation is for making cheap riding lawn mowers sold at the bog box stores. That said, the steering Cub looks to be good quality although it is still not quite as fast as a traditional zero turn because you can't turn the wheel as fast as you can operate lap bars.

With a zero turn, mow on diagonals. Mow up, and back down. Or, turn around and go down at a diagonal. The mower won't hold as well on the way down, but it might be adequate. Mow a chevron pattern in other words. It is possible for the front end of a zero turn to pop up while heading steeply uphill. Be prepared to immediately yank the bars back towards you. If a side rollover is imminent, turn immediately downhill. Never mow with a zero turn above anything with a dropoff at the bottom or water. It isn't worth the risk.

I ran a Simplicity Legacy "yard tractor" for a few years. Great machine, way better than most riding mowers. It had big tires, rear diff lock, 25HP Kohler Command, 5 gallon fuel tank, 60" belly mower with hydraulic deck lift and electric cut height adjust, power steering, etc. These Legacy mowers could actually be had with a Cat 0/1 3-point hitch and a small loader, and we also offered with a small diesel. They stopped making them just a few years ago. Otherwise, I think the JD X700 series is probably the best machine in that class, as they can be had in 4x4, 4-wheel steering, various engine choices, etc.

If I was buying a SCUT for lawn mowing, hands down the Kubota BX series tractors. These are high quality machines with great engines and some nice features. These are the best-selling SCUT on the market, and resale value is high. If you want to compare Kioti (the Korean clone of a Kubota), they are nice enough but I always make the comparison of Toyota vs Hyundai.

/ Best subcompact for the money #76  
I'm tired of buying riding lawn mowers that don't last because they are built cheap and still cost an arm and a leg. I'm thinking of buying a subcompact tractor to mow the property and use it for light tractor work.

What are the best ones for this purpose and for the best bang for the buck?
What has convinced you that that sub-compact tractors are built better and last longer?

In my experience (Kubota) The dealers are fewer and further between and their labor and parts charges are "Outta State!"

BTW, I have a Scotts here and a Craftsman at the other property - still going after home DIY maintenance.

The tires are my biggest repairs expense so far, but I've reset the points , change out the batteries, kept them inside when not in use and disconnected the batteries when in storage.

I had to rebuild the left side of the Scotts Deck (added a reinforcing ring and a bit of brazing rod) along with replacing the spindle thing and the belt.

But, considering I bought them both second hand and my total investment over five or six years use is likely under a grand for the pair and the last time I had the Kubota in for a fuel pump R&R, I got a bill for seven hundred dollars and paid near a hundred for the Kubota Hydraulic Fluid alone . . . well, you see.

/ Best subcompact for the money #77  
OP, I had the exact same motivation as you: disgusted with the 4th "garden tractor" (lawnmower) that lasted only 3-4 years for $2-3k!!!. Bah.
After much shopping and asking around, I chose a BX2660 with the 60" deck, plus some other implements that I needed. Under $13k (2009). nearly $3000 under list, and they delivered to Alabama with almost two hours of instructions/teaching, from KY at no extra charge. They also included some other (cheap) refinements for free. Barlow Tractor was my vendor and I was extremely happy with it. It's now 16 years old with no major problems -- but then it has less than 150 hours on it. :) I've mowed 5 foot tall grass with it and it only bogged down once. Two minor annoyances since I've had it: 1) those <censored> "safety switches," and it just refuses to wash itself. AND it was ZERO interest from Kubota!!!!
Of course, expendables like oil and fluid changes, tires, and etc but that's on all of them. (I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance.)
It's time to change the fuel filters but I don't move so well anymore. I **will** get 'round-toit.'
Be sure to check your homeowners insurance, too, btw. I wasn't even supposed to mow the church! Don't tell, but I did it anyway...
And for some reason, I'm convinced I need a backhoe now. I've only needed one twice in 30 years but hey, I still want one of my own. <sigh>

/ Best subcompact for the money
What has convinced you that that sub-compact tractors are built better and last longer?

In my experience (Kubota) The dealers are fewer and further between and their labor and parts charges are "Outta State!"

BTW, I have a Scotts here and a Craftsman at the other property - still going after home DIY maintenance.

The tires are my biggest repairs expense so far, but I've reset the points , change out the batteries, kept them inside when not in use and disconnected the batteries when in storage.

I had to rebuild the left side of the Scotts Deck (added a reinforcing ring and a bit of brazing rod) along with replacing the spindle thing and the belt.

But, considering I bought them both second hand and my total investment over five or six years use is likely under a grand for the pair and the last time I had the Kubota in for a fuel pump R&R, I got a bill for seven hundred dollars and paid near a hundred for the Kubota Hydraulic Fluid alone . . . well, you see.
I repair and maintain my own equipment and own both a riding lawnmower and a tractor. What convinced me was that experience and understanding of how each is made and prone to damage and wear & tear.

/ Best subcompact for the money #79  
Have you seen the Yanmar new line of tractors??
10 year drive train warranty and I believe its a 3 year
bumper to bumper and with some nice discounts
Your best bet is to try the different tractors to see what
suits you or is the most easy for you tp operate

willy

/ Best subcompact for the money #80  
I vote for a used high quality commercial zero turn with bar tires for the hills and a local dealer. Save some money and get the job finished quicker.