Best Tool for the Job??

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #1  

Snapper Head

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L3940 HST-3
Hello All,

New member here, very soon to be new tractor owner.

I should start by clarifying - I am not looking for brand advice or to start a war:D

I do need some help in selecting the best type of tool, not the brand. I have operated tractors before, so am not a total newbie, BUT, I have not owned one before, so I am all ears.

The deal:

Just signed a purchase contract for Snapperhead Farms. The best part of this is that now I HAVE TO :D:thumbsup: buy a tractor.

About 12 usable acres. 5 already in pasture with new fence. Will crossfence this piece. Row planted pine tree grove on another 3 acre section, with trees being about 10 years old. Plan to take most of these out, pature and fence. Thick hardwood stands across back of property with steep drop down to small creek. Will clear some of this area, but not put in pasture. Plan to purchase another 8 acre adjoing piece of uncleared land as well. Will keep 6 - 8 head of prize Arabian horses. Will be handling large round bales of hay.

So, I'm thinking 30-ish HP, 4WD Diesel, Hydrostatic Trans, power steering; front loader; 3 point; box blade; broadcast spreader; disc; bush hog (have a new lawn tractor for grass work near the house and barn); industrial tires.

Go ahead and blast away - I learn best while being beaten up:D:D

Big Al

Last edited:
   / Best Tool for the Job?? #2  
Doesn't sound like you are too far of except for the round bales, we used a much larger tractor to handle ours. Just spend some time checking spec sheets to narrow it down and then spend some time looking at them on the lot. Also check with your neighbors to see what they are using.

You are wise not to tie yourself to one brand as there are many very good machines of all makes. Wish I could be of more help.

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #3  
if you look at prices on the larger hp ag tractors like 5000 jd and kabota m you save money over 3000-4000 jd or b-l kabota

this is msrp per net hp for comparison and the larger tractors will handle the large bales
better

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #4  
Yep, Al, I agree with TripleR. Personally, I think you ought to be looking at 50 hp tractors instead of 30 hp.

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #5  
40 HP minimum. You will need the weight for handling those bales safely in all conditions. The larger Loader capacity will always be an asset. There are times you will miss the smaller size though. Ever since I got my B7800, the
larger L gets more rest!

/ Best Tool for the Job??
Thanks for the feedback folks.

TripleR - there are no neighbors:thumbsup::thumbsup::D I will have to pipe in daylight and oxygen.:D

I was unsure about how big to go for handling the round bales, so what I am hearing is that 30 something is not going to be enough grunt to handle them safely. A bigger tractor?? **** the bad luck!!:D:D

What sort of attachment is best for handling the round bales? I was planning on having my brother fab up a pole rack that would slip over the bucket.

Big Al

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #7  
Thanks for the feedback folks.

TripleR - there are no neighbors:thumbsup::thumbsup::D I will have to pipe in daylight and oxygen.:D

I was unsure about how big to go for handling the round bales, so what I am hearing is that 30 something is not going to be enough grunt to handle them safely. A bigger tractor?? **** the bad luck!!:D:D

What sort of attachment is best for handling the round bales? I was planning on having my brother fab up a pole rack that would slip over the bucket.

Big Al

No neighbors, man I am envious:thumbsup:

Ideally, a bale spear with a QA FEL or on a larger tractor 3-point, but my son fabbed up one for the FEL on our CX80, but adding length to the FEL is going to reduce capacity. We no longer have it or I would send pictures. He is down to one horse and is now using square bales.

HP is really not going to be as big of issue as tractor size and weight as some of the older tractors can handle a lot of weight with less power than you would imagine. It seems now that the two tend to be more closely related. Like I said, check the specs as some manufacturer's equipment tends to be heavier and within manufacturer's line different models will have the same HP, but with different size weight frames.

Tractor selection is really a pretty complicated process and I am by no means an expert.

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #8  
Welcome to the forum! I would agree with the others and say that a 30hp tractor isn't likely to have the loader capacity to work "large" round bales. Don't large rounds run in the 1600 to 2000 pound range? A loader with the Bob Cat style quick attach system will allow you to easily change between your bucket, a bale spear and forks. The other attachments you list look like a good starting point. I didn't see a post hole auger on the list which will be helpful during your fencing projects. Good luck and have fun.

MarkV

/ Best Tool for the Job??
TripleR - I never imagined there would be so many choices, from EACH mfg. It does make it a complicated process, and the research has worn me out. But, keeping it simple is critical, at least in my view. I took a look at the bale spears, and that would be the way to go. A round bale goes about 1 ton. There are some quality tractors in the low 40 hp range that have the frame weight and FEL juice to handle those. Might need some rear wheel weights, and/or filled tires.

This is what I have learned so far:

1. Having more tractor than what is needed is better than not having enough tractor for what is needed.

2. Weight is an important "feature". In other words, it matters - a lot.

3. The Dealer is a very important consideration in choosing brand. (I never consider this when buying a vehicle, but for boats I absolutely do. I figured it would be the same with tractors).

4. Do your homework on attachments - the ones with the mfg.'s logo and paint on them are often not of very good quality.

5. Tractors kill inattentive and/or stupid people. I did not realize how many people die each year while operating tractors.

MarkV - the PHD is on the list:thumbsup: I'm 49 years old. I threw my manual post hole digger away 5 years ago.:D

Big Al

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #10  
TripleR - I never imagined there would be so many choices, from EACH mfg. It does make it a complicated process, and the research has worn me out. But, keeping it simple is critical, at least in my view. I took a look at the bale spears, and that would be the way to go. A round bale goes about 1 ton. There are some quality tractors in the low 40 hp range that have the frame weight and FEL juice to handle those. Might need some rear wheel weights, and/or filled tires.

This is what I have learned so far:

1. Having more tractor than what is needed is better than not having enough tractor for what is needed.

2. Weight is an important "feature". In other words, it matters - a lot.

3. The Dealer is a very important consideration in choosing brand. (I never consider this when buying a vehicle, but for boats I absolutely do. I figured it would be the same with tractors).

4. Do your homework on attachments - the ones with the mfg.'s logo and paint on them are often not of very good quality.

5. Tractors kill inattentive and/or stupid people. I did not realize how many people die each year while operating tractors.

MarkV - the PHD is on the list:thumbsup: I'm 49 years old. I threw my manual post hole digger away 5 years ago.:D

Big Al

Sounds like you are well on your way to buying the right tractor. As for implements, sometimes the name means something and sometimes it does't. I usually stay with Woods or Land Pride as I have experience with them, but there are certainly other good brands out there.

Yes, tractor operation can be dangerous, but with proper precaution can be done safely.