Best Tool for the Job??

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #11  
Hello All,

New member here, very soon to be new tractor owner.

About 12 usable acres. 5 already in pasture with new fence. Will crossfence this piece. Row planted pine tree grove on another 3 acre section, with trees being about 10 years old. Plan to take most of these out, pature and fence. Thick hardwood stands across back of property with steep drop down to small creek. Will clear some of this area, but not put in pasture. Plan to purchase another 8 acre adjoing piece of uncleared land as well. Will keep 6 - 8 head of prize Arabian horses. Will be handling large round bales of hay.

[[So, I'm thinking 30-ish HP, 4WD Diesel, Hydrostatic Trans, power steering; front loader; 3 point; box blade; broadcast spreader; disc; bush hog (have a new lawn tractor for grass work near the house and barn); industrial tires.]]

Go ahead and blast away - I learn best while being beaten up:D:D
Big Al
Perfect. For the round bales youll need the heaviest 30+ HP you can find with a loader rated to at least 2K# -- and a good counterweight. -Youre lucky ... for extra traction and stabiliy weight you can ballast your tires with plain water. The loaded box blade may work for a true counterweight [being behind the axle]. I would go for a tractor that has AGs for the all around traction they offer. One that has good sized front tires. Even so youll probably have to run them at full pressure for the round bales unless you run a heavy counterweight.
larry

/ Best Tool for the Job??
Spyder - I am leaning more toward the AG tires as I learn. It makes sense that the extra bite they provide is useful when using the loader, even for 4WD tractors. The extra bite will also come in handy for the steep hill drop along the back of the property.

Turf damage is not really an issue for this place, as the layout allows for keeping the tractor out of the lawn around the house.

Big Al

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #13  
Spyder - I am leaning more toward the AG tires as I learn. It makes sense that the extra bite they provide is useful when using the loader, even for 4WD tractors. The extra bite will also come in handy for the steep hill drop along the back of the property.

Turf damage is not really an issue for this place, as the layout allows for keeping the tractor out of the lawn around the house.

Big Al

I agree with Spyderlk on the Ag and need to run plenty of pressure in the front tires. Some tractors are more prone to rolling a tire of the wheel than others. We have a Case that will roll a tire of really quick and a Massey that never has lost a tire even under extreme conditions.

I have Industrial tires on my L5030, but don't use it in the mud while my others that may be used in wet or muddy conditions have Ag tires.

What about a skid steer loader instead of a tractor?

Immense power in a small package, and an almost endless choice of attachments.

Big Al

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #15  
Consider a post driver and accommodating fence systems. Will be way faster than a PHD. If you go PHD, be careful with that thing. It's one of the most dangerous implements you can use.

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #16  
Agree you may need 50hp or so. Skid Steers are tough machines but more for construction type work I found. I sold mine and am very pleased with my latest toy, JD110 backhoe/loader. Great multi-purpose machine for a farm plus 4 wheel drive- important for loader work. You can also use them as a tractor only w/PTO etc. I keep a separate machine for PTO work for ease of operation.

Sounds like you may need to look at a tractor w/loader, 4 wheel drive & 50-55hp, since I'm spending your money.:)

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #17  
Snapper,

+1 for the bigger. Round bales are surprisingly hard on equipment especially when driven through a field.

Make sure you get a quick attach bucket, and get a bale spear while your at it. Round bales are kind of awkward to work with and a good spear give you a good bite and helps keeps you in control without tearing apart too many bales.

Continued thanks for the feedback. I will go for the max HP that the wallet will allow, and that looks to be 40+ rated HP.

Big Al

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #19  
Size of the machine, weight, is a factor since HP can be had with a light tractor.

Remember if you have alot of loader work on any kind of grade, 4 wheel drive may be needed.

Regarding skid steers, they tear the ground up and require at least 1 drink to get from A to B. :laughing:

/ Best Tool for the Job?? #20  
Hello All,

New member here, very soon to be new tractor owner.

I should start by clarifying - I am not looking for brand advice or to start a war:D

I do need some help in selecting the best type of tool, not the brand. I have operated tractors before, so am not a total newbie, BUT, I have not owned one before, so I am all ears.

The deal:

Just signed a purchase contract for Snapperhead Farms. The best part of this is that now I HAVE TO :D:thumbsup: buy a tractor.

About 12 usable acres. 5 already in pasture with new fence. Will crossfence this piece. Row planted pine tree grove on another 3 acre section, with trees being about 10 years old. Plan to take most of these out, pature and fence. Thick hardwood stands across back of property with steep drop down to small creek. Will clear some of this area, but not put in pasture. Plan to purchase another 8 acre adjoing piece of uncleared land as well. Will keep 6 - 8 head of prize Arabian horses. Will be handling large round bales of hay.

So, I'm thinking 30-ish HP, 4WD Diesel, Hydrostatic Trans, power steering; front loader; 3 point; box blade; broadcast spreader; disc; bush hog (have a new lawn tractor for grass work near the house and barn); industrial tires.

Go ahead and blast away - I learn best while being beaten up:D:D

Big Al

Work the problem backwards--make a list of tasks you need to do with your tractor and implements over the next 3-4 years and prioritize those tasks. Then figure out which implements and which size implements you're going to need to handle your tasks. Then start looking for a tractor or tractors to handle the implements you've selected. Trade off new vs used tractors and implements. Work it down to a few tractors and implements for which you have local dealers. Then get up close and personal with the hardware and the sales folks. Ask questions, get seat time on the tractors.