Best tractor in the 30 hp range

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Best tractor in the 30 hp range #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( look into the Kioti Ck30. Very stong dependable tractor with all the bells and whistles .. The John Deere 3120 is also a very nice tractor but your going to pay alot more for the same performance )</font>

Assume nothing! The performance may NOT be exactly the same, and the price difference may NOT be what you expect.

It doesn't cost to test drive. Getting bids is free too. There are lots of Deere and Kubota dealers by me, but only one Kioti. His prices are higher than the others. Nice machines, just more expensive. The situation could be reversed in the next town. Don't assume. And just because the Kioti dealer was higher than everyone else last week, doesn't mean he won't be the best deal next week.

Tom, The numbers go something like this: Kubota has about 60% of the CUT market. Deere has 20%, New Holland 12%, with Mahindra about 4%. A bunch of players slice up the remaining crumbs. Maybe you want to stick with a little guy. But if value and price are the big points I'd try to get the LOWEST price on the HIGHEST resale value.

Kubota. L2800HST, L3400, B3030, or B7800.

And I am a Deere guy.

/ Best tractor in the 30 hp range #13  
Also a good point Tom, Definitely test all brands previously mentioned.. Do some loader work with each if possible. As far as pricing, location may play a part, My Kioti Ck30 was thousands less then the others mentioned. Dont be afraid to get prices from members in ther perspective chat rooms. Also ask lots of pratical questions.. Youll know when youve found the right tractor for you. Dont let people scare you from Kioti or Mahindra, A quality dealership is key, find a dealer will take the time to answer your questions to your satisfaction. A quality product will sell itself and its resale will go hand in hand.. Both Kioti and Mahindra are rising stars.. You couldnt go wrong with either .... Good luck

/ Best tractor in the 30 hp range
I Plan on using a track hoe to clean up about 3 acre or more that will have some trees and grass. I will clean up some roads with clearings in the woods with the track hoe as well. There are black berries in places and I will have to work on them for a few years I figure. I have an acre or more of lawn that I use a lawn tractor on now, and a acre of field. I figure I will be using the tractor on about 4 or so acres and perhaps to keep some trails open as well. So mowing, brush hogging, some tilling (depending on what I decide to do) and using a front loader.
Thanks for your help so far. I think my question is a big tractor or a more maneuverable one.

/ Best tractor in the 30 hp range #15  
NH has "superstear" for some tight manuverability. I use my CK30 in some pretty heavy woods for clearing brush and moving deadfall. I wanted a heavy small tractor, mowing isn't a big priority, but I do bush hog some. Take your time and drive a lot of different models. The dealer is very important, more so than brand I think.

/ Best tractor in the 30 hp range #16  
Tom, I have a 30hp tractor that I use and recently (2 years ago) got an even smaller 24hp tractor. Since buying the smaller tractor, it gets more hours than the larger machine simply because it can fit in the woods much better. At 12" shorter, I can fit UNDER branches that the ROPS on the on B2910 can not get under. At 15" less length & 6" less widht, I can cut nice paths in the woods that curve through them without having to clear wide swings at the corners.

When it comes to getting near the house and mowing around landscaping, the smaller tractor is far faster than the larger one, although a mower is even faster. Manuverability is the key to speed. For loader work, the smaller machine gets into places that the larger cannot get into so its manuverability makes up for its lower capacity.

In the 30hp class of machines you can run a wide range of sizes, from the small B7800/B2910/B3030 class tractors up to the largest of the group being the L3130, CK30, 2910 (Branson), or you can shoot the middle size & weight range and look at the JD790 & 4x10 classes, New Holland TC29, Kubota L2800HST etc.

Your jobs sound like they are mostly mowing, tilling, cutting. Those jobs require PTO horsepower, the more the better. In my mind, those are also jobs for a light tractor to prevent soil compaction, rutting, etc. You want to work in woods, if you want to knock them down, get a big tractor, if you want to make nice paths through them then don't go any bigger than you need.

I admit to believing a few things so let me show you my bias. Most of us buy bigger tractors than we need. Most of us are testosterone junkies and think bigger must be better. Most of us are wrong most of the time (just ask the lovely Mrs_Bob how often I am right /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif). My experience shows me that on a small property, I want small tractors with the most HP I can get for most of my tasks most of the time. You are considering a B7800 (you said so in another thread), and while I don't know if that is the lowest price tractor or not, I do know it is the smallest & lightest 30hp tractor on the market today, and there are probably at least 100 guys here on TBN who use a varient of that machine (B7800/B2910/B3030) and are amazed by the amount of work it can do and how efficient it is for every task from mowing the lawn to digging a trench. It gives up some capacities to bigger tractors, and it gives up some traction to heavier tractors, but your tasks don't dictate the need for eeking out the last ounce of traction the HP can use and the trade off is a benefit to you in terms of going easier of the turf and less compaction in the areas you will till.

/ Best tractor in the 30 hp range #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In the 30hp class of machines you can run a wide range of sizes, from the small B7800/B2910/B3030 class tractors up to the largest of the group being the L3130, CK30, 2910 (Branson), or you can shoot the middle size & weight range and look at the JD790 & 4x10 classes, New Holland TC29, Kubota L2800HST etc.
)</font>

Bob, I think you should add the New Holland TC30. Tom wanted to be competitive and I think the TC30 is a good all around tractor. Light for yard work but heavy enough to do the other work Tom wants to do and is typically priced nice as it has no bells and whistles. I think the John Deere 790 fits this also. If it was me I would start getting to know the dealers in the area. After you find the dealer you like then pick the tractor.

murph

/ Best tractor in the 30 hp range #18  
As has often been pointed out here, the dealer makes more difference than the brand.

I suggest the first thing you do is survey all tractor dealerships in the local area. If you have or plan to get a trailer big enough to haul a tractor, you might expand your search as far as Vancouver. Talk to the dealers and examine their operations. Get a feel for the place. Ask them their policies on transporting the machine if it has to come in for service. Who pays, etc. The policy may differ between warranty and non-warranty calls.

Some you may want to write off for various reasons. That's up to you. Certainly write off any that don't seem to have their act together.

At this point you should have a list of brands with acceptable dealers, and you should have some idea of what kind of prices the dealers in your area are charging. Consider all brands, including those you never heard of, as long as you are comfortable with the dealer.

At this point you should be well prepared to post more pointed queries on TBN, and you will find a lot of help. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Best tractor in the 30 hp range #19  
I too, recently went through your decision. The guys here are a mother-load of great info.

Although I thought I was buying a machine to match intended uses, I probably just ended up with the machine that seemed to 'fit' the best -- combination of features, price, dealer support, fit and finish, ergonomics.

Unless you are upgrading, you probably won't know exactly what jobs will use most of your time. Although others might disagree, I would lean toward just SLIGHTLY over-estimating your requirements. I sure am glad for the extra hp when running a 72" mower through heavy growth, or moving soil quickly on the trails.

I ended up with the L3400DT (gears) as it was the most hp/$$ in my area and really fit well. LOVE IT!

Good luck!! I know you will end up with 'the best' tractor out there and then spend days convincing others of why this is so /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shawn

/ Best tractor in the 30 hp range #20  
I too, recently went through your decision. The guys here are great and a lot of help. I ended up with a ck30hst. It's 3000 less then the bota and 3500 less then the JD. With more bells and whistles.

Status
Not open for further replies.