Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings?

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings?
Thanks guys.

What is a brush grubber tool? Can someone send a link to one?

Also, the size of the saplings is 3" and down. Anything bigger and I'd need to chainsaw it which I'll do. Probably most of what's in my way is 2" in diameter. Haven't been back in the woods with my FEL yet but will try knocking stuff down with the bucket and see how that works. I can also use any small pieces that don't get destroyed for kindling as suggested.

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #12  
Thanks guys.

What is a brush grubber tool? Can someone send a link to one?

Also, the size of the saplings is 3" and down. Anything bigger and I'd need to chainsaw it which I'll do. Probably most of what's in my way is 2" in diameter. Haven't been back in the woods with my FEL yet but will try knocking stuff down with the bucket and see how that works. I can also use any small pieces that don't get destroyed for kindling as suggested.

The best technique I have found for pushing out small saplings with the loader it to put the bucket right at ground level. On a larger tree you start by pushing up high to get more leverage, but these little pine saplings are too springy. If you set your bucket flat and push right at ground level generally they push right out. If they get partially uprooted but don't come out, take the edge of the bucket under the exposed root ball and lift/push, they'll roll right out of the ground.

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #13  
Here is a link to the regular duty brush grubber sold thru Gemplers

Brush Grubber Brush Tongs / Tree Tongs, Logging Supplies - GEMPLER'S

I have used it by hooking a chain thu it and to the draw bar on the tractor and also running a chain thru it and hooking each end of the chain over bucket hooks and raising the bucket. The harder you pull on it the harder it digs into the tree. It works best if the tree is at least 1/2" and up to about 2". The heavy duty one will handle bigger trees, but I doubt your BX will unless you have another tractor to use.

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #14  
The best technique I have found for pushing out small saplings with the loader it to put the bucket right at ground level. On a larger tree you start by pushing up high to get more leverage, but these little pine saplings are too springy. If you set your bucket flat and push right at ground level generally they push right out. If they get partially uprooted but don't come out, take the edge of the bucket under the exposed root ball and lift/push, they'll roll right out of the ground.

Right on the money!! Add a toothbar and it is a breeze!!

Deano

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #15  
I have had the best luck with the least amount of ground damage using the hitch, a good size rope and "D" rings. Tie in the "D" rings so you can overlap the rope and it won't cut or bind on itself. Then loop one end onto the tree, , but make sure its within 6" of the base, hook the other "D" ring onto the rear hitch. Get a spare tire and place it under the rope and as close to the tree base as you can get it, then sinch up the tension and snatch it out. The tire will apply the leverage in an upward motion. You do need another hand to hold the tire up while you tighen up the line. But after that, its like pulling the cork on a wine bottle on anything under 6" diameter and bigger on softwoods.
When you tie off on the base, the tire rolls a little and you actually lift the root ball out of the ground, this snaps off the tap root and the drip line roots without tearing the sod (like it would if you just pulled on it at a right angle)
In your case if you can pull straight downhill it would be best and prolly the safest for sure.
Sorry its such a long instruction for such a simple application.
Works like a champ and since I tried this over 20 years ago, I have not tried it anyother way.

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #18  
Old thread, but worth re-visiting.

Over the weekend, I needed to clear some saplings, and at the last minute thought to snap a pic of what I've used for years to pull mulberry trees that the birds transplant everywhere. I used to just wrap around the sapling and hook to my Jeep Eco-diesel in 4X4-Low and 'idle' it out, but tried using the BH - some I had to break some roots w/ the ripper, but many I just grabbed with the choker and hooked to the ripper, curled it, and out they came, easy peasy!

2017-08-19 11.51.47.jpg

Here's the choker I have used for 15 years now
Brush Grubber Shrub/Clump Grubber, Model# BG-16 | Weed Control Brush Removal| Northern Tool + Equipment

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #19  
I had to pull out some hundreds of small and medium invasive bushes from a forest that came with our property.
I made a simple hook that mounted on the 3-point; just backed it up. Pulled forward until it cut into the stem, then lifted and pulled forward.
When reversing and dropping the 3-point, the plant would usually pop out, so I didn't need to dismount at all.
It didn't look as cool as your setup, but it was cheap and fast.
I cut it up for re-use when I was done.

/ Best way or tool to remove small pine saplings? #20  
Bolt a couple of spikes/teeth/ forks to the bottom of the bucket. Then dig them in under the tree and curl & lift while going forward.