Best way to fix these?

/ Best way to fix these? #1  

jdl25

Tractor
Kubota L185, L2650
I was not sure what forum to place this request for help in. Please move it if it needs to be moved.

These are fenders off of a Kubota L185.

Are they too far gone? What is the best way to fix if possible? I do not have experience with body or sheet metal work. I have a welder and hammers and sanders...

I am not expecting a showroom finish this is a working tractor. I knew that the metal was in rough shape but did not expect to find this much rust underneath. At some point in the tractor's life there was a poor rattle can paint job. The hood looks good sanded down.

Thanks,

/ Best way to fix these? #2  
For functional repairs you can always sand/grind to bare metal and fiberglass patch as well as use bondo (body filler).
Hammer back to shape any dents first.
Big secret is to get to bare metal when doing any body repairs otherwise patches and fillers won't adhere.
Fiberglass and Bondo can usually be sanded back to conform to shape and the norm is to final fill with a finishing putty that then is fine sanded prior to painting. (for a tractor you might skip finishing putty)
I would avoid spray can finishes in favor of good automotive primers and heavier paints sold by the quart.
Use a spray gun if you have one and if not you might just resort to a fine quality brush and carefully apply a brushed on finish.
One trick I have used is to spray the undersides of fenders with automotive gravel guard that body shops usually use on rocker panels.
(kind of a rubbery finish that prevents chipping and is actually paintable)

Hey, good luck and I'm betting that that L185 will look just great once it is all the same color!
Places like Tractor Supply have matching tractor paints 'by the quart'.

/ Best way to fix these?
Ten four, thank you. I will update with progress reports.

/ Best way to fix these? #4  
Those look like they are rusted through in places. You might need to weld a patch on the back side and then fill with bondo.

/ Best way to fix these? #5  
;) Take it to American Restoration and have it featured on a prime time television show.

/ Best way to fix these? #6  
Several places are rusted through. You will not be able to sand and paint. If your good at sheet metal then patch the rusted out areas.
I would look for a used fender. You may get lucky and find one.

As PILOON stated a spray gun will give the best results.

/ Best way to fix these? #7  
If you can sandblast it clean you could get an inexpensive fiberglass patch kit from wal mart (the one with the glass cloth) and make that fender look almost new. As stated above use the implement paint from the local farm supply and spray it on.

Nothing will work very well unless you clean all that rust off really good.

Post some pics when you get it knocked out.

/ Best way to fix these? #8  
I would not use fiberglass on a tractor fender. It will never bond to the metal good enough to not separate. Sand blasting would be best to get it clean, but if I didn't have a way to do that, or want to pay for it to be done, then I would just sand it as good as I could. Then I would go to a place like Sherwin Williams and get a product used to seal and kill rust. I forget what it's called, but it comes in a spray bottle and you just squirt it on and let it dry overnight. Then fill the rough areas and holes with bondo, sand, prime and paint. Rustolium has a really good primer. It's a couple bucks more per spray can, but worth it.

/ Best way to fix these? #9  
I would not use fiberglass on a tractor fender. It will never bond to the metal good enough to not separate. Sand blasting would be best to get it clean, but if I didn't have a way to do that, or want to pay for it to be done, then I would just sand it as good as I could. Then I would go to a place like Sherwin Williams and get a product used to seal and kill rust. I forget what it's called, but it comes in a spray bottle and you just squirt it on and let it dry overnight. Then fill the rough areas and holes with bondo, sand, prime and paint. Rustolium has a really good primer. It's a couple bucks more per spray can, but worth it.

rust reformer is the product you were thinking of.
Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 215215 Stops Rust Rust Reformer Rust Reformer 10.25-Ounce Spray-Color Black: Home Improvement

/ Best way to fix these? #10  
That's not what I've used. It comes in a squirt bottle like windex and it has an acid in it, along with other stuff. You wire brush and sand the rusted areas, then spray it on the bare metal. I've used it on railings and outdoor brackets for clients. The next day it has a bit of a sheet to it that you just paint over.

I looked on their website and didn't find it. I just tell them at the store what I want and that's what they sell me. I know there are others brands out there, that's just the one I have experience with.