Best way to insulate a pole barn

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #11  
I framed my 24 X 36 pole barn using 2 X 4s. I then insulated it the same as a home. I used CDX with screws instead of drywall on the inside. It supports the weight of a lot of my tools and it can easily be removed to change wiring inside the wall at a later date if need be. It is also toasty warm on any below zero day when I fire up the suspended gas unit heater.

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #12  
I was considering the CDX option on my lower 1st story barn, but the price now is out ragous, 29 bucks for a 4x8 x 3/4 sheet! I saw a post here aobut 6~10 months back guy used the 1" thick FOIL backed styrofoam, screwed it on using the plastic button screws. the foil to the inside for added light reflection made barn VERY bright over not having it.

I've started doing a bit of mine using the 1.5" styro in between the 2x4 perlins cutting to fit. still expensive, but I'll eventually 2x6 stud wall it and use R19 in there with craft faced. and then drywall or styro with foil like he did for light.

UNLESS OSB prices drop back into the relm of reality...

We at work have a metal framed steel building with that spray on foam, it looks like a cave inside, and the birds tore heck out of it it does cut down on rain noise and heats OK with it though... it was done years back at least 15 maybe more so it was like 1st gen foam spray on stuff...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn
DannyD

Hi again. Did you ever hear back from the Icynene guy?

I've still not started the project - it will probably have to wait for spring.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #14  
Ed,
I have comparible building (although mine isn't metal) and live in the same weather environment.
Can you tell me more about your heat source and intentions?
Do you want to heat the whole thing or just the wood shop?
Are you going to leave the heat on all season or only when you use it?
I ask because these items may help define your needs in terms of R factor and $ return on the different insulation products/methods.

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #15  
Actually I did, sorry I did not post this. They told me that the insulation MUST be installed by a licensed (by them) installer. Contacting them will do the trick, they will send someone in your area.

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #16  
Last summer, after insulating my lower shop with fiberglass bats and plywood, I called the Icynene man for the unfinished 2d story of a stick built 24' x 32' gambrel truss building. The second story's ceiling is 5-6' below the roof and fiberglass would have been very difficult.

The Icynene man sprayed the 4" deep side-walls and 6"under the roof, between the trusses (OSB) Also downstairs he sprayed those triangular spaces on the sidewalls at the ceiling from the truss floor and 1/2 of the those rectangle spaces between the ends of the floor trusses( I did one wall of these and a lot of cutting and fitting is involved) Also one neat trick he did was seal 32 24" x 6" spaces on the 2 d floor between were the roof trusses come off the top plate (it's a gambrel roof so the 2d story is defind by the roof) and soffit ventlation is. He would spray about 18" above this opening and as it was puffing-up over 10 - 15 seconds, he would grab-it with his gloved hands and fold it down into the opening and perfectly seal it off. You don't dare spray right above the perforated soffit - it would ooze through the perforations and create a mess. The material is 138 degrees F as it comes out of the 2 nozzles at the spray gun and reacts.

He wore a Tyvdek suit and hood and a respirator connected to an little outside compressor. A fine, very adherent, dust gets all over everything. It is a very hot job and, in fact, the guy came stumbling out after several hours with the "chills". He was flirting with heat stroke ! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Think ahead about serious ventilation /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

After he was done spraying he used one of those thin long japanese saws that cuts on the pull, to cut off the puffy over-spray flush between the studs on the sidewalls where paneling or drywall would go.

He showed me photos of multiple jobs that they had done. He said it was perfect for pole buildings because it stuck to the inside of the metal paneling even if it was frosted over and elimentated any space for condecsation. Also it's a vapor barrier (altho it is open cell and water can slowly transverse it- so it's not to be where it could wick moisture), it "glues" the building together ( there is is a canadien study in progress quantifying this ) and air infiltration is eliminated (often this factor significantly compromises the insulating value of fiberglass bats) and deadens sound.

Romex, wires, plumbing lines don't need any special protection but trying to fish lines would be a real challenge so you got to plan ahead. For a shop or barn I like to run those in conduit on the outside for access and safety.

The whole building had a sweet cotton candy smell for a year. The building is as tight as a garage and I've had no bird or varmit issues. The second story is much cooler with the icynene on the underside orf the roof, I hade 2 roof vents I sprayed over but are marked with chunks of styrofoam and could easily be cut open. I was concerned about starting a diesel and trapping the fumes in the winter but I do that infrequently. O yes, an ill-fitting and cheap roll-up garage door can become the worst offender re heat loss.

The Icynene job cost me $2788, took one guy 10 hrs with a big van truck with obviously specialized equipment. Clearly this is not a do-it-yourself task. An experienced applicator is a must considering safety, tweeking the equipment, the mess and gauging the final thickness.

One question that wasn't addressed was toxic fumes in a fire which would be more dicey in a home. All in all, it wasn't cheap but it could easily make up for the labor and it has some real solid advantages. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #17  
You might consider a 2x4 wall, with 2x4's vertical and spaced 24" on center horizonally. That way you can use 2' wide sheets of rigid insulation. The stuff with the shiny silver foil on both sides is R=14 at 2" thick. I think it's called
polyisocyanurate

So you could use a 2" thick piece and a 1 1/2" thick piece and get about R=25. It will cost you about $25 for both sheets in 4x8 size, or about $0.75 per sq ft of wall area.

Finish with drywall or other surface of your choosing.

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #19  
Ed, this is my first post on this site. I have a metal concrete floored 30x90 pole barn which I want to divide into 3 sections: 1: leave as-is for misc, 2: woodshop, 3: car/boat/motorcycle storage & man cave

I want to frame and insulate 2 & 3 and have been searching for different ideas. Looks like you did this very thing 6 years ago so hope you can give me advice on what you did and what you wish you had done differently.

My barn has 4x6 posts on 8' centers with a roof truss at every post pair.

My plans now are to frame and erect two 30' wide walls to establish the wood shop and one wall of the car storage. Also frame walls along the sides and at the garage door end of the car storage. All framing will be on 2' centers. I will use R13 batt insulation on the sides and garage door end with R5.4 foil backed 4x8 insulation on the outside wall of the woodshop. If I need more insulation I can add another layer later. For the ceiling I will run 16' 2x4's on 4' centers perpendicular to the 10' high roof trusses screwing them into the bottom of the trusses. Then screwing the same 4x8" foil backed insulation to the bottom of the 2x4-16's parallel to the trusses and then blow in fiberglass insulaton on top of that.

Heating will be via a used house furnace that I'll pick up and route lines into the ceilings...cooling will be by a window AC in rooms 2 & 3.

I'm in Southern Indiana

Thanks, Bob

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #20  
There's another pole barn poster on here that used nu-wool with success. It could be cheaper than the spray foam. I used a soybean-based open cell spray foam in my rafters on my house about two years ago and sealed the attic soffits with it. The stuff rocks. I used the same stuff to sound proof (?) my office from the rest of the house.