Best way to insulate a pole barn

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #21  
It really depends on what you are using your barn for and how you are heating it. As all the recommendations here are for spray foam which is an excellent insulator. It is very expensive and most often outside the scope of a barn. However you have many different lower cost options available to you. Foil insulation is proven in the steel building and pole barn industry and is offered by all the fabricators. I would call a pole barn supplier and ask them what insulation packages they have available and that will get you started on all of your options.

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #22  
It really depends on what you are using your barn for and how you are heating it. As all the recommendations here are for spray foam which is an excellent insulator. It is very expensive and most often outside the scope of a barn. However you have many different lower cost options available to you. Foil insulation is proven in the steel building and pole barn industry and is offered by all the fabricators. I would call a pole barn supplier and ask them what insulation packages they have available and that will get you started on all of your options.

I like reading this thread, but it is almost 9 years old. A Zombie thread!!!

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #23  
When we had our 24' x 32' pole barn put up, I had them put 2" blue foam insulation boards all around the perimeter, 2' wide, under the conc. slab. If I had it to do over, I would go for 4' wide, or even better, under the whole slab, but money was tight. I built 2 x 4 walls inside the metal exterior walls, 6" in, and used R-19 batt insulation (tight money, remember) and then drywalled it. Used 2 x 4 spacers between the roof trusses (they were 7' - 6" OC) and then R 30 batts above the ceiling drywall. I am pretty happy with the resulting heatability... a small direct vent unit, and my solar heating, will keep it warm enough in the winter, if I want to work out there. BTW, epoxying the conc. floor slab was about the single best thing ever- makes clean up soooo easy. It has held up well for 13 years so far. The spray foam is great, but pricey. If you can think ahead- like, I will be using this building for 30 years, or whatever, then maybe the extra cost up front for foam will bring smiles to your face in 2045 when propane is $12 a gallon.

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #24  
This might be a duplicate response. I just noticed the date! Sorry, I'm new and getting things figured out over here.

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn
I finally am getting around to insulating my barn! I decided to go with 1 1/2" dense foam board between the purlins and then cover it with 7/16 OSB. Quick and cost effective. In the back part of the barn which is walled off, will be heated more in the winter and will have a ceiling, I am just going with OSB and bats on top. In the front part, I am leaving the trusses open and will probably go with foil faced foam on the sloped part and\or some of the newer foil faced thin roll insulation.

/ Best way to insulate a pole barn #26  
I finally am getting around to insulating my barn! I decided to go with 1 1/2" dense foam board between the purlins and then cover it with 7/16 OSB. Quick and cost effective. In the back part of the barn which is walled off, will be heated more in the winter and will have a ceiling, I am just going with OSB and bats on top. In the front part, I am leaving the trusses open and will probably go with foil faced foam on the sloped part and\or some of the newer foil faced thin roll insulation.

I did the same. Used 1-1/2" Foamular between the purlins and went with 1/2" OSB over. So far I am very happy with this. I did this more to stop condensation and strengthen the walls. Not sure there will ever be much heat other than kerosene to chase chills.