Best way to spread gravel??

/ Best way to spread gravel??
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks for all the advice guys, it's really appreciated! I just need to figure out how to extend the dump controls into the cab of the truck now! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm thinking what I'll do is have my son drive the truck forward in low 4 and I'll slowly raise the dump to drop the gravel. Probably be ugly the first few loads, but I figure I'm gonna need quite a few by the time I do 100 yards at 4 tons per load! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have a good one,
Dave

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #22  
Your looking at about 40 ton for one lane wide 300' long. About the time your done you'll have it figured out /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The drivers here chain the gate and lift the dump until it just starts to fall out. Then go like hell lifting the rest of the way. They take off pretty quick until speed, not sure 10-12mph maybe?

Yup, that was pretty close to what I was guessing. I don't have a tailgate that I can chain in position. My doors open and are held at the side. What I'm hoping is to do a technique like what you're talking just minus the gate.

Regards,
Dave

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #24  
I haven't followed the enitre thread, but based on your last comment, maybe you could make a tailgate for doing this out of 2x4's and leave a couple off at the bottom to control the flow out.

Could experiment on how many and also attach with screws from the outside so you could always add/remove as you went if needed.

That's a great idea. (and I've got 4-5 2"x8"'s sitting in the garage. I'll have to take a look and see if there's a good way to attach.

Have a good one,
Dave

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #26  
I had some 100 ton dumped lats year mostly for barn base, but also in the drive. they spread the first 20 ton and the drive was so soft he sank getting in and out. so I had ihm pile/spread at end only the last 20 ton. that made a lot of work but my box blade managed to PULL it all way down and made it pack in a bit as I drove over the same drive parts some too. it was so wet that it was like driving on a sponge the drive base would sink almost a full inch or more under each tractor wheel! and rise back up as I went off it... I have a 28 HP heavy import china tractor. JINMA 284) and a 6' box blade, it pulls the blade full of 57 easy as long as traction staied up. when I hit a soft spot I'd have to raise up the box and dump a bit there and then drop it as it took traction and going. it worked well enough but working the wet drive was a mess! and I had to fill ruts left form the first loads of gravel. those were duals about 12" deep so the hole 2nd load was hole filler only.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif remeember don't have it delivered if the base is sopping wet as the truck trailer will do more damage that the fill inside it can re-fill!

Mark /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #27  
I just had a 16 ton dump truck load of 1 inch white rock
delivered Monday for my 1200 foot driveway. One load
covers 600 feet and I usually get one load a year and alternate which 600 feet gets the load. The tailgate chained partially open works great but you said that you would be using a dump trailer that might not have that feature.
On one short stretch of the 600 feet, the dump truck operator
has to lower the dump bed so a 15 inch tree branch doesn't dump the truck over. On that section I turn my rear blade around and take a couple of passes and that does the trick.

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #28  
Dave,

I'd "gate-spread" the material the best you can from the truck, then.....Get yourself a landscape rake with proper gauge wheels. They are very useful implements. Your driveway will look professionally installed when complete. I haven't touched my rear blade since I got my landscape rake. You'll be surprised how often you'll want to touch up your driveway in the spring and fall too. They last forever with reasonable care.

Jim

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #29  
I've also found a landscape rake to work better than a blade at gravel spreading and road maintenance.

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #30  
Got bored today so I hooked up the landscape rake and touched up my gravel drive. I like to pull it reversed as it seems to give a much smoother finish.