Best way to spread gravel??

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #31  
I have a 1/2 mile long drive way. I have found that the landscape rake works best for spreading gravel. I agree that the truck driver can lay a good mat, but it just finishes it much better with a pass or two from the rake.

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #32  
I've found that a garden rake and getting out there naked with it works well.

Ralph

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #33  
<font color="blue"> I've found that a garden rake and getting out there naked with it works well. </font>

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is that similar to my neighbor working out in his yard in his Speedo's?
Personally, I prefer to have long pants on when doing yard work, especially while using the weedeater. It ends up being less painful when you hit small stones, among other reasons... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #34  
I use my landscape rake to "groom" the gravel on the 3/4 mile road in my subdivision after it's annual truck-spread "topping off" - and between times to pull the gravel from the sides back onto the road.

In the spring, before the "topping off", I've been using my box blade with rippers down to rip up the areas with potholes and washboard. But I'm looking for something better. the rippers cut grooves about 8" apart and it takes several evenly spaced passes to get the surface properly roughed up.

I've been thinking about a rotary harrow like This one . The web page says it can be used "for renovating arenas and driveways to conditioning any sand, soil or gravel surface" but I wonder if it would be "tough" enough to work on a compacted gravel (this is "crusher run" with lots of fines in it) surface.

Anyone have any thoughts on the rotary harrow for this or suggestions for another implement?

Thanks

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #35  
By gar Ralph; don't you know a rake segregates the gravel and makes it impossible to pack properly.

Any geoteck engineers out there would go into hysterics knowing you be raking the gravel.

Egon

/ Best way to spread gravel?? #36  
I agree with many here on the advantages of a landscape rake. With gauge wheels and a properly set top-link, it requires very little skill or patience to produce good results.

And yes you can rent them from rental yards, though they don't always have the gauge wheels. Obviously, renting is an attractive option for something that may be used only once or twice a year.