Best wood splitter for the money

/ Best wood splitter for the money #21  
Are you able to sell it green split, not seasoned, thus moving it pretty quick without needing much room to store much? If that's the case then could you still do the same on the expanded volumes or would the peaks swamp your current area?

Otherwise, aren't you going to need somewhere cheap, free, secure to process and store it? If that is the case, then that might be the ultimate constraining factor.

/ Best wood splitter for the money
Are you able to sell it green split, not seasoned, thus moving it pretty quick without needing much room to store much? If that's the case then could you still do the same on the expanded volumes or would the peaks swamp your current area?

Otherwise, aren't you going to need somewhere cheap, free, secure to process and store it? If that is the case, then that might be the ultimate constraining factor.

I usually have 3 different wood plots each year, all in different stages. 1 that was timbered a year or two ago for the seasoned wood that usually goes straight from landing to customer during summer months. Thus it has time to fully dry before winter. 2, a plot that was just timbered, wood that I split and stack at my home for late winter or next season. Gives it a little more time to cure. And 3 a plot that I feel I can do easily in winter, not too steep! I rotate between the plots depending on slow sales or lots of sales, so I am always working on wood somehow to stay ahead. I usually work each plot for 3 years, after that wood quality gets poor. I keep this rotation by dropping the 3rd year plot each year and picking up a fresh one.

I am at max production levels now with what equipment and time I have, about 450 face cords max per year. I work a regular job as well as mow some lawns and bush hog commercially. It all goes good, but gets very hetic at times. I have that business minded drive that more is better and I'd like to do more. This is why I am looking at top notch equipment built for speed and no nonsence. In my mind it costs alot up front, but I am in it for the long haul and feel it will pay off in the end, both financially and since I am not pushing my body too hard with all the equipment I have to make it easier, I should still have some health in the long run as well.

I dont have much area here at home to store much more then 100 fc at a time, and only some of that (about 30fc) has a "decent" spot to be split and in a dry area. Pole wood logs that I have delivered are on flat accesable areas, but get wet during fall/winter, so not good for finished product. The landings aren't a very good/secure spot to store finished product. Sometimes I will leave logs there though for winter work.

I can't sell green wood. Or I won't. I am a little fussy about my product and most customers don't want to mess with it any way. Usually I have fire wood at some stage that I can acess and get to the customer when they want it so I don't need much storage at my current maxed out 450 fc production. So if I got more customers and higher production, I feel with the right equipment I could keep up with it. Very good thought about limited space restricting higher production! I never even thought about it. I will ponder that one some more. Thanks. This is why I ask stuff like this here on tbn. Get me the thoughts I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

Also going to run numbers on the 3ph model, tw3hd with out the log lift and hyd wedge lift. Maybe I could make that work if the buy up price was low enough. Costs me roughly $12 per hour to run tractor with $2000 implement, like a bush hog or winch. So, robsaid here he runs his rpms lower with his tw3hd and 4 way wedge and he said he still gets decent cycle times, that would save fuel, etc.. so I need to find out cycle times of tw3hd at what lower rpms and how many approx face cords or ricks in an hour that produces. Would have to be at least 4 or more fc per hour to make it a consideration.

So if any one out ther could chime in if they own a tw3hd, rob? I'd appreaciate it.

tw3hd stated cycle time is 10 seconds, but I don't know what rpms that is at. 10 seconds and 6 pieces? I have to think on this one. So many varables.

/ Best wood splitter for the money #24  
I'm using my tractors for other things right now (haying and sawmill) so I can't go out and time the ram for you right now...

I roll my cut firewood right off my trailer onto the splitter, so the log lift wouldn't be of much use for me, and the wedge lift would have been a waste of money too.... The table grate is a HUGE plus though...

SR

/ Best wood splitter for the money #25  
Are you confident you can rely upon wood plot owners being happy to have wood there, and grant you access to it, for up to three years, and such a plot rotation with your own storage area augmenting it, will give you the seasoned wood volumes needed to meet the expanded volumes? If so, then that sounds like a great plan that won't require much room or the costs thereof.

I do something similar but it is always a worry about the properties changing hands or wood evaporating before I can sell (and shift) it.

Without supply side constraints, then, how about this for a plan:

- buy a dedicated, automatic block splitter. Because you mentioned tops, I'm assuming the rounds are unlikely to be too big, so I have a particular machine in mind. It is not cheap (about US$35k is my guestimate), but it is simple and very safe to operate and will produce a real-world 8-10 full cords a day with one operator.
- park this block splitter at home and run it on the weekends yourselves or perhaps a local neighbour or neighbours kids want some part-time work in the weekends.
- squirrel blocks on the way home each night like you do now, accumulating them throughout the week to process the lot in the weekend. This would be trial and error - but I'm guessing you could get home enough through the week to keep the machine fed for a day, or maybe go two weeks of accumulating and then fire up the block splitter.
-if you are able to spread the now expanded volumes of deliveries throughout the Summer, then you'll have enough time to do all this yourself and still not become a stranger to your family and friends. Could skip weekends or a night or two after work each week, to spend with family or whatever, and still get through processing and delivering the whole lot yourself or with the part-time help of a neighbour or neighbours kid in the weekends. The good thing is the splitting is automatic, so just about anyone with the IQ above that of a fence post can run the splitter without you having to worry too much.

I looked at what I could find of the large block splitters. The "pezalatto" on you tube was about the only one I found. Interesting. I haven't ruled such a machine out, but I think it would out due the entire rest of my operation, such as my winching and skidding, my chainsaws for blocking up, and my truck capacity for getting enough wood home to feed such a machine. In other words, I should upgrade all my other equipment to stay in the same class as the automatic block splitter machine I watched. It did make some nice pieces of firewood though. I will think more on this.

/ Best wood splitter for the money #27  
Please forget that Pezzolato. As sexy as it is, it is pushing into the 6-figure bracket. Ouch.

I'm using my tractors for other things right now (haying and sawmill) so I can't go out and time the ram for you right now...

I roll my cut firewood right off my trailer onto the splitter, so the log lift wouldn't be of much use for me, and the wedge lift would have been a waste of money too.... The table grate is a HUGE plus though...

SR

That's ok. On you tube the video shows tractor at 2000rpms and about 10 second cycle.

I timed my splits tonight with my dr kinetic splitter and for 3 splits, 4 pieces, I was averaging about 8 seconds. This was from the time I started the first split, until I threw the last piece in pile. For 5 splits, 6 pieces, I was averaging about 15 seconds same procedure.

The tw3hd and tw5 have a stated 10 second cycle time. That's 5 seconds to split and 5 seconds back by way video shows. The 5 seconds back doesn't mean much as this is when the operator will be either throwing the pieces on the truck or getting the next block for splitting. So with a 6 way wedge on the timber wolfs, it should be noticeably faster, easier, safer, and have more of a "flow" to the process then the dr rapud fire kinetic splitter at its 3 second, single wedge.

As far as the log lift, I am unsure about the usefulness of it compared to its extra cost. It is nice to have a table at times and those bigger blocks get heavy lifting off ground at times, but the log lift will cost extra and at times be in the way of operation and positioning the splitter I think. Operator should be on side of splitter wher the blocks are to load and operate splitter. Truck is on the opposite side for opeaator to throw split pieces into. The log lift would mess up this process and style of positioning of equipment. Would slow operation down.

And the hyd wedge lift. I have always had mixed thoughts on this as it can be nice to center wedge on larger blocks, but is an extra step/lever to move to do it. It is nice to just split and push the wood through and throw and not interupt with another movement= positioning the wedge. Just split baby! Also, after watching timber wolf video on you tube for 100th time, I noticed a potential flaw with hyd wedge lift that makes it kinda useless like rob said. If you raise wedge up to split larger block and split, pieces stay in edge split until next block is pushed through, or operator can pry them out from under wedge which I consider a waste of extra effort. Any way those pieces if left in the wedge until next block is pushed through will hinder the wedge from lowering if your next block is smaller. So I am kinda agreeing with rob that the hyd wedge lift is useless. If you do get splits left over that are to big and need resplit, I would think you would want them at the top of wedge to easily grap and run back through. And this is where they would be if the wedge just stayed low, so hyd wedge lift may not be worth it. (Itcomes standard on tw5 though, but is option on tw3hd)

Now onto costs. I guestimated after dickering prices, approximate final costs might be $4000 for tw3hd and $8000 for tw5. And after playing with numbers in a way that is so complicated I don't want to go into detail tonight, the costs to run each splitter is about the same per face cord. $3.50 for tw3hd and $3.75 for tw5, at the above buy up costs, with maintenance, fuel, ins, over 10 years at 400 face cord per year. The tw3hd has less of a buy up cost, but more of a to run cost due to it requiring a 24k tractor to run it. The tw5 has more of a buy up cost, but less of a to run cost. So over long time the tw5 might be better choice, but I am seeing some better options with the tw3hd being run off the tractor. The extra $2000 for the extra second it saves per split and extra 3 ton splitting power of the tw6, kinda takes this one out of the picture. So between the tw3hd on tractor, or the self contained tw5, or go into real logging and get better acess to straight pole wood and buy a processor, or a auto block splitter like kiwibro mentioned and start buying just blocks of firewood from others. Many options here. As for now I like the timber wolfs splitters with 6 way wedge, or else a nap on a comfy couch. Sorry for the long winded posts.

/ Best wood splitter for the money #29  
WOW, I had no idea that the $3,500.00 tractor that runs my 3HD was worth $24,000.00! I'm making some money on that deal!!

SR

/ Best wood splitter for the money #30  
A note about the 10 second cylce time...

That is on low pressure high flow of the pump. Pushing a block through a 6 way it will spend some time on low speed high pressure mode.

Just how much time depends on how stringy or knotted the wood.

The other bad thing about a 6-way IMO, it creates more waste. Not every piece is prime for 6 pieces.

In the reality of things, I think you will see little if any speed gain oner the dr