Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year?

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #11  
I have mostly red raspberries with some blackberries in a planting about 100 feet long. By mid July there're usually more than we and the birds can consume. This year was a bad year though and was thinking it had something to do with weather. I'm in NJ. We had a very wet spring here. There're berries but they're small and fall apart easily in your hand when you pick them.

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #12  
Our peaked around the wk of July 4th this year.. BUT then the heat set in and they dried up quickly AND either the japenese beatles or june bugs were really eating them up..

Most years we dont make it this far - when we are about a wk or so from being ripe we get a heat spell and they dry up..

Just curious - our bb are wild and all grown up - so much you can only pick around the edges at best.. Could I (would it be recommended) to rough cut them down and then try to develop rows of them so picking is easier?

Brian

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #13  
I just learned something...I think

What I've always called blackberries are dewberries...and what I've called juneberries (always ripe in June) are blackberries...

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #14  
In France, blackberries generally come at the beginning of September and the kids have a great time picking them just before going back to school after the summer holidays. This year spring has been particularly warm and blackberries are particularly sweet and a month early, we are picking them now. As it has also been very dry so far, they are less numerous and smaller than usual. We eat them in various pastries and desserts but do not make wine with them, we do that with grapes.

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #15  
Our black berries are just at the stage of little green berries now. It doesn't look like much of crop this year. We had a cool Spring which limits blooming and pollination, but I think the real culprit was the bone dry weather last summer. We got just enough rain when the berries were almost ripe last summer to get a decent crop.

Blackberries fruit on two-year-old canes, I think last summers dryness limited the growth of canes that would bear this year.

If you have ground and conditions blackberries like, you can hardly kill them off. I would not hesitate to bush hog rows through a patch, this will get more sunlight into more plants and probably increase your overall crop. Nor does it kill them to rip up the ground a bit. Actually promotes new, stronger growth in my experience here.

My wife likes to freeze blackberries. She washes them just a little, too much will make them soggy, just get the spiders out :laughing: Then she spreads them in a one-berry deep layer on aluminum foil. Foil, berries, foil, berries until your freeze container is full. When thawed, they taste almost fresh, but have to be used immediately or they turn to mush of course.

Dave.

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #16  
Ours did awesome this year i am still picking. Its my second year for the plants, most are over 7' tall. Norse farms has an amazing product. I will only use them for berry products anymore.

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #17  
If you have ground and conditions blackberries like, you can hardly kill them off. I would not hesitate to bush hog rows through a patch, this will get more sunlight into more plants and probably increase your overall crop. Nor does it kill them to rip up the ground a bit. Actually promotes new, stronger growth in my experience here.

I think for the 8 years we lived 60 miles south of Dallas (west end of Navarro County) we had a good crop of blackberries every year from a patch that was about 4' wide and 50' long. I kept it down to that size by mowing the grass around it with the lawnmower which also meant mowing any new blackberry sprouts trying to spread. That far south, our crop was finished by, or before, the end of June each year. Then I'd mow it all down with the brush hog, then go back over it with the lawnmower, spread a little ordinary granular lawn fertilizer on it, and water it.

Of course up north, they ripen considerably later. We picked blackberries in central Oregon on August 18, 1991, to make jelly, cobblers, and blackberry syrup for pancakes, but a day or two earier we'd seen a lot of green ones along the coast.

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #18  
Here in Western Oregon we have several different kinds of blackberries. They are picking Marionberries, the evergreens are not ready yet, and I don't know where the Loganberries are. Boysenberries should be just coming on. The invasive wild Himalayas have a heavy crop and promise to yield thousands of tons of nice juicy berries, but won't be getting ripe until the middle of August.