Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year?

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #21  
Here in Western Oregon we have several different kinds of blackberries.

:laughing:Yeah, I'd picked lots of "black" berries, some of which were called boysenberries by some folks, but I didn't really know anything about them until we bought that place in the country. So I went to see my county extension agent and got some literture and little information about taking care of the blackberries, and WOW! I had no idea there were so many different varieties.

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #22  
Heck, I just wish I could get some to grow. I have planted 4 sets and over a 2 year period they just died out.

I had great luck with them in Erath county, after 2 years they where hard to control.

I may have to do a little more research a find a cultivar that will grow here in Wise Co.

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #23  
Here in Western Oregon we have several different kinds of blackberries. They are picking Marionberries, the evergreens are not ready yet, and I don't know where the Loganberries are. Boysenberries should be just coming on. The invasive wild Himalayas have a heavy crop and promise to yield thousands of tons of nice juicy berries, but won't be getting ripe until the middle of August.

I seem to have two varieties of black berries. One has longer cone-shaped fruit and the other is more round and squat. We didn't plant any of them, they came with the property and are all wild, or spread and went wild from plantings decades ago. They grow in sunny spots along my trails through the woods.

Someday, I should try to figure out what varieties they are, or maybe they have hybridized by crossing on their own.
Dave.

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #24  
they're late here, like everything else this year. I'm still picking raspberries and blackberries haven't even come close to starting yet.

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #25  
I ve had several flats on my tractor fronts by cutting blackberry bushes that were old some canes the size of your fingers. I must say some of those may have been 5years old at least before i cut them (well 5 years of growth, uncut. plants were much older)

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #26  
Everything seems to be on schedule around here. The first pic is a good crop of Huckleberries. They are just a little tart but should sweeten up in a week or so. Second pic is Blackcaps. I don't know for sure what the species is but they are like a black rasberry. Last pic is the Himalayan Blackberries, should be a good crop.

Attachments

• P7300031.JPG
    P7300031.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 83
  • P7300036.JPG
    P7300036.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 85
  • P7300040.JPG
    P7300040.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 77
   / Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #27  
Took a pic yesterday of ours. It is finally going to be sunny, with only some cloud, for the whole week. Temperature should be in the high 70'sF so hopefully that gets them going. :)

Attachments

• BackFence&Farm 027.jpg
    BackFence&Farm 027.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 78
  • BackFence&Farm 028.jpg
    BackFence&Farm 028.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 74
  • BackFence&Farm 026.jpg
    BackFence&Farm 026.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 66
   / Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #28  
Okay, my 2 cents, The blackberrys here were great, most were larger than my thumb..I have two types, both are thornless. I keep them on a row fence and cut them back every year. the blueberrys are about gone too. I cut the top out to about 6 feet high, some of them were the biggest I have ever seen. Now i have a bumper crop of Green Turkey figs, they are really doing well, and we are converting some to jelly..I do feed plenty to the birds as I cut the tree to about 10 feet tall..

/ Blackberries: Too Early? Late? Bad year? #29  
Okay, my 2 cents, The blackberrys here were great, most were larger than my thumb..I have two types, both are thornless. I keep them on a row fence and cut them back every year. the blueberrys are about gone too. I cut the top out to about 6 feet high, some of them were the biggest I have ever seen. Now i have a bumper crop of Green Turkey figs, they are really doing well, and we are converting some to jelly..I do feed plenty to the birds as I cut the tree to about 10 feet tall..

Congratulations on the good harvest! You must have gotten some of the rain that passed to our south here in Missouri. I suppose I could have kept a few more things going by irrigating, but even some of the stuff I've irrigated hasn't been able to deal with the nearly 30 days of 95+ temps. What's it been like there?

Chuck