Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #21  
I've had JD mowers for 35 years. Never saw one where the blades were sloppy on the spindle.

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #22  
Oldoak
Don't think the correct blades have any slop in them.. check to see if JD blades and the correct part #.

For certain there is not "considerable slop" in factory blades for the mower deck.

Blades are stamped with part no., and would be real interested if you'd offer the stampings on your blades. Could help many that may read this thread.

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #23  
Although I don't think it is the cause of the problem of the blades hitting each other, I do think JD's design is BAD. On the mower deck for my X758, the holes in the blades are considerably larger than the spindle shoulder. That inordinate amount of clearance doesn't allow for precise centering of the blades on the spindle which can cause the blades to be out of balance. Not good engineering! And yes they were original blades and JD replacement blades have the same sloppy fit.

Other than that single issue with the mower deck, I certainly love my X758!

That doesn't sound right. All JD blades I've seen (or 3rd party JD replacements) have a hole the same size as the shoulder on the end of the spindle. Self aligning and pretty hard to mess up. The stock and Gator blades for my x758 are sized correctly.

Rob

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #24  
My 62D uses blades that are a tight fit in the shoulder with a smaller bolt. It's a pretty good system. However it is possible to tighten the bolt with the blade offset and not seated on the shoulder if you don't pay attention. (Don't ask how I know that. )

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #25  
Yep, I'm guessing that's what happened. Just not sure we are going to find out. :)

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #26  
Odd that the OP hasn't been back here.

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #27  
I'm sure that most folks realize this but don't know that anyone has mentioned it in this thread: Most mowers with two or more blades have the spindles offset several inches front to back so the blades overlap for a clean cut don't hit each other.
Having said that, my mower is a 48" with two blades that are not staggered but they are timed via gearboxes and flats on the spindles to prevent contact. It's an Exmark Navigator.

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #28  
The OP has not signed in since the first post.. and previous post was over 4 years ago. So not a very active TBN member.
Also, as K7LN mentioned, this could be a bit embarrassing to discover..
But the thread may help others who run across it in the future.

The time I recall not having the blade seated was discovered when I moved the blades around by hand, looking to see that the tips were passing at the same point. If a blade is bent, then they don't pass in the same plane. That test showed right away that something was wrong.. and it was a blade not being centered on the spindle shaft correctly.

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #29  
I once heard that in premier sail boat racing, a competitor once threw a cotter pin onto another boat.

This thread reminds me of that. I had no idea it was "stale". Now, we will never know. I'm not sure I can live with that.

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #30  
I once heard that in premier sail boat racing, a competitor once threw a cotter pin onto another boat.

This thread reminds me of that. I had no idea it was "stale". Now, we will never know. I'm not sure I can live with that.

What does that first statement even mean??

As for 'stale', are you misinterpreting beenthere's post? He was saying the OP had not previously posted on the forum for 4 years before creating this thread. This thread is only days old. It is not some old thread revived.

It is always nice when an OP follows up with results or the final solution. I hate it when someone lobs out a question and then never reappears.

Rob