Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #31  
Or throws a cotter pin onto your boat prior to a competition.

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #32  
Or throws a cotter pin onto your boat prior to a competition.

I still don't get it. Must be an inside-the-sport story or something. Is extra weight that bad for sailboat racing? Or does it refer to finding a mysterious part that you think may have fallen out from something?

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #33  
EXACTLY! Drives you CRAZY!

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #34  
Since we're going off topic, years ago I was overhauling a Datsun 1200cc truck engine. I pulled it apart at my Dad's place, put the parts in boxes and took it home. When I finally got around to putting it back together a few months later I had two half circle shims I couldn't find a place for. Finally I gave up in frustration and called my Dad for advice. He laughed and told me I had WD45 clutch shims that must have been in the box.

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #36  
I always have extra parts and I still am kind of sane.:confused2::confused2::confused2:

Did my 50 hour service pulled the hydraulic filter shield down and found a short small bolt, Don 't know where it come from...:confused3:

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck
Thanks everyone for the support and replies, and I'm sorry about my apparent misuse of the forum and poor forum etiquette. This was not my intent. When I created the thread, I thought I had checked the box to receive notification emails when replies were posted. I guess I didn't after all. When I didn't get any emails, I just didn't check back until the weekend. Apologies.

To clarify one detail, these are OEM blades that are original to the deck. They've been taken off and remounted a number of times for sharpening, cleaning and routine maintenance.

Take them off and start over and you should be fine.

The solution to the issue I encountered was as simple as this. The spindle has a shoulder that the blade rests on, as others have said. The bolt simply holds the blade to the shoulder. In the relationship between the hole in the blade and the spindle shoulder, there is maybe 1/8" of slack or "wobble". I took the blades off and put them back on and there was no issue. Then I loosened the two outer blades and pulled them each toward the center blade and tightened them down. When I did this "on purpose", I was able to re-create the issue. So my problem was a product of misaligned variables and just going too fast. I brought the question here because I thought there could be a problem much bigger than that.

Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future. And again thanks everyone for the replies.

IMG_9438.jpg

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #38  
Thank you very much for the update.

Yep. Sometime in the future someone might have this problem and do a "search" here. They may find their problem and fix it because of your update. Thanks again!!!

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #39  
Thanks for the update on the issue. Seem weird that there is that much play between the hole in the blade and the shoulder on the spindle. Decks I've had didn't seem to have much play at all and seemed to have 1/4" or so between blades even if I did line them up to meet.

I'd suggest for anyone installing blades to ensure when you put them on that when you spin them by hand they don't meet up. If two end up that way loosen on up and re-clock it. Little insurance for situations like yours.

Rob

/ Blades Collide on 62D Mower Deck #40  
Thanks everyone for the support and replies, and I'm sorry about my apparent misuse of the forum and poor forum etiquette. This was not my intent. When I created the thread, I thought I had checked the box to receive notification emails when replies were posted. I guess I didn't after all. When I didn't get any emails, I just didn't check back until the weekend. Apologies.

To clarify one detail, these are OEM blades that are original to the deck. They've been taken off and remounted a number of times for sharpening, cleaning and routine maintenance.

The solution to the issue I encountered was as simple as this. The spindle has a shoulder that the blade rests on, as others have said. The bolt simply holds the blade to the shoulder. In the relationship between the hole in the blade and the spindle shoulder, there is maybe 1/8" of slack or "wobble". I took the blades off and put them back on and there was no issue. Then I loosened the two outer blades and pulled them each toward the center blade and tightened them down. When I did this "on purpose", I was able to re-create the issue. So my problem was a product of misaligned variables and just going too fast. I brought the question here because I thought there could be a problem much bigger than that.

Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future. And again thanks everyone for the replies.

View attachment 549123
Red color is my doing to highlight just what I complained about (sloppy fit) in my comment #22. And of course a few chimed in right away about having the wrong blades, etc, when I had two sets of O.E.M. blade for my deck. Now you just confirmed the same poor design that I found. :thumbsup: