Block Heater Unplug first mandatory?

/ Block Heater Unplug first mandatory? #1  

Tony H

Platinum Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX
This may be a coincidence but maybe it's something that I should just know to do.
Lot's of snow and 0 degree temps. The other day I have the Block Heater in for a few hours. Hopped in the tractor and started it up. I realized the Radio did not turn on. Then I look at the gauges and I see no Lit up switches and the Tack is bottomed out. After a quick panic that a freak'n Mouse got to my wires, I look to find I have a blown fuse. Replaced the fuse and all is good. The fuse had no reason to blow. it has not blown again. I was thinking that maybe it had to do with the block heater being plugged in as I started the tractor. I thought the Heater was isolated so the AC ground and DC ground would not conflict. Anyone have this problem? Is it common practice to unplug heater first?

/ Block Heater Unplug first mandatory? #2  
It should be completely isolated. A lot of those block heater cords are in rough shape from being unplugged as the tractor backed out of the barn and the extension cord got tighter and tighter :)

/ Block Heater Unplug first mandatory? #3  
This is a long shot coincidence. The AC from the heater would have to somehow fail in the heating element.....but that only causes one fuse to blow-no way. The AC side doesn't use the tractor for a ground or neutral or power. If the paranoia is high plug the block heater into a GFCI outlet- that will trip with the slightest problem in the element or circuit.

Something probably occurred when you hit the starter that caused a voltage spike that took out the fuse. It's a 1-1,000,000 chance (voltage spike from starter that folks debated for pages about adding a diode etc yada yada yada) but it happened to you today.

Be happy you had a spare fuse and put your mind at ease. That fuse probably won't blow again and if it does it's not related to the block heater.

/ Block Heater Unplug first mandatory? #4  
Interaction between the heater and your DC wiring, no way, no how. Maybe the QC on the fuse wasn't great.

/ Block Heater Unplug first mandatory? #5  
I think it's that "V" plow of your's,... get rid of it:rolleyes: It's cursed.:eek::p ( pm me for a price:) )Out of curiosity, what did that fuse protect (if you know). Personally, I also don't think it had anything to do with your block heater, unless the heater coil blew, in that case, it wouldn't work anymore.

/ Block Heater Unplug first mandatory? #6  
As the others had said, can't see any relation to the block heater and the fuse blowing. On the same note tho, The block heater I put on mine , a Zero Start, said not to run the engine with it plugged it, something about air bubbles causing localized overheating. I know you didn't do it intentionally but I thought I'd throw it out there..............Mike

/ Block Heater Unplug first mandatory? #7  
If you really what to know if your block heater being left plugged in caused the fuse to blow, try the same procedure again. At worst case, you are only out the price of another fuse. Just make sure you have an extra fuse to replace the 2nd blown one, just in case.

/ Block Heater Unplug first mandatory? #8  
Unplugging the block heater first is not mandatory. It is a good habit to get into though.

/ Block Heater Unplug first mandatory? #9  
Unplugging the block heater first is not mandatory. It is a good habit to get into though.

So true! Prevents the dreaded Drive of Shame with the cord dragging down the road......

/ Block Heater Unplug first mandatory? #10  
From the Temro site:

Do not run your engine while the engine heater
is plugged in.

This will create an air bubble around the element which
will then cause the element to burn out prematurely.