Blueberries

/ Blueberries #81  
This is our second season with Blueberries. Lost 3 of our 6 bushes last year, probably didn't water them enough in the fall when it got so dry. I am going to try not to repeat that this year. They say you are supposed to pick the buds off them the first year so they grow less berries to allow them to use that energy to grow a better root structure, does anyone subscribe to that theory?

/ Blueberries #82  
How do you keep the birds away?
We have a hopped raised bed. With the black netting, but because of snow we have to remove it in the winter and have to replace it the next season!

Any one have any suggestions on doing it another way?
View attachment 864490
Could you roll it up on a long piece of PVC? That's what we did with the sides on our greenhouse plastic for ventilation in summer, but I see no reason it wouldn't work with netting just as well.

/ Blueberries #83  
I have 3 large bushes that I have basically neglected, that have grown to about 12 ft tall; that I got probably 15 years ago, and planted about 5 ft from the house. I guess I didn't think they would get that big... Anyways, they stay well watered by the roof drip line. Tried to start more bushes, away from the house, several times; and never had any thrive. Very sandy soil, and it's hard to get them enough water to thrive, without a constant irrigation source.

/ Blueberries #84  
We put drip irrigation under our blueberry bushes and they get watered automatically just like all of our flowers, vegetables, hanging baskets, planters, etc...

/ Blueberries #85  
We have a hopped raised bed. With the black netting, but because of snow we have to remove it in the winter and have to replace it the next season!

View attachment 864490
Going to be more interesting this year because they are getting so much taller. We have a set up like yours with the PVC, but our garden fence isn't as tall.

/ Blueberries #86  
This is our second season with Blueberries. Lost 3 of our 6 bushes last year, probably didn't water them enough in the fall when it got so dry. I am going to try not to repeat that this year. They say you are supposed to pick the buds off them the first year so they grow less berries to allow them to use that energy to grow a better root structure, does anyone subscribe to that theory?
I'm no expert, but sacrificing a dozen berries this year for better roots and plant feeding next year makes sense.

/ Blueberries #87  

View attachment 864490
I upgraded to the woven polyethylene game bird / aviary netting meant for game keeping. It is much more durable, at least in our experience.

Like this;

All the best,

Peter

/ Blueberries
We get almost 48 inches of rain annually (plus a couple of inches of snow.)

Monthly goes from 5 inches in May to 2.6 in August. 1 in 4 days (roughly) has rain.

Thunderstorm as I type this.

We need to supplement at times, but once plants are established, they are good with what God provides most of the time.