Blueberries

/ Blueberries #61  
Mine are at my place in Mississippi. Have about 20 plants. Never seen a bird eat any,nor the deer(heavy population). Mulch with pine straw.Usually get about five gallons. Last year we had a hard freeze around March 15. The bushes already bloomed, and we only got two pints! Let the little sprouts come up. Very easy to propagate. Have about 25 started in pots. Check out U tube.
The birds tear through ours. Good year, maybe a 3 gal bucket, but the birds really knock that down.

/ Blueberries #62  
We wouldn't get a single blueberry without netting.
Birds will take them all.

/ Blueberries #63  
Mine are at my place in Mississippi. Have about 20 plants. Never seen a bird eat any,nor the deer(heavy population). Mulch with pine straw.Usually get about five gallons. Last year we had a hard freeze around March 15. The bushes already bloomed, and we only got two pints! Let the little sprouts come up. Very easy to propagate. Have about 25 started in pots. Check out U tube.
How are propagating your blue berries and what time of the year are you doing it?

/ Blueberries #64  
How are propagating your blue berries and what time of the year are you doing it?

I have gave away lots of plants from mine.
I wait till fall then I will pull up a sprout and cut it off from the main plants root system.
I will keep at least 6 to 8 inches of root with the sprout. Prune the sprout back to 6 inches and plant.

/ Blueberries #65  
I've had some limited success with taking a fresh growth, soft cutting, and putting it in some root growth product, and sticking it in moist soil in a pot, and covering the pot with plastic. It's pretty limited success.

/ Blueberries #66  
paulsharvey, That is what I do, except for the plastic. 90-95% success. I do this in the winter. By Spring they will bud out. Transplant into a bigger pot until early next Spring. Plant in it's permanent location.

Last edited:
   / Blueberries #67  
I was pruning some of my bushes the other day. I’ve got a couple with witches’ broom, unfortunately

/ Blueberries #68  
Love those wild blueberries! The Costcos in our area occasionally have seasonal wild blueberries, I think from Canada. Small, like those in Maine that Rustyrion describes. Seem to be sweeter than the larger Kirkland cultivated blueberries that are available at Costco year-round.
They are. I routinely buy store brand Maine blueberries for my freezer. One time I didn't notice they were just "blueberries"... the package was the same except for one word. They were like eating lemons...
My dog didn't mind them a bit, however.

/ Blueberries #69  
They are. I routinely buy store brand Maine blueberries for my freezer. One time I didn't notice they were just "blueberries"... the package was the same except for one word. They were like eating lemons...
My dog didn't mind them a bit, however.
Anyone ever try lemon curd and blueberries on waffles? :p

/ Blueberries
Fruit is setting. I guess we need to wrap the bird netting before they start to snack.