Bobcat CT230

/ Bobcat CT230 #21  
timswi said:
Not everyone has your feelings on the matter, think before you type.

I am not degrading anyone's equipment or their opinion of their purchase here. I am simply stating facts, take it how you want but I want to make sure people know why I said his comparison was Apples-to-Oranges and the facts show why. I don't think the BX series is bad, if I wanted a dedicated mower with loader capability it would be the first on my list.

BTW, When you said "denegrate" I believe you meant denigrate. Spellcheck after you type. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / Bobcat CT230 #22  
Notwithstanding this opinion : "to me that makes it a lawnmower with a loader", there is nothing much insulting here, just statements of facts. The facts are what they are: The BX is a better mower and the Kioti is a better loader/backhoe/ground engager. These machines aren't at all comparable. Just look at the weight difference. Same is true when comparing a 50 hp CUT to a 50 hp Utility tractor or true TLB.

The BX makes sense for a lot of people. It fits what they need. But, let's get real here. It's a false claim to say that it's in the same league as the CK20 for loader/backhoe work - not even close.

/ Bobcat CT230 #23  
Notwithstanding this opinion : "to me that makes it a lawnmower with a loader", there is nothing much insulting here, just statements of facts. The facts are what they are: The BX is a better mower and the Kioti is a better loader/backhoe/ground engager. These machines aren't at all comparable. Just look at the weight difference. Same is true when comparing a 50 hp CUT to a 50 hp Utility tractor or true TLB.

The BX makes sense for a lot of people. It fits what they need. But, let's get real here. It's a false claim to say that it's in the same league as the CK20 for loader/backhoe work - not even close.

I never said they were even remotely comparable. One is a small farm tractor and the other is a small CUT. I still disagree that my BX23 is a garden tractor with a BH & FEL. I've had A GT, and this is no GT.

I just don't like the way that the BX is being discussed as almost a toy, it certainly is not....Whatever.

/ Bobcat CT230 #24  
I never said they were even remotely comparable. One is a small farm tractor and the other is a small CUT. I still disagree that my BX23 is a garden tractor with a BH & FEL. I've had A GT, and this is no GT.

I just don't like the way that the BX is being discussed as almost a toy, it certainly is not....Whatever.

Nobody said it was a garden tractor! Why are you getting your britches all in a bunch over my comment that the BX is a "lawnmower with a loader"...? That is exactly what it is, it's a great lawnmower that has a loader. Once again nobody said it was a garden tractor! If you think it's not a lawnmower then what do you call a tractor that primarily cuts grass? :rolleyes: :D :D

/ Bobcat CT230 #25  
Nobody said it was a garden tractor! Why are you getting your britches all in a bunch over my comment that the BX is a "lawnmower with a loader"...? That is exactly what it is, it's a great lawnmower that has a loader. Once again nobody said it was a garden tractor! If you think it's not a lawnmower then what do you call a tractor that primarily cuts grass? :rolleyes: :D :D

I'm cool...relax. What exactly is a lawnmower with a loader then?

Yes, I cut grass with it, but I also dig ditches, holes and do landscaping with it. I maintain 600 ft of driveway. Moved over 100 ton of gravel this summer.

Leveled and graveled the neighbors garage in prep for concrete. Dug a 200ft ditch for his electrical and water.

Last year I dug out a clay area to install a pond, and moved the solid clay with no problem at all. Can I do that as fast as you? I'm guessing not, but speed was never an issue when I bought it.

One of they guys in the neighborhood is a township heavy equipment operator, and he loves my BX. He sees it as a great compromise utility tractor. So I guess not everybody sees it in the same light.

Sound like a lawnmower?

Look, I'm not picking a fight, this thing is a very capable machine that does far more than just cut grass. That's all I'm saying.:)

/ Bobcat CT230 #26  
Having owned (and loved) a CK20 TLB and always having a lust for a BX TLB too, I'd say that everyone is right. The CK is a bigger tractor and specs higher as a CUT but the BX TLB as a SCUT is just as wonderful a machine. Smaller TLBs (both fit in this category) are really extremely useful tools. True the CK will lift, push and drag more but at the same time the BX will get into places where the CK will seem too big. I'd rate the CK as worth about six men with shovels and the BX maybe four men but they both get the job done better than dismounting and picking up one of those horrible shovel tools.

Having moved up to a 40hp TLB with nine foot BH I can tell you that there are some jobs that I just cannot do nearly as well as if I had one of the smaller TLBs. I spent about two hours a few weeks ago trying to delicately redig a garden next to our house. Would have been much easier with either the BX or CK20 and I would have done much less damage to the lawn.

Be happy with whichever of these two machines you have.

/ Bobcat CT230 #27  
Having owned (and loved) a CK20 TLB and always having a lust for a BX TLB too, I'd say that everyone is right. The CK is a bigger tractor and specs higher as a CUT but the BX TLB as a SCUT is just as wonderful a machine. Smaller TLBs (both fit in this category) are really extremely useful tools. True the CK will lift, push and drag more but at the same time the BX will get into places where the CK will seem too big. I'd rate the CK as worth about six men with shovels and the BX maybe four men but they both get the job done better than dismounting and picking up one of those horrible shovel tools.

Having moved up to a 40hp TLB with nine foot BH I can tell you that there are some jobs that I just cannot do nearly as well as if I had one of the smaller TLBs. I spent about two hours a few weeks ago trying to delicately redig a garden next to our house. Would have been much easier with either the BX or CK20 and I would have done much less damage to the lawn.

Be happy with whichever of these two machines you have.

Amen brother....:D

/ Bobcat CT230 #28  
Look, I'm not picking a fight, this thing is a very capable machine that does far more than just cut grass. That's all I'm saying.:)

All I am saying is that as capable as you think it is, it will never be comparable to CUT such as the CK20 in terms of capacities. So don't tell me that a BX for the same price as a CK is a good deal when the CK is so much more tractor. Once again, Apples-to-Oranges...

/ Bobcat CT230 #29  
You can get a full size tractor for about the same you pay for a super nice sub-cut. You can't make a full size small when you need it to be, nor can you make a sub-cut handle large attachments that require both weight and power. They make both for a reason. It is now, and will always be more impressive to see a small machine do a big job than the other way around.

/ Bobcat CT230 #30  
It is now, and will always be more impressive to see a small machine do a big job than the other way around.

This has been an interesting thread. I can see both sides of the fence of this issue, but why stop there? There's always something that will outspec something else. To me, and probably a number of others, the CK20 and a SubCUT are both dinky. One's just less dinky than the other. :p :D I think a topic like this is moot. It's all a matter of perspective. Anyway, I quoted the above because I agree with it. SubCUTs fascinate me in how they cram so much into such a small package. I am always amazed to see what people do with their small machines.