Bobcat to discontinue Tractors?

/ Bobcat to discontinue Tractors? #61  
I posted my concerns about this back in July and I'm glad I went with a Kubota. I was sooooooo close to getting a Bobcat but after doing some research and finding out that Bobcat dealers were dropping the tractor line and Joes tractors, taxidermy and used cars were picking them up, I started to wonder why. Talked to the bride and we decided that if the Bobcat dealers don't believe in them, it might be a good idea to spend a little more $ and get a Kubota. Glad I did, now.

Let me first say I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. That being said: my impression is that Bobcat dealers didn't like the tractors more because of a mis-fit between their business model and their customers, versus anything bad about the tractors themselves. Kioti's success is all you need to see to know that these are good tractors. But Bobcat's customers are more commercial/industrial, and I think it was just too much for them to reach down to the home market. Combine that with the upcoming Tier 4 emissions requirements, and I can see why they weren't motivated to stick it out. Tractors are just not Bobcat's core business.

/ Bobcat to discontinue Tractors? #62  
Surprising news.
Went by my dealer to talk to the service teck about an issue. Doors closed and everything gone. So I called the old number. Good news is another company (actually owned by the original parent company) has picked up the dealership. They are a tool rental place that only had Bobcat equipment on the lot. Better news is they are ready and willing to take care of my needs, even loaning out a trailer to bring my unit in. They also brought in a real service teck from Texas to do work.

The owner took the time to ask about my unit, any issues and my past experience with old dealer. He understood my past frustration. Night and day difference in listening to my concerns. Even out of warranty they are bring in parts to fix my sticking peddle for free (Bobcat is aware of this issue and now has a fix for this) While in he will have service double check the past work on my low lift power to the loader - again - free This dealer knows where their bread and butter is.

So out of this dark could is a sliver lining.

/ Bobcat to discontinue Tractors? #63  
Is this fresh news? I just read it this morning, but I don't follow the Bobcat brand closely. The good thing is that Bobcat will surely continue to support the tractors for a while, and Kioti should always be there for parts if needed.

Industry News - Bobcat Discontinues OEM Tractor Agreement; Will Focus on Core Products - Rural Lifestyle Dealer

============================

Can't say that I'm surprised. Three years ago when I was in the market for a small tractor. My visit to the Bobcat dealer in Houston was a wasted trip. Nobody in sales, nobody in tech service, no help period. After waiting for "the" salesman to get back from lunch, I finally gave up and left.

ps My Kubota has been just fine, thank you.

/ Bobcat to discontinue Tractors? #64  
Wow! I think as current owners we should be very happy with what we have and enjoy the fact that we came in right before this wonderful tax the EPA has pushed on the public!

Sab - good point also should help the older units hold some value. The construction company I work for buys a fair amount of machinery and we have been going Tier 4 as we replace old equipment. For contractors that have projects in states like California you have to run the newer stuff. We have been selling older stuff at great prices especially for South American and Russian markets. On the new tier 4 equipment even the manufacturers are concerned about how the warranty costs are going to go on the new engines, they don't have any real history to work from. The systems include urea injection, filters that have to have idle time to recharge and crazy stuff like that depending on manufacturer. For people that are Not subject (hobby farmers etc) to the new regs depending on location the old equipment will be far cheaper to service than the new machines.

/ Bobcat to discontinue Tractors? #65  
Bobcat's customers are more commercial/industrial, and I think it was just too much for them to reach down to the home market. Combine that with the upcoming Tier 4 emissions requirements, and I can see why they weren't motivated to stick it out. Tractors are just not Bobcat's core business.

I think you hit the nail right on the head with this one. In Richmond, VA where I live, my dealership just recently got bought out by a Bobcat dealership based out of Winchester. The new company had a completely different idea of what was selling in the Richmond area based on their own experiences. The original Bobcat of Richmond primarily sold CUT's, where Winchester's primary bread and butter was skid steers and construction equipment.
In the first 6 months of the takeover, the New Bobcat of Richmond started out with a very construction based inventory which drastically changed over time to primarily CUT's out front and in the back lot. Mini excavators and SS's were mostly rented out. I'm sure other locations have different buyers, but at least at the Bobcat of Richmond, tractors are selling much better than skid steers.

I've been very happy with my CT122 and if Bobcat were to keep selling these tractors I would probably buy my next one from them! The CT335 would be a nice addition to my property!

/ Bobcat to discontinue Tractors? #66  
jonnyc1999 said:
I think you hit the nail right on the head with this one. In Richmond, VA where I live, my dealership just recently got bought out by a Bobcat dealership based out of Winchester. The new company had a completely different idea of what was selling in the Richmond area based on their own experiences. The original Bobcat of Richmond primarily sold CUT's, where Winchester's primary bread and butter was skid steers and construction equipment.
In the first 6 months of the takeover, the New Bobcat of Richmond started out with a very construction based inventory which drastically changed over time to primarily CUT's out front and in the back lot. Mini excavators and SS's were mostly rented out. I'm sure other locations have different buyers, but at least at the Bobcat of Richmond, tractors are selling much better than skid steers.

I've been very happy with my CT122 and if Bobcat were to keep selling these tractors I would probably buy my next one from them! The CT335 would be a nice addition to my property!

I know where you can get a great deal on a CT335SST with 108 hrs on it, and a 8tb backhoe! :)

/ Bobcat to discontinue Tractors? #67  
So I talked to my dealer this morning, and to his knowledge, Bobcat will continue to sell these tractors for another year. His other bit of news is that they tried to buy one of the tractor manufacturers but were unsuccessful. He did not know which one though.

/ Bobcat to discontinue Tractors?
They will continue to sell until they are out of product, but I doubt they will buy any more tractors from Daedong in 2013. So what you say is true in a practical sense, but it is also true to say that as of now Bobcat has discontinued the compact tractor line.

/ Bobcat to discontinue Tractors? #69  
A quick comment on the Tier 4 junk. This is what happens when government tries to be benevolent and "help" us out with regulations. The result will be less options, less retailers, and less innovation in the tractor other than engine emissions and higher cost of production. Oh, and just like taxing corporations, guess what they pass the increased cost onto the consumer. Also, who likes regulation more than big business? Come up with BS fantasy land fuel and mileage requirements and the smaller tractor producers can't keep up and it kills any kind of start up companies. There you go, 2-3 choices left, until smaller companies can replicate the technology and do it cheaper---- then the government comes in and moves the **** bar again and the cycle continues. Rant off....

/ Bobcat to discontinue Tractors? #70  
The newer emission is going to change the equipment business for years to come. They have nothing but trouble with the trucks and such. I hope they dont put urea or DPF's on off road equipment because if they do I dont want one...