Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac?

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #11  
Ken: I can't fault your reasoning, but I'll give some responses to expand a bit:
<font color="red"> 1. He has a farm.. he'll have one machine.. and eventually will want to(or have to) do farming stuff.
</font> Our farm raises only horses and ponies, so I can't speak to a lot of other farm activities. Brian doesn't plan to raise crops - he has others to do that. For fencing, tilling, grading, bucket work, digging(front hoe) work with forks, and mowing, I find the Power Trac a lot easier and better suited than a conventional tractor
<font color="red"> 2. Logging.. pulling power.. higher FEL lifting capabilities.. </font>
You're right there. Certainly anything involving pulling power or raw lift capability favors a powerful 4wd conventional tractor and FEL.rather than the PT 1850 Brian is looking at. But, I have a winch mounted to a quick attach plate that I can pick up in 30 seconds. If I tie the Power Trac to a tree, I have a rated pull of, I think, 10,000 lb. And with a grapple bucket, I pick up 1100-1200 lb. We have some bigger logs for my bother's sawmill -- we can't pick them up with the JD 2240 or the Power Trac, so we drag or roll them. I doubt much of Brian's work will require more brute force.
<font color="red"> 3. Ground Clearance.. I've seen skid steers get stuck in mud or manure where the trench would only be a foot to a foot 1/2 deep. Once you bottom out.. you're stuck. </font>
That's certainly true of skid steers, but not a problem with the Power Trac, and I assume not with the Toolcat. We've gotten everything we own stuck, including the PT, so can claim some expertise. First, the PT isn't out of business when the belly pan is on the ground. It has a remarkable capability to wiggle it's way out to dryer ground. I've never gotten it stuck where I couldn't maneuver it out except where I was also against a tree or fence. We have put conventional tractors deep enough in soft stuff so that we had to get a tow. Once they start to dig, the ground clearance disappears in a hurry. Most recently, for instance, our 950 (2wd) dropped quickly so that the rears were unloaded by the brush hog which wouldn't lift any higher. The PT wouldn't have had any problem mowing that area. It wouldn't have sunk in at all. (light tire loading)
<font color="red"> 4. Mower Size.. mowing a 20 acre field w/ an 8ft mower will def. be a chore.. need to size the equipment to the tasks at hand.
</font> Couldn't agree more. Most of our pasture mowing is with a 6' brush hog on a JD 950. My own preference is the PT with 6' front mower, with a 57" Acrease rough-cut self-powered wing mower. I average about 9' actual new cut per pass. For the flat areas we'd dearly love to have a bigger rig, with a 15' batwing, for instance, but it's not in the budget. We have about 60 acres of pasture that has needed cutting about once every two weeks from April to now, this year. Fortunately, we have several people to do it. If we had a 15' rig behind something airconditioned (with drink holders) we'd certainly get more volunteers. But there are hills and tight places that I wouldn't take any conventional tractor where the Power Trac is completely comfortable.
<font color="red"> A question: Why does the 60hp Power Trac's lifting capabilities seem so low.. my 35hp TC35D lists higher lifting capabilities.. are the specs listed in a comparible format? I'm I reading it wrong? </font>
My PT 1845 and the PT 1850 have somewhat limited lift weight and height capacity for their horsepower. They are lighweight for the power, and initially designed as slope mowers. If I weren't doing so much mowing as a percent of my work with the machine, I'd prefer a 1445, which is heavier and bigger, less slope-capable, but with more lift capacity. The 1460, with the same power as the 1850 Brian's looking at, is even bigger and heavier. The PTs lift height is limited by the design a bit. The lift arms are shorter than conventional FEL or skid steers, pivoting ahead of the driver.
As you see, I am a real proponent of the Power Trac. I don't claim it does everything better than every other machine. It is the Swiss Army Knife of tractors, however, and can do a wide array of things very well compared to a conventional tractor. (Most of us don't claim it will replace a combine any time soon, but some of our brags get pretty outrageous /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) The machine does a lot of things that I hadn't even thought of when I bought it. If only one machine is going to be available, I'd certainly want the PT or Toolcat. They aren't really tractors, they're implement carriers, but will do most of what tractors will do and most of what skid steers will do, as well.

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac?
Ken & Charlie,
Charlie covered some of my thinking in response to Ken. Here's why I still think a Toolcat or PowerTrac is preferred to a conventional ag/utility tractor FOR ME, despite Ken's points:

1. & 2.: Between the accommodating (yet still successful) f/t farmers who grow crops on our farm and friendly neighbors, I have access to equipment AND operators who can be called on for infrequent tasks screaming for a conventional ag/utility tractor. But most of my projects will be suited for articulated or 4-wheel-steer 4WD machines of 4-5,000 pounds.

3. A Power Trac, a Toolcat or any wheeled machine can and will get stuck. But the maneuverability of oscillating, articulated/4-wheel-steer implement carriers should help avoid some sticky situations and help get out of others.

4. Those 20 acres of lawn and pasture are not in one flat field. Much of it can be mowed infrequently. It is spread around the farm and much contains hills and trees where large batwing mowers would have difficulty navigating. Ken, I do agree wide mowers are preferred for large acreage mowing, unless obstacles and terrain prevent their use.

Also: The PT 1460 does have a 2400-lb. lift arm rating to 8 ft. and 12" ground clearance; PT 1850 has 1200 lb.+ and 8" ground clearance; Toolcat has 1500 lb.+ and 10.5 inches.

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #14  
Ken:
If you're ever in the Annapolis area, drop me a line. I'd be happy to show you the PT.

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #15  
Thankyou.. use to visit/dine in Annapolis quite a bit years ago.. are you close to the area where they are looking to build the new Maryland Equestrian Center.. def. will make the surrounding farmland prices climb even higher then they are now. Same goes for you.. if you're near Thurmont.. def. welcome to stop by.. Thanks Again!

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #16  
I have a toolcat. It is a very refined heavy duty piece of equipment. Having 2 seats is very nice. Mine also has a AM/FM/CD player in addition to heat and air. The 4 wheel steer turns on a dime, and does not damage turf.

I do not like driving on steep side hills with the toolcat.

I can put most any skid steer attachment in the front, and get some of the attachments from a skid steer rental store.

I also like a liquid cooled Kubota diesel engine with cold weather starting glow plugs. Mine also has a block heater. The Power trac did not offer any cold weather starting options.

The resale on Toolcats is unbelievable. The powertracs I have been watching lost at least 50% of their resale value within a couple of years. I could have bought a couple year old PT1850 with dual tires and a mower deck for around $12,000. I thought about buying it. The machine just looked so massive and close to the ground. For farm use I deceided not to buy.

The toolcat also has a 2000# power hydraulic dump - very smooth and nice.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Good Luck

Yooper Dave

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #17  
BrianSouthernMD...

I was curious, so I called the local Bobcat dealer to ask about the Toolcat 3PH, PTO, and rear SCV.

The answers I got was yes on the PTO and rear SCV, but no on the 3PH.

The PTO is driven by a hydraulic motor. As you mentioned, its rated in the 40 to 50 HP range on a 5600T. I was told the PTO, rear draw bar, and rear SCV (an electric diverter off the loader's dump circuit) are designed to pull something like a 12 to 15' batwing turf mower.

If you confirm a "yes" on the 3PH, let us know in this thread.

/ Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac? #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The resale on Toolcats is unbelievable. )</font>

I thought you were just telling us about the incredible deal you got on your low-hours, used Toolcat...

Hmmmm.....

Yooper Dave,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="red"> The 4 wheel steer turns on a dime, and does not damage turf. I do not like driving on steep side hills with the toolcat.</font> ])</font>
The Power Tracs are better extreme slope machines. I tested the Toolcat on my slopes and it was fine for most of 'em but there are limited areas where I'd be more comfortable using my walk behind equip., or a Power Trac 18xx).

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="red"> I can put most any skid steer attachment in the front, and get some of the attachments from a skid steer rental store.</font> )</font>
This is a great advantage of Toolcat over Power Trac. My nearest Bobcat dealer is also a major rental store and rents several dozen or more attachments that are suited for Toolcat.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="red"> The resale on Toolcats is unbelievable. </font> )</font>
I think you said you ended up with a 2003 Toolcat, but understand Bobcat upgraded improvements to axles etc. made since then, for all earlier Toolcats. I found that noteworthy, even though I'm looking at a new 2005 Toolcat.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="red"> Let me know if you have more questions. Good Luck Yooper Dave </font> )</font>
What attachments for Toolcat have you purchased so far? If a mower, is it the Bobcat 72" one and do you have the anti-scalping wheel in the middle on it?

<font color="red"> </font><font color="blue" class="small">( BrianSouthernMD...
I was curious, so I called the local Bobcat dealer to ask about the Toolcat 3PH, PTO, and rear SCV. The answers I got was yes on the PTO and rear SCV, but no on the 3PH.

The PTO is driven by a hydraulic motor. As you mentioned, its rated in the 40 to 50 HP range on a 5600T. I was told the PTO, rear draw bar, and rear SCV (an electric diverter off the loader's dump circuit) are designed to pull something like a 12 to 15' batwing turf mower.
If you confirm a "yes" on the 3PH, let us know in this thread. )</font></font>
bam747,
In addition to 12' to 15' batwing mowers, my dealer had photos of a Toocat pulling a hay mower and a hay baler, using 46hp rear PTO etc.