Boom Float for Snow Plowing?

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #1  

Song Dogger

Tractor
Bobcat ToolCat 5610G (2019)
I have a 2019 5610 with a 96" Bobcat v-plow and a Bobcat SB240 72" snowblower. I planned to float the boom while using these implements on my mile long dirt/gravel road with a high crown and plenty of twisting, undulating terrain. But, I just read the manual - Bobcat does not recommend boom float for anything except leveling loose material while driving in reverse. I'm sure the concern is boom damage.

I do have the flotation kit on the v-plow, so it floats laterally (left and right) 10 degrees, but not up and down. The snowblower is fixed, no flotation any direction.

Anyone plow snow with the boom in floating position? If so, seen any issues, good or bad? As a newbie, is floating the boom even the best way to do this?:confused3:

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #2  
My plow has a chain going from the top of the quick attach plate to the plow frame. If I tilt the plate forward, the chain is slack, and the plow floats. I do all of my plowing in float like that. I keep the loader arms about 12" off the ground. If I need to pick up the plow blade, I tilt the plate back, and I can quickly pick up the plow, much faster than picking up with the loader arms.

_DSC0554.JPG

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #3  
I plow with an 84" Bobcat snow blade and a 72" Bobcat SB200 on my Series D 2009 5600 on our curving and undulating paved driveway. We also have lateral cracks in the driveway where the blade and the blower's edge abruptly stop sometimes. I use the boom float ALL the time. It's the only way to get a clean scrape and get good traction on the steeply sloping 12% grade north facing grade. I know where most of the cracks are and I approach them slowly and curl up to pass over them and then curl back down. I have unwittingly hit them abruptly bringing the 5600 to a complete stop numerous times. I've been doing this since late 2008.

I don't however float my boom on gravel driveways that I clear for neighbors.

DEWFPO

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #4  
I have a 2019 5610 with a 96" Bobcat v-plow and a Bobcat SB240 72" snowblower. I planned to float the boom while using these implements on my mile long dirt/gravel road with a high crown and plenty of twisting, undulating terrain. But, I just read the manual - Bobcat does not recommend boom float for anything except leveling loose material while driving in reverse. I'm sure the concern is boom damage.

I do have the flotation kit on the v-plow, so it floats laterally (left and right) 10 degrees, but not up and down. The snowblower is fixed, no flotation any direction.

Anyone plow snow with the boom in floating position? If so, seen any issues, good or bad? As a newbie, is floating the boom even the best way to do this?:confused3:

Nice machine and attachments... you really went all in LOL

I don't have a toolcat, but in my L6060 I run a 96" straight FEL mounted blade, I will float it to the pavement, then pull it out of float and give it a tap of lift, and that way I get a good scrape, but take some of the weight off the edge of the blade, and it is easier on the moldboard trip when I hit an expansion crack in a concrete driveway.

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #5  
My plow articulates plowing and so I don't use boom float. However, pushing snow is pretty easy work for a loader.

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #6  
As most others have said, you want the blade to float. That allows plenty of weight for clean scraping with a blade that size, and adds the weight of the FEL to the front axle for much better traction and steering. My plow is similar to Eric's above, but just a little older.

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #7  
Nice machine and attachments... you really went all in LOL

I don't have a toolcat, but in my L6060 I run a 96" straight FEL mounted blade, I will float it to the pavement, then pull it out of float and give it a tap of lift, and that way I get a good scrape, but take some of the weight off the edge of the blade, and it is easier on the moldboard trip when I hit an expansion crack in a concrete driveway.
Same, L4060HSTC & previously L3200. If you float the loader you usually loose steering & often end with the front tires well off the ground. The plow on my old L3200 had rotational & vertical float. Worked good when things froze up but still plowed a lit of gravel if it was soft. The plow on the new machine is fixed (hydraulic angle though). You plow a LOT of gravel with it & dont clean as well. Ran it 2 seasons so far. Was planning on rebuilding the mount to give me vertical & some rotational float. You want as much weight as possible on your tires for traction & steering. Only the minimum required weight on the plow to get it to cut into the snow enough.

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #8  
on my 2005 series A toolcat I run both the bobcat V blade and the snowblower, all the driveway is gravel, with the snowblower if the snow is deeper than a foot I lift it a couple inches off the ground and blow, coming back in float sunning on the skids to clean up, the V blade I run in float on the skids, most times tipped back to prevent it digging in

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #9  
My plow attach to bucket almost like you have and I don't use float,if you raise loader see what the distance from plate until plow lifts..should be couple plus inches should enough.

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #10  
The Snowsport plow I use on the front has the float feature built in so I DON'T float the boom.

026_1.JPG