Boom Float for Snow Plowing?

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing?
Sounds like some use float, whether it be the boom or built into the plow, and some don't. So far, though, nobody seems concerned about boom damage using float in forward motion (Bobcat recommends reverse only). So, I'll give it a try both ways, with and without boom float, and check results. Maybe I wind up floating the boom in shallow to normal snow depths, but in the deeper stuff, maybe I lift the plow a bit so the front wheels support its weight to improve steering and keep me out of the deep borrow ditches - even if it means plowing a second time to clean up.

One thing I failed to mention - I have Groundz Keepers (2 inch pipe, Groundz Keeper Snow Plow Attachments from Crystal Steel House) installed over the v-plow cutting edges, so that should lessen the tendency for the plow to gouge into the gravel/dirt surface when in boom float mode. And reduce boom stresses.

Floating the boom increases traction? I like that! But, wouldn't lifting the boom put more weight on the front axle and give better steering traction?

I plow with an 84" Bobcat snow blade and a 72" Bobcat SB200 on my Series D 2009 5600 on our curving and undulating paved driveway. We also have lateral cracks in the driveway where the blade and the blower's edge abruptly stop sometimes. I use the boom float ALL the time. It's the only way to get a clean scrape and get good traction on the steeply sloping 12% grade north facing grade. I know where most of the cracks are and I approach them slowly and curl up to pass over them and then curl back down. I have unwittingly hit them abruptly bringing the 5600 to a complete stop numerous times. I've been doing this since late 2008.

I don't however float my boom on gravel driveways that I clear for neighbors.

DEWFPO

Sorry, should have included DEWFPO's quote that I'm responding to. Anyway, DEWFPO, floating the boom increases traction? I like that! But, wouldn't lifting the boom put more weight on the front axle and give better steering traction?

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #14  
Sorry, should have included DEWFPO's quote that I'm responding to. Anyway, DEWFPO, floating the boom increases traction? I like that! But, wouldn't lifting the boom put more weight on the front axle and give better steering traction?

Lifting the boom on an even surface would increase traction, but if your scraping an uneven surface with the boom locked it can lift weight off the front wheels. That's been my experience. I use boom float all the time when clearing snow. If I get stuck, I just lift the boom a little bit to transfer more weight onto the front wheels.

DEWFPO

Lifting the boom on an even surface would increase traction, but if your scraping an uneven surface with the boom locked it can lift weight off the front wheels. That's been my experience. I use boom float all the time when clearing snow. If I get stuck, I just lift the boom a little bit to transfer more weight onto the front wheels.

DEWFPO

I get it, makes sense. Thanx for clarifying.

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #16  
Doesn't your plow have skid shoes on each side ? Set them down an inch or so. Then use float. The skid shoes will follow the road contour so the pitching of the tractor won't dig up swells and valleys. This also prevents the binding and digging of the plow when you have it set at a high angle. My 8'er is frame mounted and I run it at 45 degree angles each way.

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #17  
Float on the boom puts most (half?) The weight of the loader/boom & all of the weight of the plow on the plow & not the wheels. Leaving the boom fixed leaves a lot of weight on the front tires for traction & only the weight of the plow on the plow.

/ Boom Float for Snow Plowing? #18  
Almost 100% of my snow removal is over "roadmix"...basically a combo of compressed 3/4" crushed material and sand. Until that material really froze-up solid, I would almost never float the blade due to dig-in. Even after a thorough freeze-up I'd still almost never float the blade. Ultimately I got rid of my blade and now I use my blower (SB200) exclusively. With that, I'll float it when on blacktop or concrete occasionally, but I don't ever float that heavy-assed thing otherwise.

Almost 100% of my snow removal is over "roadmix"...basically a combo of compressed 3/4" crushed material and sand. Until that material really froze-up solid, I would almost never float the blade due to dig-in. Even after a thorough freeze-up I'd still almost never float the blade. Ultimately I got rid of my blade and now I use my blower (SB200) exclusively. With that, I'll float it when on blacktop or concrete occasionally, but I don't ever float that heavy-assed thing otherwise.

They are hefty, aren't they? My v-plow with the flotation kit is about the same weight as my SB240. My road material is similar, 3/4 minus crushed limestone with all the fines in it. It packs like concrete after a couple rains, but the surface will soften up under a wet snow and can peel right off. I'll just have to experiment with float vs fixed boom and adjust to conditions. Lots of good advice here to try, can't wait to give it a go.