Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery
Doesn't it have a knob that pulls out/in to free wheel ?

Even if it did, I'd still go your route.

Although that chain gives me the heebie jeebies. Probably fine thou.

No neutral/freewheel that I can detect. Just a throttle lever and a fwd/rev pedal.

You'd be surprised. I used them to hold wire mesh onto the brush guard of my four wheeler. Rarely had to replace any.

I've got different sizes from 10" 50# rating up to 28" 175# rating.

That's right. If you ever tried to remove one without the aid of snips or a knife, then you have some idea of what they will take in tensile (stretching) load. As long as you don't wrap them around any sharp corners they will hold a surprising amout.

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #14  
Baby Grand......That Boom Pole made your day. Sometimes I forget that I have one. You told us in another tread as to why you have the chain link attached to the ROPS, but I forgot. So, what was it?

Baby Grand......That Boom Pole made your day. Sometimes I forget that I have one. You told us in another tread as to why you have the chain link attached to the ROPS, but I forgot. So, what was it?

When pulling ropes and chains I get a deep, uneasy feeling - something along the lines of "what if that rope snaps and it comes at my head like a freight train?". I noticed that many of the logging winches now come with a screen up top to protect the operator and decided that even if I couldn't afford a new logging winch, I could knock together a serviceable screen. I also use it to carry my loppers and spare bungie cords:

PC150058.JPG

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #16  
That chain gives you alot of range and is quick to adjust too. I like it. :thumbsup:

That chain gives you alot of range and is quick to adjust too. I like it. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Gordon. That was a bonus that I hadn't anticipated - large adjustments can be made much more quickly than with a turnbuckle type of toplink.

Willl brought up a good point about safety. In using this arrangement I took into account that there is some risk to using it, in that the boom can swing back at the operator unchecked. Something to keep in mind.

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #18  
chain is often used as a flexable top link for some brush hogs.

Yeah and if you hit something with the front the rotary cutter could come on you.

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #19  
Yeah and if you hit something with the front the rotary cutter could come on you.

as the driveshaft on the PTO with standard U-joints only has a flexablity of about 15 deg not to mention a limited amount of compression in the length, it will be a LONG LONG way from "comming on me"

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #20  
as the driveshaft on the PTO with standard U-joints only has a flexablity of about 15 deg not to mention a limited amount of compression in the length, it will be a LONG LONG way from "comming on me"

Your tractor does not have enough power to bend a PTO shaft? At a minimum you have a very good chance at wasting a shaft if you hit something with the front of the cutter.